Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, Oct 6th

Hey Guys,
    Been kinda a long week eh? I'll answer that.
    A big fat yep. I getta do my weekend marathon, which will be good. Sometimes I let myself get a little couped up here at home which turns into ice cream and peanut butter. So yumm you guys try it.
    Anyway gotta be short as I need to help my son study for a test. I actually have one kid that likes to get a's. The other two are happy with d's so dont get jealous Barb or Janet. I have the other kind too. My "A" kid is absoultly drivin to get good grades. I dont know what happened there. I mean its practically a emergency visit if he has an 89.9 percent. Now this is a good problem but also a little nerve wrackin on the other side too. Kids....

Good News....I heard from Liz tonite. She is home from the hospital and doin well. I'll blab more as soon as I get permission. I forgot to ask for that. Gosh, I feel like such a plonker. Dopey me...

Getting paged from the darlin, youngest nag.
    Gabby :flower:

Friday, Oct 6th

Thanks for all your hard work, Gabby--you really are such a sweetheart!
    :l
    susan
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Kathy, i"m with you.. this only feels like a divorce if we allow that to happen and I see no reason for that to be the case... well done for your first tiring days.. they do pass.

We have just finished having visitors for 3 weeks. I'm kinda over it and feel the need to put time into me... always a challenge for me to maintain that its ok to do that....

Brigid

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

OMG I thought I was the only one who liked putting peanut butter on my ice cream!
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Day 3

Good morning Abbers,
          I think i might have over reacted a bit yeasterday...I see Absville as proberly the best tool i have in my new toolbox..And the thought of it getting damaged or broken was a real concern for me..Having slept on it, and getting over the initial panic i dont see why it shouldnt work..So long as some of the old timers keep popping over with that valuble advice.
          I made a change to my stratagy yesterday...I have started taking Kalms...Initially to see how it goes, and if i dont think they are enough i will step it up and go for something stronger. I also avoided a situation last night that in the past i would have let happen..It was about 5pm and my wife had to take the girls out to get their hair done for the school photograph (today) which meant i was left with the younger children and the baby...Around 5 is proberly the worst time of the day for me and the baby was crying.....A baby crying when your starting to get cravings is a lethal combination to blow....I calmly asked Lisa if she would mind taking the baby with her..And after i explained why she was more than happy to help....I didnt much like asking her...I felt a bit useless...but to keep me calm its what i had to do...And when Lisa came home we had a pleasent night because i wasnt wound up like a spring.So i'm still learning...But i will crack this.
          Also for me i think its better if i stop going on saying 4 months with 2 slips....I think its a bit like a cusion....I need to say to myself right...I'm back to day 1...well 3...and build from there....That way i think it will be harder for me to slip...Having worked so hard for my previous days....I'm not saying everyone should do this...Just think it will work better for me.
          Hopefully today will be back to normal...i want to address some people personally later on..
          Gabby i heard from Liz to.....Its such a releif...she sounds positive and a lot more focused...I'm still a bit worried about Lou Lou and CV though....I would just like to know if they are ok.......
          Gotta go pick up Lisa and Callum from toddler group...Will be back on later.............Have a good day all......Love Macks:l
          I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
          One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Mornin' Gabby Susan Brigid Mike and Macks- and all those yet to post
            Day 7

I think we've learned a lot the last few days. One thing you said today Macks is something I found that came out of our discussions-- the fact that you are doing what makes sense for you - asking for some help when you need it, trying some supps, counting from day 1 etc.
            I think we all kind of rely on each other and then want to do everything alike - and it seems as with anything else, we are all just a little different so we need to pick out the things that work for us.
            Anyhoo...
            Gabby - thanks so much for directing this discussion the last few days. I have to say I think we all acted just like grown ups!! Considering we are a fairly emotional bunch I'd say we did great.

Love this place! going to work now but I'm treating myself to a french vanilla cappuccino when I stop at my gas station on the way in this morning. My daily drive in to work is 45 min so I have time for a large one.

I have to make arrangements today for going back to new orleans - Kathy, can you just come with me this time? We'll do some sightseeing, go to cafe du monde, walk along the Mississippi....cmon...it'd be great.

And I think going out with the group after dinner sounds less and less apealing the longer I'm there.
            I think two more weeks and I'm done.
            :l
            Lisa

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Quick good morning

Hi all. Day five and hangin' in there.

Mack, maybe you need to stop counting. Just say, today, I won't drink, or today, I will ___________ instead of drink. Just a thought.

Peanut butter and ice cream - sounds good. Peanut butter and anything sounds good. My house is usually only stocked with healthy stuff, so peanut butter is the only thing that I could get into trouble with. Do you think that peanut butter and a Weight Watchers fudge bar could work?? Nah, me either!

Lisa, you must have a lot of frequent flyer miles! Lots of people think that traveling is glamorous - I know better. My heart goes out to you.

Got to go to the gym. Will be back later hopefully. Busy day - Fridays are supposed to be my day off, but somewhere along the line, my boss forgot that!! Oh well - I do get paid by the hour!

Love to all.

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Good morning all! Day 6 for me.
                Today is kinda quiet at work for me, which I kind of like but kind of hate because that means the day might drag but then it also means I can catch up on some things.....
                This is a holiday weekend in Canada- the Thanksgiving weekend. So I am going to give thanks. I will give Thanks for having a wonderful community and support group here. I give thanks for having a wonderful family. For having a job. And I will thank each of you for being here.
                I love ya
                Jen
                DAY 6!
                Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Feeling More Optimistic

Well, it's day 4 for me. I'm grateful to have made it. I had a few thoughts of drinking, espec. with all the hubbub around here, but I guess it's the piss ant in me that helped, because I just kept repeating to myself, "I will NOT drink over this, I will NOT drink over this!" , and now things are settling down a bit, and I am glad.

I am facing an "occasion" tomorrow night. My old friend from New Orleans is coming up to visit for the night before heading back to N.O. Fortunately, he drinks scotch, which doesn't tempt me--I think the stuff is wretched. But I don't want to drink, period. This is what I have thought of so far to help me not drink.

1. Invent a new drink for myself using juice, something bubbly like ginger ale and a dash of bitters.
                  2. Tell my friend about MWO and why I'm doing it.
                  3. Keep my long-term goals in mind and realize that it is only a short-term gratification to drink.
                  4. Make some absolutely fabulous healthy treats to eat so I won't feel deprived
                  5. Take my topa and supps just before he arrives
                  6. Send the scotch home with him (even though I detest the stuff, who knows what my crazy mind could come up with at a later date?)

I'm open to other suggestions. I know that it might be better not to see him at all, but I'm not willing to do that. Except for lunch the other day, I haven't seen him in 16 years, and I feared I had lost him after hurricane Katrina. I will just have to tough it out. He is so funny that I'm sure I will have a great time without alcohol.

Also, I had an idea about our Absvilles. Communities have different neighborhoods, right? We have our people who haven't been abs all that long and the long-term abbers. What if we called this Absville Downtown Abs and the new Absville Uptown Abs. People often move uptown after they've lived in a city for a while. So why not? Just a thought....

Anyway, thanks for the support Brigid. Glad you are going to get your life back again!

Glad you're popping in Susan.

Hi Mike! I'll take my peanut butter straight up, thanks! I like ice cream and potato chips, although I rarely indulge.

Macks, good for you for asking for help. It is so important to be able to do that. I have always had a hard time of it, but I find that when I do, people are usually more than happy to help out!m>

Lisa, yes! Let's do New Orleans! AF! What a treat to go with you! We can sit on the Riverwalk with our coffee and beignets, and I'll pretend they're not loaded with carbs!!

Hey Barb, Happy day 5! Hope you get to a regular workweek again sometime soon! Hope you have a good workout!

I'm giving thanks for thankful Jenn! Thanks for being you Jenn! Hope your quiet day turns out to be the good kind of quiet day!

Last, but not least to the Honorable Gabbington, who has just done an awesome job keeping things together these last few days. Hat's off to you Gabby!:good: :thanks:

Hugs,

Kathy

PS: Did you notice I'm in a better place? Duh!:H
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Abbsera-KedAbbsera! Ok that is my lame attempt at a magic trick this morning. It is a trick that's supposed to make cats talk, for real. So you guys don't have to do the talking for them. All right, I'll admit, I've been hangin' out at Gabby's house too much! :H

Very glad to hear that Liz is doing OK. Hope she knows that warm thoughts and prayers are being sent her way~ And also to Lou and to CV.

Hey Macks, so good to hear you are doing what you need to to take care of yourself. Sounds like you made a good call last night. Sometimes all we have to do is ask someone, and explain why we are asking -- and that's all it takes. If it helps you keep your serenity (sorry, I've hung out in AA rooms too long not to use that word, and it fits) then you are more likely to stay abs. And also more likely to be better company. As for how you count days -- whatever works. We all do things differently and the main point is that we all have today. Can we all make the commitment to stay AF today?? From right now thru midnight. (Hey, no fair -- some of you have a head start. It's only 5:30 AM where I am.) Some of us may be aiming for a lifetime of abs, others 30 days, or whatever, but we can all shoot for today. And tomorrow, get up and do it all over again. We can do that regardless of how we count our days. It's just a way of staying focused on the present.

Oh, and Lisa. New Orleans again. My heart goes out to you too. How do you feel about this? I know the nights out with coworkers and the Hurricanes have been a source of some angst the last couple of times. Congrats on Day 7, by the way. Day 7 through 10 were when I started having some pretty tough cravings. Once I got past day 10, I did fine again. How are you doing?

Barb, peanut butter and weight watchers fudge bar?? Hmmm, could be interesting. I have been that desparate, believe me.

And Jen you are doing great.... congrats on Day 6, and Happy Thanksgiving!! I envy you. You live in such a civilized country. [Sorry, won't go any farther into politics here.]

Hey Neil -- are you going to give us a workout report tonight??? I know that helps those of us who get those Friday late afternoon/evening cravings. You might even get someone here on the exercise bandwagon.

Happy Friday everyone!

Mike
                    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Ok....things feel good here this morning. Thats what I wanted to hear. This is only my quick reply.....the kids are being difficult and I gotta bash their heads.
                      kiddin......i wish i had that in me.
                      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Kathy! We must have been posting simultaneously.

I love your suggestion about the two forums (fora? lol) being just "neighborhoods" in the same town. That seems so much more.... neighborly. I'm not surprised that you came up with that. Hmmmm... the only thing I am not so sure of is whether people might think that the terms Uptown and Downtown would have a connotation of one being better than the other? I certainly wouldn't want that. I don't know -- I don't live in a city (never have, unless you count Phoenix which is just one big huge suburb) so I'm not sure if those terms carry any such connotations or not. If so we could use North Absville and South Absville, or something like that.... You city folk tell me what you think.

It sounds as if you have thought through your visit with your friend, and have a good plan for the evening. You have all your bases covered, if you ask me. The only thing I'd add, perhaps, is to have a sober/recovery friend on speed dial in case you need to talk afterwards! I especially like the fact that you are going to tell him what you are doing with MWO. Sometimes we "stay in the closet" about our drinking and recovery when we really ought to "come out." There are situations, perhaps at work, where it's best not to talk about it. But there are other situations, such as with friends, where we might as well just be honest with the other person and get it over with. Who are we fooling, anyway? And why hide it? If we are making a lifetime change, why not tell our friends about it?

So anyway, good luck with the visit -- and most of all, have fun!

Mike

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Kathy, I do forgive you for calling scotch retched!! I find we either love the stuff or hate it. Last time I had it after a long period of not, I thought, so what's the big deal?? by the way, when I want a heathly snack, one of the things I try is ff/sf yogurt, shredded wheat and fruit. Another of my favorites are the microwaved almost fat-free popcorns. Low/no fat ice cream is another one. Have something planned whatever it might be and hang tough. Just act like I am in the room watching you, and I will know. We're in this together, kid!!

Mike, you have to learn these "dieting" tricks. If eat something that is fattening with something that is non fat, the calories are cancelled. If no one sees you eating it, it doesn't count. Eat in the dark - that's another one that doesn't count. Eat off of someone else's plate - it's their calories, not yours. I got a million of 'em.

Jen, hope something interesting finds its way to your workday. I hate when the days drag - I'd rather be nuts. Congrats on day 6 - we're going to do this!!

Gabby, thanks for everything you've done!! All of us mayors who follow are going to pale in comparison I am sure.

Alcohol is not an option today, okay guys?? :thumbs:

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

Holding hands.

Hey Kathy
                            Since we are both going to have "events" this weekend, (mine tonight, yours tomorrow) -and since we have already agreed to a "pact" to not drink - I am gonna propose something really cheesy (and if anyone laughs at me I will just die!) - if I feel myself struggle tonight, do you mind if I picture you holding my hand? Then you can do the same tomorrow night. I am here holding your hand. Same with all of you.
                            Ok now I can just die of embarassment.:blush:
                            Jen
                            Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Friday, Oct 6th

LOL Barb thanks for the dieting tricks!! I'll have to remember those! Especially eating in the dark.

BTW I have posted my hypno experience under Holistic Healing if anyone cares to follow my story about it. I thought that was the most appropriate place to post it.

Comment

Working...
                              X