THE DAY GOD SERVED ME HUMBLE PIE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I felt pretty good making the choice to moderate when I first came here.. My past wasn’t daily drinking. When I drank it usually wasn’t even heavy drinking to most folks. I could get a real good buzz off of 3 glasses of wine and was sufficiently drunk with 4.

It was easy to believe I was an “abuser” of alcohol and not a chronic alcoholic like my father had been. I remember hearing the beer bottle cap popping the first thing in the morning when he would get up and it never quit popping all day. He went through a case of beer a day and then started adding in hard liquor as well. Yet, he would balk if he was confronted about being an alcoholic. He died with cirrhosis of the liver and had been hospitalized numerous times for bleeding varicies but still never believed or admitted he was an alcoholic.

I was fearful of being in denial like he was so was always open to confronting my alcohol demons. When I went to therapy for co-dependence the counselor asked me the 4 standard alcohol questions and of course I failed. As a young 20 something at the time who had gotten into the partying mode and who had abused alcohol on more than one occasion I easily failed questions like: “Have people ever criticizied your drinking?”…well, yes, I had a girlfriend who didn’t like it when I drank too much when out with her or “Have you ever felt remorse for your drinking?” Heck yeah, everytime I had a hangover I had huge remorse.

She promptly sent me to A.A. before she would work with me on my co-dependence issues. “Ok”, I thought. I must be an alcoholic because she says so. So, I quit drinking without any problem or craving, went to my first A.A. meeting and continued for 7 years to abstain from alcohol. Eventually I quit going to meetings and started to notice things about other people’s drinking. “Hey!” I would think. I never drank like THAT!” I started to question whether or not I needed to completely abstain and so I started drinking again. Things went fine for a few years but then I started seeing a pattern of getting too drunk on the occasions I would drink. I wouldn’t count drinks but would just keep drinking at a party without thinking about how much I was drinking and before I knew it I would be slurring or stumbling out the door. That’s when I found MWO so that I could get the support I needed for moderating my drinking.

I was a little fooled by the board when I first came here because I thought it was a board for moderators yet the more I read the more I realized that the majority of people were AFers. Many had tried to moderate and realized that they couldn’t. Like my father, many had a past of hard core drinking…daily drinking where it was tough to get through a day without a drink. I had never been that kind of drinker. Remember when I was asked to quit by the counselor and I said “Ok” and quit cold turkey without a problem for 7 years?. So, I learned to stick to the thread for moderators and if I went to other threads where AFers were posting (like the General Thread or Research thread) I would tread very lightly with what I said as I didn’t want to offend people who knew they couldn’t moderate.

One day someone joined our thread who was a happy moderator. He would expound upon the joys of being able to moderate. He motivated the group and was a big asset in many ways. But, he made a mistake one day. He posted something on a thread that AFers frequented and one in particular got very angry as she felt he was out and out promoting the benefits of alcohol consumption and she felt that that could be detrimental to folks that needed to be AF.

I tactfully defended our happy moderator and then was confronted by the disgruntled AFer who stated that she felt I wasn’t “sensitive to the struggles of others who are not able to drink alcohol in a controlled fashion... and for whom the consumption of alcohol is truly a matter of life and death.”

I didn’t feel that I felt that way. I truly felt that I empathized with those who need/ed to be AF. But I’m not sorry she critiqued me this way as sometimes we can’t really see ourselves. It made me more aware of how sensitive I should be when I post in other areas rather than the moderation area.

One day recently I met a hospitalized man who was admitted for severe liver failure. When I spoke to him he said he had been alcohol free for 8 years. He had gone to a counselor who didn’t understand alcoholism and she advised he could safely have a drink or two in moderation. “She didn’t realize” he said “that I’m an alcoholic. I thought I could have a drink or two…but I can’t”.

God served me humble pie that day.

As a moderator who is having relatively good success I always want to remember that many folks cannot safely moderate. For some it truly is a matter of life or death. May we be thankful for the fact that some (probably very few of us) can moderate. But may we always remain humble in the fact that we can do so. It’s fine to support each other here on our moderation site but let’s be cautious about what and how we say things elsewhere. And for newcomers who want to believe that they too can moderate, please be sure to read our posts here. Take our advice to try to get some AF time under your belt so that you can get alcohol out of your system to clear your thoughts about the best moderation plan for you and if moderation can be a plan for you.

Well, gotta run…have to finish eating my humble pie.
    :l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Eve,
    Thanks for this overview of your perspective. It is so difficult especially for new people to catch information like this. And your personal story makes it so much more real.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

A wonderful post, Eve. These are such touchy issues, aren't they? When we are all striving to do what feels right and healthy for us, it can be hard if someone else disagrees with what that is. You put it so clearly and I agree with Sunbeam, your story helps us understand you and the dilemma and makes it more real. Thank you.
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Eve11, what an awesome and understanding post. I, like so many people I think was initially attracted to the My Way Out program BECAUSE of the moderation option. I am one of those alcoholics who cannot drink safely, ever. But I was in denial at the time and had not accepted 100% that I cannot drink. Now that I HAVE fully accepted that I cannot drink, it doesn't bother me much to read posts about moderate drinking and the successes and struggles that you - our moderate drinking friends here - go through.

There was however, a time when reading about moderate drinking really triggered some bad thinking for me. Drinking fantasy thinking. Dangerous thinking. Relapse provoking thinking.

Today I am grateful that the My Way Out program offers a moderation option. Because if it didn't, I probably wouldn't be here and who knows - I might not have found ANY program I was willing to try, and I might even be dead.

I'm glad today that I am mentally and emotionally able to embrace my drinking AND non-drinking friends with a bit less caution. It sure it great to see that you understand. This happens in "3D" life too.

It's all about growing, one day at a time. Thanks for your post Eve11!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank you for sharing Eve.
          Indeed, I hope that anyone considering moderation will read this first.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Great post Eve. Thank's for sharing, and best wishes on your journey. And if i may be so bold, you are one of my fave poster's.

Take care, G-Force.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you so much for your post Eve! Really, really helpful. I wished I would have found it when I first started my research about this site!

Comment

Thanks for this post, I can relate to alot of things in this post and it makes things seem a little clearer.
                I to dont drink every day but have done in the past but have controlled it to a certain extent now but im still finding Ill say to myself that ill only have a couple of pints but will end up having 7 or 8.
                Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

Eve11;812010 wrote: I felt pretty good making the choice to moderate when I first came here.. My past wasn?t daily drinking. When I drank it usually wasn?t even heavy drinking to most folks. I could get a real good buzz off of 3 glasses of wine and was sufficiently drunk with 4.

It was easy to believe I was an ?abuser? of alcohol and not a chronic alcoholic like my father had been. I remember hearing the beer bottle cap popping the first thing in the morning when he would get up and it never quit popping all day. He went through a case of beer a day and then started adding in hard liquor as well. Yet, he would balk if he was confronted about being an alcoholic. He died with cirrhosis of the liver and had been hospitalized numerous times for bleeding varicies but still never believed or admitted he was an alcoholic.

I was fearful of being in denial like he was so was always open to confronting my alcohol demons. When I went to therapy for co-dependence the counselor asked me the 4 standard alcohol questions and of course I failed. As a young 20 something at the time who had gotten into the partying mode and who had abused alcohol on more than one occasion I easily failed questions like: ?Have people ever criticizied your drinking???well, yes, I had a girlfriend who didn?t like it when I drank too much when out with her or ?Have you ever felt remorse for your drinking?? Heck yeah, everytime I had a hangover I had huge remorse.

She promptly sent me to A.A. before she would work with me on my co-dependence issues. ?Ok?, I thought. I must be an alcoholic because she says so. So, I quit drinking without any problem or craving, went to my first A.A. meeting and continued for 7 years to abstain from alcohol. Eventually I quit going to meetings and started to notice things about other people?s drinking. ?Hey!? I would think. I never drank like THAT!? I started to question whether or not I needed to completely abstain and so I started drinking again. Things went fine for a few years but then I started seeing a pattern of getting too drunk on the occasions I would drink. I wouldn?t count drinks but would just keep drinking at a party without thinking about how much I was drinking and before I knew it I would be slurring or stumbling out the door. That?s when I found MWO so that I could get the support I needed for moderating my drinking.

I was a little fooled by the board when I first came here because I thought it was a board for moderators yet the more I read the more I realized that the majority of people were AFers. Many had tried to moderate and realized that they couldn?t. Like my father, many had a past of hard core drinking?daily drinking where it was tough to get through a day without a drink. I had never been that kind of drinker. Remember when I was asked to quit by the counselor and I said ?Ok? and quit cold turkey without a problem for 7 years?. So, I learned to stick to the thread for moderators and if I went to other threads where AFers were posting (like the General Thread or Research thread) I would tread very lightly with what I said as I didn?t want to offend people who knew they couldn?t moderate.

One day someone joined our thread who was a happy moderator. He would expound upon the joys of being able to moderate. He motivated the group and was a big asset in many ways. But, he made a mistake one day. He posted something on a thread that AFers frequented and one in particular got very angry as she felt he was out and out promoting the benefits of alcohol consumption and she felt that that could be detrimental to folks that needed to be AF.

I tactfully defended our happy moderator and then was confronted by the disgruntled AFer who stated that she felt I wasn?t ?sensitive to the struggles of others who are not able to drink alcohol in a controlled fashion... and for whom the consumption of alcohol is truly a matter of life and death.?

I didn?t feel that I felt that way. I truly felt that I empathized with those who need/ed to be AF. But I?m not sorry she critiqued me this way as sometime we can?t really see ourselves. It made me more aware of how sensitive I should be when I post in other areas rather than the moderation area.

One day recently I met a hospitalized man who was admitted for severe liver failure. When I spoke to him he said he had been alcohol free for 8 years. He had gone to a counselor who didn?t understand alcoholism and she advised he could safely have a drink or two in moderation. ?She didn?t realize? he said ?that I?m an alcoholic. I thought I could have a drink or two?but I can?t?.

God served me humble pie that day.

As a moderator who is having relatively good success I always want to remember that many folks cannot safely moderate. For some it truly is a matter of life or death. May we be thankful for the fact that some (probably very few of us) can moderate. But may we always remain humble in the fact that we can do so. It?s fine to support each other here on our moderation site but let?s be cautious about what and how we say things elsewhere. And for newcomers who want to believe that they too can moderate, please be sure to read our posts here. Take our advice to try to get some AF time under your belt so that you can get alcohol out of your system to clear your thoughts about the best moderation plan for you and if moderation can be a plan for you.

Well, gotta run?have to finish eating my humble pie.
                  :l
                  Eve11
                  great post eve

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

A really thoughtful, insightful post. Thank you for sharing this Eve.
                    -Sheep

Comment

Thanks for this thoughtful post Eve.
                      Ask

Comment

That's a fantastic post.. thank you so much for sharing..
                        My problem is my ex-husband who constantly said i would be ok with a couple.. i continued and got drunk.. he does not understand my problem, hence why we are separated and getting divorced.. he's in denial, of me and my issues with AL, and his own issues.. thanks again
                        Katie
                        "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

hi evie,it is a great post,i to like you have tried both ways,i use the old saying,for me it is not hard to stop,staying stopped and wanting to,is the answer,forever is a long time,i find this to be an addiction,like running,eating and you no,i could go on and on,rather then saying ,being an alchoholic or drug addict,i abstain for now,most i meet have been places like star trek,where no man or lady want to dwell again,i beleive a real aclchoholic would nott come onto a moderators forum,anymore then i would go on a forum,where people have found a pill that stops you from drinking,someone said it the other nt at an AA meeting i attende,he s never met a person at AA,that didnt belong there,interesting concept,still you have the rt to decide whether you are or arent,wishing u well , time to leave getting addicted to this computor gyco

Comment

Working...
                          X