Friday, October 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, October 13

Good Friday morning, Absville! And am I the only one thinking “Thank God it’s Friday!”? Oh my, and Friday the 13th. How spooky. [OK let’s set this straight right now: you won’t get away with a slip by blaming it on “Friday the 13th” OK? So let’s not even go there. No slipping allowed on Friday the 13th is what I say! Not in this neck of the woods! ]

Seriously, folks, why do we make this so hard on ourselves? I was thinking about that earlier. I mean, I understand this is supposedly a disease and all, but give me a break. We start out doing something that is enjoyable, sociable, relaxing and downright fun. We enjoy it for some period of time – years, if not decades – before noticing that it’s causing problems. But eventually the problems are there in droves. Late to work. Headaches. Regrets. Fights with spouses. DUI. Yada yada yada. We try to cut down or quit and find we can’t. The harder we try, the more we want the stuff. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know: it’s why you came here in the first place.

So we go to doctors, shrinks, churches, maybe even AA. Still, we want to drink. Still, we drink. Somehow we find My Way Out. Here we are, giving this program a good try – and still, we want to drink. If this is the best thing available (and I believe it is), then why do I still fancy a drink? I’m not saying I’m craving, mind you. Just that there is still a part of me deep down inside that I know would just LOVE to have a Cape Cod sometime this evening. And you know what? That part of me scares the hell out of me. Now that is spooky.

I’m still young in sobriety – 25 days today if I make it to midnight – so it’s not surprising that there is still an obsession with alcohol in this somewhat pickled brain. But again I ask: why do we make it so hard on ourselves? Why is it such a struggle?

The key, I think, is in letting go
    . If I look back on other things I’ve struggled with, the calm came when I just let go. An example would be trying to hang on to a lover when the relationship was clearly over after 8 years. The longer I tried to hold on, the more miserable we both became. When I let go, it hurt – but the struggle was over and the healing could begin. There is much in my past I’ve had to let go of: my youth, my innocence, and many loved ones, for example. Clinging always causes pain. The idea
    of letting go causes anxiety, but the act
    of letting go brings relief.

So – what have I let go of, or what have I yet to let go of, in regards to alcohol?

• I have let go of the fantasy that I can, or might someday, be able to drink moderately.
    • I have let go of the belief that I need alcohol in order to live an enjoyable life.
    • I have let go of the belief that I need alcohol to enjoy a meal out, or an evening with friends.
    • I am letting go of the belief that I can be comfortable in any social situation without the social lubricant effect of alcohol. (Work in progress.)
    • I am letting go of the self-esteem issues that reinforced my alcoholic cycle for so long (again, a work in progress).
    • I am letting go of the image of alcohol as something enticing, and coming to see it as it truly is (a poisonous, addictive drug) – this helps keep it in the proper perspective for my personal goal of long term abs.
    • I have yet to let go of the connection alcohol has in my mind with certain situations – holidays, vacations. (Need to work on this in hypno session soon)

So I have come a long way, but I have work yet to do. There are still some powerful connections in my mind, such as “holidays include alcohol.” It’s important for me to recognize those connections, and prepare for the situations that I know are going to be tough. And ultimately, I will need to let the connections go.

And if you find yourself struggling today (it IS Friday, after all) take a moment and ask yourself what it is that you are clinging to. What is it that you have the opportunity to let go of?
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Friday, October 13

Good Morning Absville,
    Good Morning Mayor Mike, Excellent start again Mike, Friday the 13th eh........Gonna have to be extra careful today...Also Mike i love the way you associated alcahol with a relationship that is clearly over but we still try to hang on to it....Thats made me look at it in a way i havnt before and it should help me get my head around some aspects of my drinking...So thankyou.
    To cut a long story short the reason i havnt been around latley is that my brothers inlaws were downsizing their house and had tonnes of furniture they couldnt take with them.....We needed lots of furniture...Hence why i've been living on the moterway the last few days....This couldnt have come at a better time for us. We were putting of buying the stuff we needed till after christmas...Mr Macks seems to have landed on his feet again.
    Ok, i havnt caught up yet on what i've missed but i will do that sometime today and catch up properly tonight. So i hope everyone has a good weekend and remember....stay away from ladders...black cats....and most of all alcahol.
    See you all later....Have a good day...Love Macks:l
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Friday, October 13

Just visiting ...

Macks, you are an absolute delight. Thanks.

T

Comment

Friday, October 13

Tawny, you made me blush...

Comment

Friday, October 13

25 days wow Gate crashier invitation kangas party

Hello All

Iim unregistered and being brave with pc got to think of a name but found this site a couple of days

I read loads THANKS sat in tears and been releaved at times from all I understood

In reply to this thread 25 days congratulations this is 3rd its been allsorts but nothing any of you dont know about

I drank my self down to too many empty bottles too often but steel felt empty inside

its really good just to check in even if I dont say to much or regsiter could be gotta do it in my own time like we all have to with what has got us all here not use to this sort of thing thanks for hearing me out.

Is Roo really having a Birthday Party ON LINE ref Jenneh and Tawnyfrog thread
          Havent been to any for years stay at home drinker habit can new comers gate grash hope not a cheek

Take Care Thanks

Farmer

Comment

Friday, October 13

Good Morning,
            Great way to think of alcohol.....like some type of an abusive realtionship that you can't give up. You think maybe they'll change and it'll be ok.....maybe I'll change and they'll like me better....oh my goodness I can't live without them......this has got to end.... well maybe one more fling and then I'll call it quits.
            sometimes you're lucky and THEY leave you.....unfortunately that won't happen with alcohol.
            Got to think about this more.
            Janet

Comment

Friday, October 13

Good morning Absville

Hi Everyone,

The cravings of yesterday have passed (of course, it is only morning). When all this hubbub passes with my sister, I really need to get a knitting or sewing project going to keep me busy in the evening to help keep my mind of alcohol.

Mike, I think it is JUST HARD! But I do agree that just LETTING GO, GRIEVING, AND REALIZING THAT WE ARE MOVING INTO A NEW STAGE OF OUR LIVES (just like losing a mate, or in my case, having a daughter preparing to leave for college) is the key to getting past relying on alcohol. That can make it easier, because it is just accepting that, like any other loss, you will get through it if you just hang in there.

This is easy to say, of course, when you're not in the grip of a severe craving. When that happens, I just try to remember my goals--namely, I want to be free of alcohol. I want to lose 20 lbs. I can't do that if I keep drinking. I'd like to have a good relationship with a nice guy someday. Can't do that if I sit alone at home drinking.

Mike, I like your list of bullets. I'm going to print it out and look at it frequently and add a few of my own to make a new list, or maybe cut and paste it into the "sobriety folder" I already have on my computer.

I am slowly imagining myself in new ways, but it takes time to do this, but I can feel something shifting inside of me. It all takes time. I feel like a toddler sometimes, learning to walk. I fall down, but I keep getting up. A year ago, I was afraid to even try to stand up. I couldn't even imagine how I could survive a day without booze. At least now, I'm surviving okay for days/weeks at a time.

Mike, I'd ask you to be a permanent Mayor, except I know that it is burnout city!!! You're great!!!

Macks, I'm glad you've gotten new furniture! Sounds like you've earned it with all the work you've been doing! It is nice to see you back again. XOXOX

Hi Janet! Good to see you! I like to think of wine like a bad boyfriend, too! Always getting you in trouble, but sure not around to share the grief afterwards!

Hey Farmer, good luck finding a name, and welcome! You can always pick something and change it later if something fits better down the road. I picked my name because I had just turned 50 a few days before I found this site.

Anyway, you're on Mike, no drinking or slipping on Friday the 13th!! I'm in!

Hugs to all!

Kathy:l
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday, October 13

To everyone

Everyone is great on here keep up the good work, and keep supporting each other. This site is the best x

Comment

Friday, October 13

Great post, Mike.

I need to let go of the idea that I know anything about today. Approach it with curiousity instead of like it is problem to be solved.

But I am supposed to chair an AA meeting today and think I'll bow out of that one.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Friday, October 13

Are you back home today Liz?

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hi guys, Good one Mike.
                      Quick check in for me. I have to let go of the fact that I love beer. I love the taste. Would for years consider myself to be a "beer ddrinker". Something that I enjoyed for a long time. And now I am done. No longer can I enjoy it cuz I let it go to far and become more than something that I only enjoyed. So I have to let go of that. There is much more but that is the main and first thing that comes to my mind.

And same here Lizzie, hope your commin home today. : )
                      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hi guys
                        Really really good one Mike. But - real surprise right? They are always great. You are so thoughtful and articulate....
                        Anyways, for me, I can absolutely relate to the analogy of a sense of "loss" when it comes to giving up alcohol.
                        You know, alcohol does become so deeply entrenched in our lives that we DO create a relationship with it of some sort.
                        For me, even if I was tired and did not want to go out on a Friday night, even if hubby was travelling, I could RELY on that bottle of wine to perk up the Friday night and make it "celebratory". You know? But come to think of it, I remember at the end, being a little frustrated and thinking, this isnt really all that fun. I mean, it isnt. What is really all that fun about sitting around drinking by yourself? So then I would sometimes buy some of those mini airplane bottles of hard liquor and do shots by myself to give me a "pick me up". Real fun. By myself. Then watch bad tv. Then I might have fun! Huh.
                        Interesting.
                        Or, I might have my good pal alcohol to rely on to give me confidence in social situations. Sure, at first, I won't deny it, those first couple of drinks were great. They calmed my nerves and made me relaxed and comfortable. But then, I just kept drinking. And either I (a) got stupid or (b) got frustrated because I wasen't able to drink as much as I wanted to because other people stopped drinking or weren't really drinking. Again. Huh.
                        So, for me, I have to let go of the FANTASY that I associate with alcohol. I think I still might have some fantasies of grandor and fun associated with alcohol that I have to remember are not real. Maybe they were real when I first started drinking (and maybe not even then) but they were not real at the end. I also, like others have mentioned, am beginning to learn to think of alcohol almost as an abusive relationship - sometimes they ARE tough for whatever reason, to let go of. But in the end, they only destroy you mentally and physically. So we have to fight to let it go.
                        Thanks Mike. Thanks guys.
                        Love all
                        Day 12! Sparkle sparkle.
                        Jen
                        Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hi All,

I'm new in posting. Have been lurking around for awhile though.

Mikeupnorth - your post has given me lots to think about - thank you.

Today for me is day 4 again...I don't know how many times I have started and fallen off. Weekends are the hardest for me - I am going to print off your post - I think it will help me get through this weekend.

Comment

Friday, October 13

welcome meridian and happy day 12 jenneh and hello everyone else happy day 3 or 4 kath.....list goes on and i gotta go. Love ya all
                            Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday, October 13

Good morning Absville. I have a job interview at 1045, so this will be a quick one. I'm working on many of the same things already mentioned. Working myself from believing the LIE that alcohol tells me. It tells me, "one can't hurt", it tells me "you can't get thru this party, event and such-n-such w/o me". It tells me "this isn't having an impact on your children as long as all appears well on the outside and they still are willing to give me hugs and "I love you's ". Letting go is difficult at times. There are so many factors in my life that I want to numb myself from because I don't want to deal with it face on. Lot's of pain surfaces. Trying not to deal with it all at once...tackling lifelong issues will take a long time. determination today is back to a 10 on day 9 for me. Thesed daily topics are helping tremendously. Keeps me focused and determined through the day's challenges. Good to see you back Mack! Hope to hear from you soon Lizzie...you are in my prayers. Welcome to Tracy and Farmer! May we all have a joyous day in sobriety. Gina

Comment

Working...
                              X