Wednesday October 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday October 11

OK this is just a tad corny, but it's from a Hazelden meditation book I have, and it's for October 11. Considering yesterday's discussion about how we all have to be perfect, I thought it was appropriate. Bear with me.

The bottom line for everyone is, "I'm not good enough."
    -- Louise Hay

The belief that we are not good enough is the basic bad attitude that causes us pain, guilt, shame, and fear. It weakens our body and makes us vulnerable to disease.

Luckily, it's only a belief -- something we have the power to change. We start changing it by being honest about what we believe. If we believe we aren't good enough, we own up. Then, we let the feelings that surround our beliefs surface. How do we feel when we say, "I'm not good enough"? What images come to mind? Why aren't we good enough?

Finally, we admit that we were wrong about ourselves. The truth is, we are good enough, just the way we are. Period. Good enough for everything.

The antidote to all those years of poisonous shame is simple: We tell ourselves how beautiful, good, acceptable, wonderful we are right now. As often as we can, we take Louise Hay's advice, we look at ourselves in the mirror and say, "I love you."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I love and accept myself just the way I am. I open to receive all the blessings of the universe. All that is mine by divine right now comes to me in totally harmonious ways.
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Wednesday October 11

acceptance

Yes, I think that working on just accepting myself. Accepting what I can change and what I can't. There are some changes that are harder than others--but in time I can make progress. Sometimes I can accept others shortcomings. Other times I can't. When people set out to just be malcious and gossipy I have a hard time with acceptance with that person. Some malicous people I can remove from my life--others I have to learn to live with. I try to have compassion towards these people--because people who feel the need to hurt others must be in a lot of pain themselves.

I am feeling a wee tiny bit better today. I had a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. Still a bit anxious. Still a pink cloud day though.....in comparison to how I would have handled those emotions in the past. I know that this too shall pass--as long as I do healthy things in order to deal with it. I just have to be gentle with myself today and do the best that I can.

Comment

Wednesday October 11

Mornin Mike and Kim,
      I always enjoy those little self talks.
      Yep.....I love me! In spite of it all.
      Today is a down day tho. My kids are drivin me nuts.
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Wednesday October 11

Hi Mike, Kim and Gabby,
        I was listening to music as I picked butterbeans for an hour or so. One of the songs was an updated jazzy version of "Just as I am". He knows we are"but" dust.Theres a joke about "butt" dust....have to tell it later! :H He loves us just as we are. Who are we to question our worth?

OK.the joke............
        A mom and her 4 year old daughter were in church and the pastor was saying the benediction in his lowest most holy voice.
        He said Ohhhhhh Lord..........Help us in our lives here on earth. You know we are but dust".
        The little girl turned to her mom and "whispered" not so quietly......."Mom.... what's butt dust"? The service was over! :H

I love kids!
        Nancy:l
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Wednesday October 11

Some very good points there...

If others can love us for who we are, and if God can accept us and love us in spite of our faults, then who are we to judge ourselves so harshly?

I wonder if we alcoholics are harder on ourselves than "normal" people are? I suspect we are, with all the years of behavior that we're not proud of. But I suspect we probably were from the beginning.

"Butt" dust. You gotta love what kids come up with. :H
          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Wednesday October 11

Butt Dust

Great story!

Ended up having a good cry over a regret that I have on my lunch break. Feeling much better......I want more crying its such a great release.

I am off to a meeting tonight--see you guys tomorrow!

Comment

Wednesday October 11

I just dont know how I can live in the moment. Each way I look at it I sabotage myself. I want control over life when it only works well when I lose control. I want to trust and open my heart when I'm too scared to do so. I want to live a life of potential when I"m too scared of what that might mean for me. Its a bummer this fear of mine... cos even though I hate it and I know about it I havent let go of it.

Somehow I need to let myself off the hook and just live now with my gut instinct. I find it very hard.. but it is easier to do now I"m sober.

There is no doubt, when I put in my mind that something will change it CAN. I just have to trust and keep those things in my mind and keep on working towards them.

The issue that Kate raises of consciousness is a big one for me. I have made a decision to be conscious which means I have to take responsiblity and it IS changing things for me.. maybe I'm too impatient with the pace of change. I mean, when I think back on the wreck that came here a year ago I can see that I am different.. I'm still searching for that perfect person that I know does not exist.

Brigid

Comment

Working...
              X