Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is topomax working for anyone?

Hi,

well i went to another doctor yesterday and he won't prescribe topomax either, he says he doesn't prescribe off-label medicne because he could get sued if i died from it.

i am almost ready to give-up, is it really that important to have the topomax?? also is anyone losing weight on it?? i am considering getting it online, but i'm not sure if it is worth it.

any experiences you can give me would help me a lot!

thanks,

saundra

Well....I almost hate to tell you this but....
    Topamax took my cravings away almost right away. I have been alcohol free for about 4 and a half months now. Also I have lost 25 lbs. If I had more time I would elaborate but I love topamax, it has been a huge part of my sucess and dont plan on discontinuing in the near future. gabby
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Yes, I too have been on topamax for approx. 4 1/2 months. Same results. Cravings reduced almost immediately. Weight was not an issue, but have lost additional lbs. Have to be careful not to get too thin. Don't want my Doctor to take me off the topa.

When I went to my doctor, I took the Lancet medical study, a copy of RJ's story, the book, my suppliments, and told my doctor that I had struggled & used alcohol as a way of self medicating my stress for year and that I had allowed it to get out of hand. I was honest with him about how much I was drinking.

I explained to him how hard it was for me to come to him and how ashamed I felt. I was crying and embarrassed. He knows me as a successful type A over-achiever who puts too much stress on herself. He was very empathetic. After looking things over, he, who is over weight said, "I use food - and you use alcohol, as a way of handling our stress. Let's see if we can get you some help."

I don't mean to over simplify, but I think the presentation is very important. Find the right doctor, who you feel comfortable with. Someone who will listen to you and cares.

Blessings and best wishes,

Best
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

thanks for your comments gals, i'mglad to hear that it is working for you.

i really gave a good presentation myself, so i thought. i brought the book, and the lancet report and tried to explain it basically the same way. i even had pages bookmarked so i could keep my thoughts together. i don't know if it is because i am in california or not but it seems like the doctors here are ultra-sensitive to you if you have a drinking problem, it's like it raises a red flag or something and they automatically want you to go through th 12 step program and quit right away! it''s so close-minded..

i'm so frustrated and sick and tired of trying to help myself with something only to get shut down, i am seriously considering going to a new doctor and flat out lie and say i have migraines just to get the prescription. it's really hard on me to get tiurned away, i feel like some kind of freak or something!

if anyone else has any more suggesstions and answers to my questions, i welcome them.

thanks for all your help,:thanks:

saundra

Comment

Saundra-

I tried the program with the supplements and was af for a month. I tried to moderate after that but it did not work.
          I asked my doctor to prescribe Topamax and she agreed. I am currently at 100 mg and I have to say I do not want to drink. I still have psychological urges, but I have actually tried having a drink and I can't finish it. Alcohol just does not really appeal to me. Also, I was a big beer drinker and the Topa makes it taste down-right nasty to me.
          I plan on continuing to titrate up to 300 mg and see what dose works best for me. As far as negative side effects, I have been a little spaced-out, typing can be a little difficult, and I have a problem getting the right words out sometimes (sometimes I actually feel like I HAVE been drinking . All in all, the postives have outweighed the negatives for me and I'm glad I am taking it.
          When I drank, I always felt like an "on" switch was flipped in my brain and I had no "off". Once I started drinking, I just could not stop. I feel like Topamax has given me the "off" switch that I have been lacking my whole life.
          Whatever you decide to do, good luck on your journey.

Jackie

Comment

You are not a freak ( you can go for one for halloween if you would like if that will make you feel better).I say try a diff doctor. Im sure there is someone here from california that knows a doctor that will give it to you if not you can order it one line. What have you got to loose. Ive been on it four days. First day i was not happy about it after that i was fine makes ya a little silly willy but hey they say it goes away.Yesterday not a drop and i didnt even care. iIdrink every day and i dont mean a few either.I vote do whatever it takes to try it out. Youve spent more money on worse things i promise.

Comment

I am not losing weight and I had to go for a few weeks before I got to the point I did not want a drink, but Jackie is not kidding about the "switch". I have not had a drop of alcohol since Sept. 19 and I have no desire for it. My Topa dose is currently 75 am and 75 pm (just went up to that day before yesterday). Doc plans to move me up to 300 to see if it helps w/other nasty vices - we will see. And in the meantime, it would be a bonus if I could control my massive appetite! I'm not overweight, but I will be if I don't watch out.

Try a psychopharmacologist or shrink who specializes in addiction and recovery - or just get it online. Good luck!

Comment

I tried Campral, which is FDA approved for treating alcohol cravings. It worked well for many and can be used in conjunction with Naltrexone (also FDA approved) for additional effectiveness. Campral had an anti-craving effect for me. Problems: lower GI disturbances and it stopped working when I drank.

I've been on topa for a while now. Since I hit 200 mg. have had the same experience others describe as the "off" switch. Still think about drinking but it is only a habit or psychological craving, NOT a physical one.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide. I DO believe that the prescription meds can be a powerful part of recovery.

Mike
                "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Topa has worked great for me as well,I'm in the US, riverpharmacy.com I ordered online no script no problem I'm on 75 total a day,I'd give it a try

Comment

Hi,
                    I haven't tried topa yet, I have been looking at it on line. I found a place that seems to be cheaper than others.
                    I've put a link on my blog if you want to look.

It does sound amazing stuff.
                    Suz
                    Suz
                    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Topamax or not?

I am not comfortable with the idea of taking Topamax (never say never, but I would prefer not to take a drug with significant side effects and possibly unknown long term effects), so I am doing the program using just the supplements and the tapes. I am finding the tapes incredibly helpful. I am just getting started (one week), but I have little or no urge to drink. I was regularly drinking one bottle of wine per night (unless I was working, and on those nights, interestingly, I felt no urge whatsoever, which made me sometimes wish I had a job where I worked every night!), and now I am not drinking. Last night I had one glass of wine out of curiosity. I enjoyed it, but had no desire to even finish the glass. Again, I realize that I am just getting started, so I will keep an open mind. But my plan for now is to religiously use the tapes and supplements, have faith in them, and avoid medication. I am a big believer in the power of the mind, and if you are convinced that something can work, often it can. I am convinced in the power of hypnosis, and I am optimistic about the power of the supplements, so I feel that I have a good chance. In her book, RJ talks about the importance of motivation. I completely agree with her. I think that you really have to be at the point where you are motivated deep down inside. I don't think that a pill can give you that. Clearly, there are many successful ways to quit, so to think that you must have Topamax or you cannot be successful is, I believe, not realistic. Good luck!

Comment

I don't seem to tolerate the topomax. I get nauseous and light headed as soon as I try to go above 25mg. I fainted at the gym last week! I also seem to get really depressed on it, which is why I think I want to drink in the first place. I have tried the entire program twice and two weeks seems to be where I want to Jump off. I just want to feel healthy. Any positive suggestions would be deeply appreciated. karen

Comment

Been using the Topamax for about 3 months, abstinent for over 2 months, at 200 mg for about 2 months. No desire to drink. Have tried to drink a couple of times and just have no desire. This stuff really works for me! Was drinking the BIG bottle of wine every night. No side effects noticed..have trouble once in awhile thinking of a word, but only lasts for a few seconds, get the tingleing in the toes once in awhile, but it goes away. I will swear by this stuff!!

Comment

mary8305 wrote: Topa has worked great for me as well,I'm in the US, riverpharmacy.com I ordered online no script no problem I'm on 75 total a day,I'd give it a try
                            I was going to go to my NP, but decided to order from riverpharmacy tonight. No problems except that it takes a couple weeks to receive the Topa.

Tracy, hopeful

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X