I CAN'T DO IT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I CAN'T DO IT!

After drinking every night for 25 years, I tried to quit, even went 10 days AF, drank one night, went 8 more days AF, drank one night, went 7 more days AF, then drank 5 nights in a row now and I come to realize, I can't quit on my own nor do I want to!!! I just read Roberta Jewell's story and looked at all the supplements, books and hypotherapy cd and I am overwelmed on where to start with that program and realizing I can't afford all that stuff! Any recommendations of what to do next? I'm desperate and discouraged!
    I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
    but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

I CAN'T DO IT!

The supplements may be less expensive at a local place, walmart or such. If you can go into chat or ask if someone can email you the book. I heard someone did that. I wish I knew how, I would do it. OR, maybe someone can send you the book snailmail.
    You are breaking your pattern by having the strength to do what you have so far, keep putting alcohol FREE days inbetween and keep on keeping on! When you want a drink something as simple as pouring an ice water may slow you down from pouring the drink.
    Find Kudzu, LGlut and can you see a DR?

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

I know this might sound trite, but how do you afford your alcohol?

The products that are recommended as part of the My Way Out program added up to only a few weeks alcohol supply for me - if that. Maybe that's another way to look at it?

If you truly can't afford to purchase all of the recommended tools and supplements, you might want to at least get yourself some L-Glutamine. I like the powder form - you can put it directly under your tongue to fight a strong urge in addition to taking a regular daily dose.

Another great resource that is essentially free is AA. A basket is passed at meetings, but you do not have to contribute, and those who can't do not. (many cannot) It has helped me a lot to connect with other human beings locally who share my problem and who have overcome this horrible affliction. (addiction / disease / whatever you like to call it) I like having the chance to talk to people who are where I am, and also newcomers, and also people with 10 and 20 and 30 years of sober living under their belts. I've made a lot of new friends there!

If you can make it for 5 days, 7 days, etc. AF then you KNOW you can do it! I know it's hard. But a much better life awaits you if you just keep after it. There are things that help, but nothing I know of makes getting sober totally easy. You have to want it really bad, and be willing to do whatever it takes to get there. YOU CAN DO IT!

Strength and hope to you,

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Hi S please don't be discouraged keep reading and posting on here and never give up giving up. You will find that losts of people here have had many attempts and then finally managed to be AF for many years - its baby steps to begin with. I am taking great strength from the posts I had a slip after 7 days and have started again today and its only coming here that is helping. If money is low please visit the doctor (although I'm not sure how it works in the USA here in the UK its free to get advice and perscriptions are relatively cheap) why not try putting the money away you would have spent on booze on your AF days to save, just a thought. Again please don't be discouraged we are all here for you :l
        Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

There is a huge difference in quality between a lot of supplements at various price points. One thing about buying them from the Health Store here at My Way Out, I DO trust the quality.

FWIW
          DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Hi, SOS -

L-Glute is available at Walmart for $6 for a bottle of 100. I know I spent more than $6 per day on alcohol. Please hang in there - this was not easy for any of us, but it can be done. I drank for 36 years, that's 2/3 of my entire life. I'm now over 6 months sober. You can do it - never stop believing. The only time we fail is if we give up. Strength, hope, and much, much love to you. :h
            - Dance
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Hi SOS I have just read a quote which I hope will help

"One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself. LUCILLE BALL[/COLOR]
              P x
              Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Other free stuff:

exercise (read the piece in the holistic healing section about the massive benefits of walking)

meditation

library books to inspire you

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...tml#post468186 tons of ideas here
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Thank you so much for all the advice and encouragement. Doggygirl, you are right on! Of course I spend way more on liquor than I would on getting free! So to begin with, ya'll recommend the L-glutamine and the kudku? Has anyone tried the topamax and hypnotherapy? BPleasant, I do see a dr. regularly for my diabetes. He gave me tranzene for alcohol cravings but it didn't work. I am on klonopin, which is a light dose of valium. Nothing seems to help though! But I am willing to try some of the stuff recommended. Thanks to you all for your recommendations and care!
                  I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

I absolutely love the hypnotherapy...it's the only time of the day I actually stop and do something for ME....and I am anxiously waiting on my topamax order to come in
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

If you do get the kudzu, get it from here if you can. Many people here agree that the quality is superior. I never tried it from anywhere else, so I have no comparison.
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Sick of being sick, you mention you have tried various crave reducing options and they haven't worked. Yet you have managed to go several days at a time AF. I'm wondering what your expectations are for something that helps take a bit of the edge off of cravings? For me, the things like kudzu and L-Glutamine "take the edge off" meaning the cravings are slightly reduced from what they are if I DON'T take anything. However nothing I tried removed cravings entirely. For me, it still took very strong motivation to want to change. I HAVE to want sobriety more than I want alcohol to succeed. Nothing made it "easy." It was more about making it a bit "easier."

I used the Hypnosis CD's too and I feel those helped me.

I also love Marshy's suggestions about exercise, meditation, etc. You have to really want this. (I'm not saying you don't - I'm just not sure if maybe you might be expecting a magic bullet that may not exist...)

YOU CAN DO THIS. You've already proven you can go several days. If you keep going instead of giving in, it will get easier. As it is, you are putting yourself through the pain of the early days over and over and over.

(((((sick of being sick)))))) Get as many tools as you can in your corner and then GO FOR IT.

:l

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

I was going to post but after reading DG's post, I will just say "Ditto".

Stick around here and post, read and go to chat. They are all good distractions when you are feeling an urge.

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Well, doggygirl, I've been wanting to stop drinking for years but I finally reached the point that I desperately wanted to quit when I got so drunk that I was in bed so sick for 3 days. After those 3 days, I found this site and the people here gave me the encouragement to stay off of it. I keep trying but I kept falling down. I beat myself up so bad when I fall that I become more and more discouraged in thinking I can't do it. I ordered the kudzu today and I am going to look at Walmart for the other things. It is discouraging to know that I will never stop wanting a drink. I thought after the first week or two, it would get easier and easier until I just didn't want it, but after reading so many post, I realize that will never happen. I will always struggle with the urge to drink. That's so depressing!

Comment

I CAN'T DO IT!

Sick of being sick, the urges get fewer and fewer with time. For me, it took quite a bit longer than a couple of weeks to get free. But I AM free. I didn't get to my hopeless state in a short time (I was a drinker for over 30 years). Considering how long it took me to sink deeper and deeper until I finally had enough, it's pretty remarkable that I have a full and happy life now, with relatively few urges, in just over a year and a half.

Don't give up. Really. You are WORTH the good life that awaits you if you put in the effort and time to get free.

While I believe the addicted part of my brain will ALWAYS be lurking there wanting a fix, I do not get strong urges any more. I found my own way to sober living, and vigilence in my sobriety that keeps my addicted mind at bay for the most part.

You can too.

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X