New here - Kudzu and L-Glut Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I am new here and trying to go from what I would consider 'heavy' drinking to a more moderate relationship with AL. My goal is no drinking M-Th (unless there is a VERY special occasion) and limiting to no more than 3 drinks F-S and hopefully no more than 2 eventually. I've been doing great so far (one week in) but I am going to a Super Bowl party this weekend. We are spending the night with good friends who we ALWAYS over indulge with. I was wondering if either Kudzu or L-Glut would be good to take on Sunday to help keep me closer to my goal amount. The 4 of us have been known to go through many pre dinner martinis, followed by 4-6 BOTTLES of wine and even an 'after dinner' drink! I almost always wake up hung over there (we get together about 4-5 times per year) but another of my goals is to NEVER drink enough to feel hung over. Can either of the supplements help keep me restricted? Thanks in advance!

Dear JellyBabyBoo,

:welcome:

We always love new people so a big, warm hello.

We long term moderaters (modders) always like to see those new to moderating try to go for some AF time so consider that for the future. Helps you to strengthen your commitment to change and to make an informed choice between abstaining and moderating.

Sounds like too much temptation with other heavy drinkers to abstain at this moment (esp. Superbowl week-end) so will share some info on L Glut. If you want to read the full article go to the Research Thread and look for my name.

When I was doing research on moderating I came across an article by Dr. Patricia Slagle who explains best why L-Glut is effective.

L-Glut 101:
    Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in circulation in our bodies.

When the blood sugar is low - alcohol may cause exaggerated insulin secretion resulting in severe hypoglycemia (too low blood sugar) Glutamine suppresses insulin to stop the further decline of the sugar levels. It also stimulates glycogen (a stored form of glucose) to be released to help increase the blood sugar to normal levels. These blood sugar stabilizing effects may partially explain why it decreases alcohol cravings, as well as sugar cravings. In studies with alcoholics, 2000-3000 mg 3 times daily decreased the desire to drink, decreased anxiety, & improved sleep. It works best given between meals. It has been used for this purpose in daily doses from 6000-15,000 mg in 3 divided doses. Use upon arising, mid-morning & mid-afternoon between meals.

L-Glutamine may be taken on a daily basis, or kept on hand to manage "craving emergencies" in which the powder from half a 1,000 capsule is poured directly under the tongue. Many MWO members have shared this info with each other stating that this works for them when they are undergoing severe cravings.

Giving Glutamine to rats decreased their voluntary alcohol consumption by 34%. When the
    Glutamine was stopped, their alcohol consumption returned to baseline levels. Studies using high dose Glutamine have failed to demonstrate toxicity. However Glutamine should be avoided in cases of acute liver failure & kidney failure.

Precautions: Glutamine should not be taken by persons with cirrhosis of the liver, kidney problems, Reye's syndrome, or any type of disorder that can result in an accumulation of ammonia in the blood.
    To our good health!

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks so much Eve11 for the great info. I am definitely going to remain AF until Sunday, but I'd just be fooling myself if I even thought for a minute I could abstain for the SB party and end up angry with myself the next day. So, I've accepted that I will most certainly have a drink, but am hopeful that I'll be able to stop at no more than 3 (and hopefully I can stretch 2 glasses of wine over about 5 hours) with the help of L-Glut. I'm going to give it a shot! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Comment

JBB,

What's your drink of choice? If you like beer I have found the O'Douls Amber bach is really quite tastey for a fake beer. You could alternate drinks - real, fake, etc. Drink plenty of water because AL dehydrates a person. Plan on informing us of how the day went and sometimes that helps a person be more responsible...when you're reporting back to someone.

Good luck!:fingers:

:l
        Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Eve11 - thank you for your summary on L-glutamine dosage. I read that and at first thought, wow that is a lot to take. But you have validated that I read dosage correctly. Thanks.

Comment

Eve11 - I am a wine drinker and sometimes do the vodka thing. Strangely enough, if beer is the only thing being offered, I generally will only drink maybe 2 because I feel full and bloated. So that gave me the idea of maybe forcing myself to have beer only - it takes me a long time to drink them and maybe I'll be able to stop at 2! I know other types of AL will be offered, but we're having chili so I can refuse the wine or hard AL and say that the beer will go better with dinner. I'll definitely report in on Monday! Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Eve11! I am reporting in and glad to say that I achieved my goal of only drinking 3 drinks (I stuck to beer!) and am sitting here with a totally clear head. I alternated a beer and then a water for the approximate 6 hours we were there. I still had a great time and feel really good and hopeful. Thank you for the info on L-Glut, I think it did help a ton. Now if I can just keep on going! Thanks again!

Comment

jellybabyboo;803106 wrote: Hi Eve11! I am reporting in and glad to say that I achieved my goal of only drinking 3 drinks (I stuck to beer!) and am sitting here with a totally clear head. I alternated a beer and then a water for the approximate 6 hours we were there. I still had a great time and feel really good and hopeful. Thank you for the info on L-Glut, I think it did help a ton. Now if I can just keep on going! Thanks again!
                You're welcome. Just remember we're all here for you! We have a great support group here and there are many others with good advice as well so we're all just real blessed to have this place to come to.

I was happy I stuck to my plan too. I kept drawing strength from the group here to keep to my pact and I have to say it really does help me when I have the accountability to come here and share my progress. It does help me to say no so many, many times and I'm so grateful to be a mod squad member.

Hugs to all, friends and lurkers. Keep coming here...it works!!
                Eve11

Comment

Working...
                X