Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcoholism, It Always Gets Worse (Progressive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was copied from "www.choosehelp.com". It's long, but a good reminder.

Alcoholism and addiction are progressive diseases, and unless the user stops completely, the disease will always worsen in severity over time. The intensity of this progression varies considerably, and while some people may drink or drug for many years before things get noticeably worse, they ultimately always do.

Unfortunately, some people, especially those people with dual diagnosis challenges, may find that their addiction or alcoholism can progress quickly, and the devastation of the disease can mount month by month or week by week.

So why does this matter?

The implications of a progressive disease are threefold, and influence diagnosis, treatment, and recovery.

Diagnosis

There is no single medical test that can distinguish with absolute certainty the differentiation between drug or alcohol abuse and drug or alcohol addiction. There are diagnostic tools, and a skilled clinician can make a fairly accurate diagnosis, but since you can’t see it on an x-ray and it doesn’t show up in a blood test, many addicts and alcoholics may continue to deny the existence of their disease.

And since denial is such a hallmark of the condition, and this denial often delays needed treatment for too long; this lack of a clear and definitive testing procedure for the disease is unfortunate.

Addiction and alcoholism are progressive. Use behaviors and symptoms will over time always intensify, and the problem always grows worse. People without addiction do not tend to show this progressive worsening in consumption patterns - people with addictions do. Although the progression of the disease is unfortunate, it does clearly indicate a “disease”, it does at least allow for an accurate and firm diagnosis of the problem, and hopefully compels a denying addict or alcoholic to accept this diagnosis, and get help.

If the drinking or drug use has increased over time, this indicates an addiction.
    If the consequences of the drinking or drug use have escalated over time, this indicates an addiction.

Treatment

If it’s bad now, it’s going to get worse. Alcoholism and addiction don’t go away on their own; some people can get better without professional help (although most addicts do need treatment) but no gets better without a commitment to change.

If you or a loved one wonders about the need for treatment, look at the past to see the future. If you can see that things are getting worse, then you are dealing with an addiction and you can bet the farm that if changes aren’t made, things will continue to get worse.
    Treatment works, but sooner is better than later, always. If there is a problem now, it’s going to be worse next year, and treatment will be more challenging next year. You can’t wish it away, but you can take action to reclaim health and happiness.

No one ever needs to hit the bottom. It’s suffering for nothing, and a tragic waste of time.

Recovery

Addiction and alcoholism are progressive disease, and there is no cure. You can attain remission, but once an alcoholic or an addict, you’re one for life. Recovery is for life, and treatment should never end.

"An alcoholic or addict, who restarts use - even after years of sobriety - will soon find themselves just as they were. An addiction that may have taken years to develop will resume itself happily in a matter of days, and you will be back on the progressive road to ruin.

Staying aware of the progressive nature of the disease helps to defray some overconfidence or false perceptions of complete recovery. Know that you can stay sober for life, and know that treatment works but also remember that there is something inside that remains, and if you awake that addiction that lays dormant, it rises up hungry.
    Treatment works, and anyone can get better, but they have to work at it, they have to accept that they have a progressive disease for life, and they have to make some pretty major changes.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. If it's bad now, it will be worse later."
    Miss October :blinkylove:

Thank you Miss October...great article, so well said. I am reading a book called "Healing the Addicted Brain" and to date it is the most helpful and informative read I have gotten my hands on. Thanks for sharing this article.

R2C
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
    :h

Comment

I know so many will read this and pooh, pooh it because they don't believe in the "disease" concept of alcoholism.

I hope that doesn't derail the true message.

I have gone through and I have seen many others go through, the progression.

I also believe that for those of us who are alcoholics (and not abusers,) that the only method of "curing" yourself, or managing this condition is abstinence.

I have experienced the effect of abstinence and relapse. It amazes me how quickly you are back to the same level and in my case even worse level. I have also seen those who have been sober for years and started again go right back to the level they were before they quit.

It is frustrating, it is unfair, it is maddening.

It is what it is.

Thank you for the post, Miss October.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks for the reminder miss october, As impo i believe abstinence is the only ;cure; for alcoholics.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Excellent article, thanks for posting!

Absolutely, we will slip back to the levels we were at before, or even worse. I think this has been medically explained as the 'Alcohol Deprivation Effect' and proven in scientific studies (Dr Roy Eskapa's book 'The Cure for Alcoholism' details the studies I think).

For this reason, I don't believe abstinence is a likely road to success without other help. I tried AA, and that didn't work for me. So, I continue to follow The Sinclair Method using Naltrexone and have just started Baclofen treatment too.

That is just my opinion, though, and for those who follow abstinence or moderation or whatever is bringing folk their own personal success I have nothing but admiration and will always offer any support I can
          I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Thank you for sharing this, Miss October.
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

A good read, Miss O.
              I like to be reminded that I'm in this for the long haul, and not to get complacent.
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Thanx for sharing!!!

Comment

Thanks Miss, a good reminder.
                  Hill
                  Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi All
                    Very important read no matter were you are in recovery.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08
                    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08

Comment

hi miss O,i do love the article,one of the greatest challenges for human beings since the beginning of time,is drink and drugs,specially in the 20th century,trillions of dollars,ove rthe years ive lerned of many means of beating this ailment,my dear that is what it is,[ailment]now remember i aint arguing ,discussing,man thro the AA program,have regarded as a disease,dr.Silkworth himself never said that,his words were "alchoholic addiction"i myself over 30 years have had overwhelming disagreement with 3 key words,alergy,disease, and addiction,these 3 words have different meanings,if one didnt drug or drink,one would not have it,it mt lay dorment cause there for family had it,but it is dorment,it would be unrecogniseable,even th your parent might of been a mummbling,and all say it idiot,my dear,as much as society says it is,it is not normal to consume any thing at huge amounts,most of all alchohol,the human spesis is the most intelligent being on this planet,not intelligent enough to figure that out,i beleive in the 30 s probition came along,that was the one real shot man in the americas had to battle this ailment,they agin failed,the addiction industry is one of the biggest in the world,and now one one of the most xpensive to treat,doesnt take a genoius to figure that one out,there are many ways to battle this ailment one is just to find people like you,on sites like this,ths is the new wave,just to talk about it,and not be ashamed,againlove the article gyco

Comment

I am living proof of what you are trying to get across to those who still believe they will escape the progression.

I don't know if I believe in the disease concept. I had a lifelong friend who was a drug addict. She said, "It's this disease I have." I said, "It's not fatal. What are you going to do about it?" That may sound cruel but I had already battled alcohol twice at that time and was AF for a couple of years. Feeling a little arrogant?.

My story to prove the point of progression: I started drinking and going to bars at the age of 14!

Drinking was a choice until I was 21. I was a new mother. Married to a wonderful husband and father. I didn't have to work outside the home. Life sounds wonderful. Right? So why was my husband checking the level of the liquor bottle every night when he came home from work.

When I realized he was concerned; I quit. No big deal. The pain of quiting only lasted a couple of weeks.

4 or 5 years later I'm in the same boat! This time when I quit, it was harder and took a couple of months!

5 years later, same thing. At this point I knew I was an addict. My husband was considering divorcing me and taking my children. I bargained with him that I would do whatever it took. I quit. Cold turkey. It sucked. It was 6 months AF before I stopped craving. But the stop craving was probably because my life and theirs was so much happier. My husband and I were as in love as we were when we married. My children were well supervised and loving it.

I was AF for 10 years. I thought I was out of danger. My children were grown and gone. My husband and I was having a great time.

Then we took an exotic vacation with friends. We partied/drank the whole week. That was 1996. I am a hopeless drunk today. I have tried everything I know to stop this progression. I have made days. Weeks. An occasional month. My husband has tried everything he knows to help me, threatened divorce again, and has finally resigned himself to living with a drunk. Not fair. Not right.

I haven't given up. I still have hope. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I know if my last quit was bad, this one will really blow.

Thanks for your info. I hope my story helps someone.

p.s. My friend died a month ago. She had been drug and alcohol free for 6+ years. During that time she had helped me try to get free of my addiction.

Comment

Hi Teba

Thank you for sharing your story. You are a brave lady to be able to get through so many times quitting. I can only try to imagine what all this must feel like.
                          Your story helps me to get a clearer understanding of the poison that AL is and how it can never again be a part of my life.

Tomorrow I will have been AF for 4 weeks. I'm proud of this but I see from your story it can be a thin line between AF and drinking again.

Thank you again. I really appreciate your story
                          H
                          Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Hi Teba thank you for sharing. Dont ever give up trying for where there is life there is hope. I have seen and heard of people who I would have thought it impossible but they have turned their lives around. Post some more and share with us, it does help enormously imo. Wishing you the best on your journey.
                            Keep safe
                            KTAB
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Very touching story. You can do it Teba, Its never too late.

Comment

Working...
                              X