Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

friday oct 6

friday oct 6

Well it is still Thursday night here in Alaska but what -- Friday night in Oz? And already Friday almost everyewhere else, too. So I'll go ahead and post a couple of thoughts. (More later in "my" Friday morning, though!)

As for sleep, Susan: all I can say is that since I started on topa I haven't had a bit of trouble sleeping. That is a much-appreciated side effect. But I know from past experience how frustrating it can be to either have insomnia, or just wake up frequently. Have you tried the calms forte, magnesium, or GABA? What about melatonin? I bet Xtexan will have some ideas....

And thanks, Brigid, for getting the post started. It's an excellent question you bring up. I'm a great procastinator. One look at the dishes in the kitchen sink reminds me of that. But what am I putting off that could help in my recovery?

Hmmm.... well, exercise. That is what I've been putting off. I have never exercised..... EVER. I find it so hard to be motivated to do any kind of physical activity, I hardly know how to start. I know, I know. Start with a 15 minute walk a day. So that is my answer, that is what I'm putting off. I need to find a way to work that into my program, into my life. I am sure it will make me feel stronger, better about myself, and somehow strengthen my recovery too.

Take care, all. I'll give a report on my hypno session tomorrow morning.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

friday oct 6

I found this on the web...

Life grows brighter when you come to understand. Live with a love and thankfulness for life, and your understanding of it will become more valuable.

Come to understand that the other people in your world have perspectives, purposes and priorities that are different than yours. It will save you from a lot of needless frustration and anger.

Come to understand that loss is a part of life. And you always have every reason and ability to heal.

Come to understand that giving and receiving are always inseparable. The level of abundance you experience is equal to the value and goodness flowing out from you.

Come to understand that sometimes the most powerful response is patience. There are many battles you do not really need to fight.

Come to understand that whatever may have been or wherever you may find yourself, you always have a choice. Choose to live each moment with positive purpose, and you will truly come to understand.

-- Ralph Marston

my response is... I'm a'comin.... wait for me.....

Comment

friday oct 6

Oh Brigid, how wonderful. I especially love the last line:

about time too wrote:
        Come to understand that whatever may have been or wherever you may find yourself, you always have a choice. Choose to live each moment with positive purpose, and you will truly come to understand.
        So much of the time in life we feel as if we don't have choices. Like when we are stuck in a bad relationship but stay in it anyway. Or when we are in a stressful job but stay in it because we won't give up the pay and all the things we think we "need" (expensive car, big house, granite countertops). Or when we continue to live with a vision of ourselves that is defined by others. Or when we drink, just because every cell in our body is screaming for some kind of relief, and alcohol seems at the time to offer that.

We always have a choice. Turn left or turn right. Leave the job or stay. Drink or not. We are writing the stories of our own lives by the choices we make. At the end we will look back and see the story and perhaps wonder, "Why did I struggle so over that decision?"
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

friday oct 6

Brig...that was awesome.
          I liked the part about....Come to understand that giving and receiving are always inseparable. The level of abundance you experience is equal to the value and goodness flowing out from you.
          I want to learn about receiving instead of working so hard on giving. Not that it is a a burden to give. It is very natural for me but I let it over come myself at times and forget about the receiving. To hear that they are inseparable is a different concept. Yet I caught myself joking about it here last night...."someone send me something nice". I was being kinda funny but really when I got private messages....It felt wonderful to get. Like I have to give myself permission to receive that stuff.
          This is an issue!
          And also that part about choices. I try to tell my kids that all the time. They gotta know there is always a choice. And that trapped isnt one of them.
          Thanks guys,
          Gabby :flower:

Comment

friday oct 6

Friday

On the sleep thing try benedryl. Its not addicting and even though I don't fall asleep with it that quickly--the sleep I do get seems to be really good. And there is no next day fogginess. I did end up going to a new doctor and getting Sonata. This works well for me--as it only requires 4 hours of sleep vs. the 8 hours that other sleep meds do. Also, I was told that sleep medication is not addictive (in which you build a tolerance and need more and more), but it can be habit forming in that you "think" you need it every night. So I have been careful with that. My first doctor refused to give me medication because of me being an alcoholic. I was at the end of my rope. I was really fearing that because I was losing the ability to think straight that I would drink if the situation didn't get resolved. In order to protect my sobriety I went to a new doctor whom I did not tell that I am an alcoholic and she gave me the medication at a very low dose. I do not regret it, because the sleep thing was endangering my sobriety. Now that I am sleeping--my outlook daily is so much stronger. I have to add that my frustration with this was--ok you won't give the med because I am an alcoholic--but I might drink if I don't get some sleep. A funny thing happens when I do take the medication--I sleep! My first doctor said that the sleep meds work like alcohol. Well here's the difference between the two--because I am sleeping--I don't continue to put more in my body way past reasonable amount, I don't throw up, I don't aimlessly call people late at night, I don't wake up with bruises on my body, haven't called in sick once etc. And most importantly I wake up refreshed and ready to take on a new day of sobriety.

What have I been putting off? Exercise--and I actually like to exercise! Because of my kids and schedule I really need to get up earlier in the morning and do it then. Quitting smoking is another. Stop drinking Diet Pepsi like it is going out of style. Those three things are my targets for next week. Each one will only enhance my new found sobriety.

Brigid I too have a friend that I need to locate. She and I were both in AA in 2004--I left first and then she did. We did keep in contact somewhat--but I have lost track of her. She is an awesome person, single mom, with a beautiful little girl. I have been having dreams about her- that she is in really bad shape. I asked about her last night--no one knows how to get in touch with her, but it was confirmed that she lost her job due to drinking and she is in really bad shape. In the dreams its as if I am to at least contact her. I am going to do a little bit of internet searching today--but if anyone has any ideas on how to locate someone that would be much appreciated. Her number is not listed--but I think that she is still living in the suburb next to mine.

Kim

Comment

friday oct 6

I have dreams like that bout people too. Often my brother who is alcoholic. When he is in some sort of trouble. I have known in dreams. weird huh?

Comment

friday oct 6

Hypnosis

Hi everyone,

For those that are interested in my hypno experience, check it out under Holistic Healing. I thought that was the best place to post about it, as others (mods included) might find it interesting.

Hope you all have a great day. I'll check back in this evening.

Mike

Comment

friday oct 6

Hey Abbers--
                  What great posts from everyone--and thanks for the sleeping tips...at the moment, though, I just feel so, so terrible that I seriously think I have the flu or something. I've been in bed and sleeping (ironic, isn't it!) all day...so, nothing very useful to add to our discussion but I didn't want to be MIA from our lovely new neighborhood!

Btw, I wonder if we can't come up with something more creative than up or down, north or south to name the two absvilles? I dunno what, though...maybe I'm just semi-delirious...maybe colors or something...or, wait, I know, what about "Absville" and "Absland"--huh, huh??

Okay, back to bed for me....
                  :h
                  susan
                  "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

friday oct 6

Hi everyone,

Mike, when I started exercising it was for 10 minutes now I'm up to 30 minutes and feel good in fact if I don't do some sort of exercise I feel sluggish and get bummed out much easier. Will need to checkout you hypo thread.

Susan hope you get to feeling better. I'm still stuck on your simple phrase from the other day, not sure why it struck a cord but it did. "Whatever it takes" runs around in my head like an endless loop which is much better than that other endless loop that's been running for ever...

Good question of the day. My answer would be putting off organizing all my stuff. I need to go through and purge but don't know where to start and find it hard to get rid of anything. My house isn't to the point where there's a path of newspapers, magazines and stuff, but it's getting there.

This weekend I'm going to try to do a bit more exercise, do a bit of shopping that's been put off for awhile, and try to learn how to relax and have a quiet mind - oh and maybe organize! How about you guys any plans?
                    spacie

Comment

friday oct 6

Hello AbsLand!

Nice ring to it, I think!

Just popped on and wanted to share this:

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." (Maya Angelou)

Let's just repeat that last little bit:

...if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Oh yeah and Halleluia!

susan
                      "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

friday oct 6

Well...ok Absland. I like that too. Pooped....goin to bed.
                        I like this here...I do!

Comment

Working...
                        X