Pema Chodron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pema Chodron?

Is anyone here a fan of Pema's (she makes lots of audio stuff as well as books)? Or of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche?

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Pema Chodron?

Tracy, are you still around? Just found this post. I LOVE PEMA. She got me through a very tough time a few years back, with "When Things Fall Apart".
    Hugs,
    imatree

Comment

Pema Chodron?

I am still around. Glad to hear that you are a fan too! She's something special.

Not Buddhism, but the last book I read in the realm of recovery (from life in general):
      "Running with Scissors" is awesome.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Pema Chodron?

Did trungpa Rinpnche write the tibetan book of the living and dying? sounds familiar.
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Pema Chodron?

I had to do a little homework on this one.

Rinpoche is an honorific title given to monks/lamas who reach high realizations.

An American anthropologist compiled the texts, which were translated by Buddhist monks, and published ?Tibetan Book of the Dead.?

Sogyal Rinpoche also did a translation titled ?The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.?

Chogyam Trungpa (also a Rinpoche and renown for reaching westerners in his Shambhala teachings) did a translation, and his was titled ?The Tibetan Book of the Dead.?
          He was an interesting guy, a study in contrasts. I did a presentation on him for speech class. He gave up being a monk, taught "crazy wisdom" and Lived a crazy life himself (had orgies with his college students, routinely showed up hours late for class). At 48 he died of heart failure brought on by many years of heavy drinking.

Pema, of course, is his star student. She's not crazy and still a monk (celibate and all).

Class adjourned.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Pema Chodron?

Hi there,
            I've been a fan of Pema Chodron for a few years. You can get some of her audio stuff through sounds true or Shambala books. HAve you read Start Where You Are?
            Another good read is Loving Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Loving Happiness by Sharon Salzberg. And for other audio see if you can get hold of Jack Kornfield.

Comment

Pema Chodron?

Rags;165164 wrote: Hi there,
              I've been a fan of Pema Chodron for a few years. You can get some of her audio stuff through sounds true or Shambala books. HAve you read Start Where You Are?
              Oh my, YES. I loved it! I think I've pretty much bought or borrowed all her major works. Her audio stuff works great for me on trips. At home I do tonglen and regular meditation - not very well though. I attended a mediation workshop at the Shambhala center near Estes Park. It helped some ... but if you try to meditate, you can't do it. I don't know how not to try.

Another good read is Loving Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Loving Happiness by Sharon Salzberg. And for other audio see if you can get hold of Jack Kornfield.
              Thanks for the head's up. They are on my list.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Pema Chodron?

Pema fan

I love love love Pema Chodron.

I have read Comfortable with Uncertainty and her audio book: Getting Unstuck, Breaking your habitual patterns and encountering reality.

I think she is so amazing. I want to be in her fan club if she has one.

I also like Jack Kornfield.

Comment

Pema Chodron?

TracyA;164904 wrote: I had to do a little homework on this one.

Rinpoche is an honorific title given to monks/lamas who reach high realizations.

An American anthropologist compiled the texts, which were translated by Buddhist monks, and published ?Tibetan Book of the Dead.?

Sogyal Rinpoche also did a translation titled ?The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.?

Chogyam Trungpa (also a Rinpoche and renown for reaching westerners in his Shambhala teachings) did a translation, and his was titled ?The Tibetan Book of the Dead.?
                  He was an interesting guy, a study in contrasts. I did a presentation on him for speech class. He gave up being a monk, taught "crazy wisdom" and Lived a crazy life himself (had orgies with his college students, routinely showed up hours late for class). At 48 he died of heart failure brought on by many years of heavy drinking.

Pema, of course, is his star student. She's not crazy and still a monk (celibate and all).

Class adjourned.
                  thanks for educating me little ignorant self
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
                  X