Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad March Thread

Good Morning Modders!

As DeeBee's on holiday I'll get the thread started this month.

It's a new month which means it's the perfect time to make new goals, to renew our commitments and revise our plans.

Last month was probably the best month I've had with my moderating plan. I never had more than 3 drinks in one evening which was improvement for me as it seems at least once a month I was having a major setback with having a whole bottle of wine when I had intended to only have a glass or two.

Changes I made: No more drinking at home alone which is my downfall. If hubby's home sharing a bottle on a Friday or Saturday night - fine, but for me no more excuses to have a glass with a bath, while I watch a favorite show, etc. My pattern shows me that it just doesn't work for me to do that. When I made that change I had a much more successful month.

I also was able to stick to NIAAA's standars of no more than 7 drinks per week for the majority of the month. Think I may have had 8 the last week as there were a couple of week-day functions going on (I usually never drink on week-days) so I had more than usual. New Goal: Despite any week-day function: NO MORE THAN 7!

Spring break means company coming and a tendancy to drink every day. My plan is to have only 1 if I do end up drinking daily so I can maintain my no more than 7 rule.

WHAT'S YOUR PLAN?

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi Eve!
    And everyone else!! :hallo:

I'm going to try to keep up here, so I'm jumping in early. I've been cutting down my drinking for nearly 2 weeks now. I'm between two thirds and one half of my - yes - daily consumption of before with no slip ups. Tonight goes down to one half. I'm pretty happy - we made a batch of wine right before I decided to do this, and there are about 36 bottles of wine in my basement, plus a partial one at any given time in the fridge. No problems so far.

Really, I can't take any credit for this - it's finding this site and the impact that it's had on me. Hoping for a great month for everyone!
    "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi L.T. Mods,
      Eve, thanks for starting this month's thread. Here are my AL moderation goals for March:
      less than 12 a week, never exceed 3 in a day, take at least three days AF, never drink before six at night, always eat and drink lots of water when I have Al and enjoy all my evenings AF or with AL moderation.

Two weeks ago I had 11 drinks with three nights off and last week I had 10 drinks with four nights AF. This is a good place for me to be.

Canadian girl, congratulations on cutting down your AL consumption. Stay after it. It is easier and better for me to take nights AF instead a small quantity each day. I know we are all different.

Leftover from February:
      AFH, You wrote that you are drinking every day and trying to cut down amounts. When I was in habit of drinking most every day it was hard to imagine not doing so. For me the key was to resist urges and be sure to be AF for two days a week. It has gotten easier over time and now I usually go three or four nights a week AF. Habit is against you right now but becomes your friend if you can do this.

Maia, Keep going for you AF goals, you had a very good last two weeks and it is fun to read about your ride.

Sara, More power to you if you decide to go AF and join long term abstainers. I read their threads some time and greatly respect what they have accomplished. There are some very inspirational regulars on their site.

Great day and month to all.

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hello modders!

Im sooo excited to start this new month!! Eve, thanks for starting the thread! and congratulations on a very successful February!

Canadiangirl, im happy you've been doing good! i also have sooo much wine in storage since december, and I didnt go onceto get a bottle from there in February, something to be proud of... although I did have my setback last month...

I plan on not having more than 3 drinks per day, and I dont want to drink more than twice a week, unless something really special comes out! Also, I'll follow Eve's advice and i wont open a bottle at home! unless there are guests, or im having a special dinner home with my husband! that's it. that was my big problem last month....

and on my big event next Saturday I will have to REALLY work hard..... It'll probably last for last for about 6 hours until veeeeery late so huge challenge!!! two years ago we stayed there until 4am, but I was pregnant so of course I didnt drink, I'll let you guys know how it goes.....

Hi mg! you sound like you have it under control! it is great to talk to you and know that it is possible to mod!!! How is your mother?

Sara, i hope you are doing great and also hope to hear from you!!!

Well, I have to go! Good luck everyone!

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Share Your SUCCESS plan!

Hey gang,
          I hate to start the month off with drinking on a weeknight but it was a once a year occasion that I get together with a few girlfriends for a special event.

My trick was to pour a very small amount of wine in a big glass that breathed. Then I could swirl, sip, talk, set it down etc. and go back 2 more times with only ending up with a consumption of 1 1/2 glasses. Had big refills of lemon water in between and it worked well over the 2 hour event. Did help that the other girls there this time were very controlled drinkers. The hostess had 1 big glass and was done and the others were pretty similar. Still felt ok to do it my way - even if there had been someone going back again and again for more I felt strong not to do that.

Chatted with sarasmiles before I went out and her reminder to wear my "be mindful" bracelet and her confidence in me that I'd do well helped. Thanks Sara.

DeeBee-glad you're back (I think) - can't wait to hear from you. LetGo, Jolie, M.M., Vlad, Ask and any other newbies or lurkers
          WHAT'S YOUR PLAN FOR SUCCESS FOR MARCH?

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

I think I love this place! :h

Mg72 - I hear you about the AF days. I have a feeling that when I cut out AL entirely on certain days, it will be a somewhat different process from cutting down, not a continuation of the same process...

Maia - there is something kinda nice about knowing all that booze is a staircase away, and yet... we can deal with it!

Eve - congrats on your special event. Now you get to actually remember it, too! *thinks: how many past special events are nothing but blurs to me?* Mindfulness seems to be key to much of what I/we are doing. Therefore, my strategy for the month is going to be mindfulness.

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

I'm back!!

A (belated) pinch and a punch for the first of the month!

Unfortunately I've had some issues to deal with my brother whilst I've been away that's come to ahead and I don't really want to discuss it right now except to say that it's given me a whole different view on how alcoholism affects those around us. He has hurt and upset me beyond words but I'm okay and taking steps to come to terms with it.

My plan for March is to drink no more than 2 drinks on any given day. To post daily and to keep on taking my Topa every day.

PS Thank you for just being here!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

I happened to browse through this part of the forum (Long term modders) late last week and had an ‘ah-hah’ moment. I had been posting infrequently on Just starting Out but probably my goals would be better posted here.

I had the first two decades of my adult life with a very casual, reasonable relationship with alcohol. I didn’t call it moderating because I didn’t have the backdrop of problem drinking to compare it to. It did easily qualify by the usual definitions – mostly one, sometimes two times per week and very seldom more than 2 drinks in a day. During that time I had ample time to figure out how to deal with all kinds of life stressors, including depression, without alcohol in the picture.

Then in my early forties in the setting of new relationship and new direction (a late in life mom) I allowed myself to start drinking alone and after a few years got sucked right in to the addiction. After two years at MWO just reading posts and reflecting on my own problem I have a whole lot more insight. Paradoxically some of that time the drinking even got worse. But I am clearly headed in the right direction since the first of the year and in the last two weeks I have been drinking less than half what I was and have been free of hangovers or regrets.

My immediate target to eliminate is the drinking alone (awful depressing sneak-drinking especially). I have adopted some useful tools but no medications and yes I’ve read the book. My long term goal is to get back to my previous relationship with alcohol.

I am a slow writer so likely will be a sporadic poster (besides my computor is in my kitchen – grand central station.) Thanks all for inspiring me and thanks for listening
                Drinking has been my hobby for several years now. It's time to get a new hobby

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi Everybody,
                  Luvwins, welcome! My story is much like yours, though I'm not a mom. My problem drinking just developed gradually, I can't put my finger on when it became a problem. But it was a problem before I came here two years ago. Now it isn't a problem, but could be again if I'm not careful. That drinking alone is really not a good idea for me.

Which brings me to my current goal: I will drink only with friends or when we go out for dinner. Even bringing up a bottle of wine to share with my husband is generally not a good idea, because there is always more in the cellar. Saturday is my hardest day to resist doing that, but I'm making progress. I rarely drink on other days of the week.

I got great news yesterday: the job I interviewed for last fall, effective this July, was approved in our state capital. The local approvals had already occurred before I interviewed. It will be part-time, just three days per week. I'm really ready for this. I am so grateful that I have the professional skills to enable this to happen. I'm not ready to retire, I just want more Saturdays, and in a few months I will probably have them.

take care, all.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

DeeBee...........:welcome: BACK! Holidays are fun but good to have you home and posting again.

Sunbeam:greatjob2: on nailing the interview. I know you really wanted this and I'm happy for you.

LuvWins:happyheart:
                    Happy you've joined us. It sounds like moderating will work just fine for you. Keep reading, posting and sharing and we look forward to getting to know you!

Hi to all - planning an AF week despite a lot of wine bottles in my cellar as well. I've learned this year not to touch those alone. LuvWins, we're very similar in many ways. I'm an older mom too and bit by bit became a bit of a sneak drinker myself. Well, it could possibly have started with one that I wasn't sneaking - just one to relax you know. But then I'd want another and would sneak it and would go back for a third...I think you know the deal. MWO has really helped me and I hope it helps you as well. :welcome:

Eve11

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi eberyone!

Welcome back DeeBee! Im sorry to hear about your issues with your brother. Dealing with family can be difficult sometimes....

Luvwins, nice to "meet" you! im glad you are joining us! I love hearing other's points of view and experience! I think I was always a problem drinker, but I guess since i became a mother for the first time three years ago, i realized that this was not a joke and I needed to do something about it. I also enjoyed having drinks by myself, but that I think is too dangerous for me. I dont think that is something I will ever be able to do again.

Canadiangirl, I agree with you! i love this place!!! Last month was great for me and im looking forward to seeing what march will be like. Definetely a much more challenging month for me as i have too many important events. This Saturday will be a major test for me. then, I have bridal showers, baby showers, weddings, my husband's birthday party..... wow, this WILL be an interesting month for me... It is important for me to come online everyday, it keeps me focus on my goals. it did last month!!!

Sunbeam, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!! i read about your application before I joint MWO when I was just reading but keeping quite, so im very happy for you!!

Ok, my girls need attention, it's been crazy preparing for our trip on Thursday!!!!

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Well I've moved out of my home (for now) and am staying with my parents for a couple of days. Unfortunately my brother has driven a great big wedge in my marriage and I need space and time out to figure out how to fix it or even if it's worth while fixing.
                        Right now it seems like my hubby is more interested in keeping his drinking buddy then supporting me in setting boundaries in our house so it's probably a good idea that I've taken a step back to analyse the situation otherwise I'll say or do something I'm bound to regret.
                        I'm so hurt by their actions and how they are treating me but I have to remind myself that I do have CHOICES.
                        I choose NOT to have this chaos in my life. I choose to live my life in moderation. And I choose to live my life with dignity!!

Thats' all for now.
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hello, DeeBee

I glad to meet you, but sorry that it's under such circumstances. It's very brave of you to make those difficult choices. I've found, in my life, that they are exactly the choices that are controversial with those who would like to create chaos and destroy dignity. Never easy to make, but usually necessary.

Good luck!

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

((Deebs!))
                            I am sorry things are so rough at home. You have the right attitude, though: we can't control what others do, but we can choose our response.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

March Madness

Hi all and thanks for the great start to the month.

DeeBee: so sorry to hear your upsetting circumstances. I sent you a pm.
                              Eve congrats on your sucessful February . . . its inspiring.
                              Welcome to Luvwins and Canadiangirl. A Shout Out of congrats to SunBeam, Howdy to SaraSmiles (even in absentia), mg72 and Maia and anybody else who drops in.

Well here's my plan for March: I restarted my Topomax which helped me last time around. In the past I was successful by being AF 4 days / week and drinking 3 days/week with a limit of 7 - 10 drinks/week, but I feel that I can't get back to that right away. So I'm going to start w/ a goal of 2 AF days / week for the 1st 2 weeks of March w/ a goal of no more than 3 drinks/night (hopefully 2 since I've been satisfied w/ that this week). Listen to tapes 2x/week and exercise 3x/week this month and by April get back to my former goals.

I'll be checking in here several times/week and charting on DrinkTracker as both help me. Best of luck to all of us this month!!
                              Ask

Comment

Working...
                              X