Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, and tapering down

Hi modders!

I've read a lot here, but this is my first post on this particular board. Maybe I'll join the monthly thread when it turns over on Monday.

I'd be interested to talk to anyone else about the idea of tapering down, rather than picking a day to quit and just doing it. I have a few reasons for trying it this way, and one is withdrawal - my reading tells me that I would be in for some serious health issues based on my history. I'm also interested in evolving new habits, behaviours, and thinking patterns, if that makes sense. Drinking is so tied up with what I do after about 5 pm (beer while making dinner, beer while playing Scrabble, wine with dinner, wine until bedtime....). I feel if I just take it away all of a sudden, I will be setting myself up for failure. This way I can practice putting it off later and later, drinking slower and slower, waiting between drinks longer and longer. And while that happens, I can be substituting activities that I'd honestly rather be doing: hobbies, public speaking events, important documentaries at the rep theatre. You, know, all the things you can't do because you're too busy drinking! My idea is to gradually make NOT drinking a way better, more interesting thing than drinking. It's been a little over a week, and I've cut back quite a lot, I'm ahead of schedule, actually.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences? Greatly appreciated. BTW: I am aware that this whole thing could be a trap my booze-soaked brain is setting in order to keep me feeding it AL. Thoughts about that would be valuable too.

Thanks all!
    "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

:welcome: Canadian Girl,

Depending on how much you drink it could be life threatening to quit cold turkey so tapering down is probably a good idea. We have a lot of posts here that will help you so I suggest starting to read some when you have time. Under the General Section of MWO there's also a Newbie section where you'll find a lot of good info as well.

Good luck, and we're here to support you and each other with this shared struggle we all have.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Canadian Girl, just a suggestion, but something you might read up on is Naltrexone and following The Sinclair Method. Nal has done amazing things to cut down my drinking and has also lead to many many AF days in between. Nothing short of a miracle for me. Life changing, or more accurately, life saving. Good luck to you. Keep reading and never give up.

Comment

If you go into the research thread there is a thread there from puddycat that might help.....................for home-detoxers: How to Taper off Alcohol

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

CanadianGirl,
          I don't know about tapering. When I came to MWO, I went AF for 2.5 months. I do know that drinking a controlled amount is more difficult for me than not drinking at all. That's why so many people choose to go AF. But probably tapering off does work for some, and may be best if you have been drinking heavily daily and are likely to experience withdrawal. I believe another choice is to see an MD for meds to avoid withdrawal.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for getting back to me!

Eve - thanks, I've read a lot here already, and it seems like a very kind, supportive place to be.
            DisEase - I've read a LOT about TSM. As a Canadian, it's not really very possible to get online Rx across the border (I gather). I will go to my doctor and ask for either Nal or Bac if I can't do this on my own, for sure. But I know I will have to justify to her that I have really tried my best, first.
            Mario - I did read the thread, thanks. I actually found that article myself a little while ago, but it doesn't really address the behavioural things I'm trying to do, as well.
            Sunbeam - I hear you. So far I'm doing really well: exceeding my goals for the last 10 or 11 days. But I realize that it's not a cake walk, and I could run into trouble at any time. My plan is to develop better habits so that when I do quit entirely (*hopes*) that "not drinking" won't be the only thing that I'm all about. If that makes any sense. As much as withdrawals scare me, so does the psychological white knuckling.

Anyway, it's all an experiment, and I will let you know how it goes if you'll all let me join in and play too.
            "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

Working...
            X