can someone please answer my questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long do you have to stay on topamax after the 12 week program, and how do i get my doctor to increase my dosage from 25 mg to a higher dosage when she is prescribing it to me for migraines?

thanks,

saundra

I was just put on Topamax today for headaches - I have to take 25mg a day for one week - then increase it to 50mg a day after 7 days - If I were you I would just call the doctors office to make sure what dosage is best for you! good luck!

Comment

Hey, I think people vary individually on how long they stay on the topamax (maybe indefinitely). I only went up to 200mg and stayed there for about 8 months while I was doing moderation (which worked very well). I am not taking it now and am abstaining. I think you need the topa if you are planning to drink at all, it really helped me control my intake of alcohol. I was drinking 1.5-2 bottles of wine before and only 1-3 small glasses on topa. It did not really curb the initial desire for a drink but definitely helped with the amount I drank. After about 6 weeks of abstinence I decided to stop the topa and have been doing fine. But this was a personal choice (maybe not for everyone). I think you may have to be honest with the doctor about why you want the topa they may not prescribe the higher doses for migraines. I got mine from a psychiatrist. I only felt the effects at the higher dosages, but this differs for everyone, some people do fine at 50 or 100 mg. You just have to listen to your body and monitor your alcohol intake to see what dose is effective. However, if I decide to moderate again I will definitely take the topa again, I know I cannot manage without it. I would recommend doing the whole program along with the topa (supplements, CDs, exercise). I think the combination really increases the overall effectiveness of the program. :crossed: Good Luck! I hope this is helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X