Saturday, October 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, October 14

Good Saturday morning Absville! I, for one, am SOOOO glad it?s the weekend. :happy:

This past week has been a tough one at work and the next two are going to be just as busy. But this weekend I plan to relax and enjoy the break.

One of my long-standing problems is that I tend to either let the past bog me down, or worry too much about the future. In doing that, I often neglect to focus on the present. Am I the only one of us that does that?

I found something about this in one of my Hazelden meditation books. I hope they don?t mind if I borrow from them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ?There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept from fear and apprehension. One of those days is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control. All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. We cannot erase a single word we said. Yesterday is gone beyond recall.

The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow, with its possible adversities, its burdens, its large promise, and perhaps its poor performance. Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control. Tomorrow?s sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day ? today. Anyone can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when you and I add the burden of those two awful entities, yesterday and tomorrow, that we break down. It is not the experience of today that drives us mad. It is the remorse or bitterness of something which happened yesterday or the dread of something which tomorrow will bring. Let us therefore do our best to live but one day at a time.?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen!

So, while I cannot forget the past, and while I want to have goals and hope for the future, I need to keep my feet firmly planted in today. I find this very hard to do sometimes.

How do you stay grounded in the here and now?
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Saturday, October 14

Good morning Absville,
    Goodmorning Mike, Your either up very late or very early...Either way thanks again...More great stuff to think about this morning.
    Yeah..I worry too much about things that are no longer in my control...especially yesterday...things i have said or done i stew over...weather i could have handled something better..if i said the right thing...something i forgot to do.Drinking dosnt help this...espesially when you cant quite remember what you've done or said..
    In all honesty i think i worry too much...It stops me getting on with my life....Living today.

Well Saturday as we all know is a BIG trigger, so my plan for tonight is......You guessed it im going fishing..Sea fishing though this time so hopefully will bring back something for supper.
    I was catching up reading this morning and its great to see people starting to come back...CV..Lou..Liz soon.

OkeyDokey....will be back in a bit....Have a good and sober weekend everyone...Macks
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Saturday, October 14

cheryl

you will never know the impact you have made on me today...

Comment

Saturday, October 14

cheryl i love when they do that!

Mike you have just made my day much simplier. Not as simple as i would like ..but simpler just the same. thanks.of course by tommorow i will have forgotten this lesson, but for today it will work just fine.
        :thanks:

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Morning all. Mike, you are so introspective and such a sensitive, the thought of forgetting yesterday and not worrying about tomorrow is wonderful. Thank you for the quotes, although I'm not sure that I can live with them yet. Working on it, but the working part in progress is always the journey.

The next few days will still be even more in flux than usual so I'll be brief but for all of the absville crowd...Gab, Kathy, Mike, Macks, XTex, Nancy, the ones who are infrequent as I have been lately, Lou and Liz, and all that I have really not mentioned by name, please continue the strong bonds and support that you are doing, don't forget to nurture yourself with the supplements as well because this is physical, mental and emotional and we need to support, supplement and balance everything so that we can be continually strong. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that each of us, in our own way, is an empath of sorts and just cares so much about everything and everyone, whether personal or not, that we look for something to arm and protect ourselves from all of the feelings that we absorb...

Geez, as you can see, I'm going down a path and speaking more than I should but to each of you, you are strong, you are special and you are cared for more than you realize. Have a wonderful weekend!:l

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Good morning Absville,

Mike, I love that quote. I need to print it out and post it all over my house! I did that with scripture on fear while son was in Iraq..

How do I do one day at a time? Staying busy is good. Being outside helps take my mind to good places. Walking and listening to music with head phones helps. I think the most important thing is knowing that I can't change yesterday and tomorrow is not promised to anyone. And positive self talk.

Headed outside now. Hope everyone has a great day. The clouds are white and beautiful here
            They look like the hem of His garment! I may try to touch one today!
            Mark:24-34

Love to all.

Nancy & Belle:l
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday, October 14

mikeupnorth wrote: So, while I cannot forget the past, and while I want to have goals and hope for the future, I need to keep my feet firmly planted in today. I find this very hard to do sometimes.
              I find it hard too. It's funny that it is hard, because that is our natural state - to be in the moment. Little kids are always in the moment.

Thanks for another good post.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Yes, Mike thanks for the awesome post. YOU are awesome and so good at this. Get rest.....dont burn out. How can we pay you? Love you Mike
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Present Metamorphosis

Hello Yep I came on board the other day

They say Leopards do not change their spots. Caterpillars though DO turn into butterflies.

Metamorphosis (not a scientist long word but who cares) People go through changes in their lives in the

in the process all this happens ok we are not Leopards or Caterpillars but we are capable of learning

Could be not "Can we do it" Its is "Are we ready to do it"

Excuse me if I went of track but I mean well I do get all thats been said new day and the present its good to be reminded

Heard some one say a Present is gift - from ( who ever Person or God or what ever faith or not anyone is) and Today is the Present so we should maybe treat it as a gift

Farmer but a Farmeress - till I find a name

Comment

Saturday, October 14

If you're wondering what in the heck I was doing up at 1:00 AM posting on the board, which is a bit out of character for me, well -- so was I! Here's the story.

Yesterday afternoon I had to give a presentation to an "important" committee on the progress of a project I have been leading for the past year and a half. Well, they think they are important anyway. I guess they are, since they control the purse strings. So I got up early to work on my presentation, put it into a PowerPoint, etc. My day ended with this presentation, with lots of Q & A, with most of the Q coming from a new member (who used to be an Air Force general, if that gives you any indication of the directness of her Q's). I guess I handled it OK. I didn't get flustered. I was in control. I kept my poker face on. Etc.

In the old days I would have come straight home and started drinking. I was both elated that I made it through the experience, and exhausted from the whole thing. Instead, I decided that I needed a nap. I took care of a couple of immediate chores, ate a quick dinner, and laid down on the couch to watch the news and rest. The next thing I knew it was midnight. 6 hours had passed in the blink of an eye. WOW. That's what I call a NAP. :H

Anyway it is apparently just what my body needed. I had been stressing over work for the past several weeks, and this presentation (and the possible outcome) was the apex of the last few days. Whereas in the past I would have masked my fatigue with drinking and dialing, I just treated it with rest. And today I feel back to normal and ready to move on. Had I come home and drunk a bottle of vodka, I would today STILL be tired from the week -- but also depleted from the drinking itself. It is amazing that I was able to live through the years of abuse I put my body through that way.

Anyhoo, as our theme for the day reminds us, that is the past, and today is today -- so I wont' dwell on the past. As for today, MACKS is once again the first to post. And, I have a suggestion. MACKS, since you just won a fabulous prize yesterday, what's say lets give a prize today to our newest folks to post in Absville. By my account, that would be Cheryl and Tracy. Sound like a plan? Of course Gabby is the Prize Consultant -- so Gabbs, get your thinking cap on, sista.

CV, so good to see you back here!! And good morning to Nancy, and Mojo as well.
                    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

We can't change yesterday, but we can try not to repeat yesterdays mistakes. If we have regrets about yesterday, we can try to make amends where necessary, and then let yesterday go. I think "I'm sorry" is undrrated and underused.

It avails us nothing to worry about tomorrow, but we can dream, and we can plan, and we can try and make things better. I find that reminding myself of my dreams is often a good incentive not to drink when I feel cravings. I have to have stronger plans though when something intense comes along that is very troubling.

At any rate, your topic about worry about tomorrow is a very good one, Mike, because I just sent off an e-mail to my ex this morning pretty much telling him to sign the Amended Agreement OR ELSE! This was after getting an extremely manipulative e-mail from him wanting to know WHY I wanted FORMAL legal documents., as well as complaining about how hard his life is right now and blah, blah, blah..... Gee, why would I want formal legal documents from a deadbeat dad who owes me gobs of $$$ and went and had a second child when he wasn't even paying for the first child? Aren't I just so mean?? Unfortunately, it took me a long time to realize that I can only have a little bit of empathy for him before it turns into not taking care of my own needs and interests. So anyway, all of this makes me pretty anxious, which is rather dumb, considering that I hold all the trump cards in this case. So I will be working hard not to worry about tomorrow!! I must say, I think that my response to him was a masterful piece of writing!

Otherwise, I have another day of moving furniture and whatnot around, cleaning and etc. My sis goes back to NY tomorrow, but will be back for good soon! Having her here has been such a blessing. I sure hope it stays that way. Maddy just got home from taking SAT Subject tests in Math and French.

So I will try to live for today today. I will put e-mails out of my mind and focus on what I plan for today. I will write down what I need to do Monday in my planner and forget it!

Macks, what kind of fish do you catch in the sea over there?? Enjoy your evening!

CV, it is so good to see you back again.

Hugs, Mojo, I hope you'll remember to stay in today tomorrow, too!

Cheryl, Tracy, Farmeress, welcome! Stay close! And Farmeress, may the butterflies in all of us continue to emerge!

Hi, Nancy! You know I am working beside you in spirit! Shelling butter beans, picking tomatoes, whatever!

And hey Gabarino, what's it like being the prize consultant instead of Mayor? Hope it's a little easier on your time!:H

Hugs to all!

Kathy:l
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Saturday, October 14

The Present

mikeupnorth wrote: How do you stay grounded in the here and now?
                        Mike, something that I found in a restaurant hanging on the wall one day -

"Yesterday is history,
                        Tomorrow is a mystery,
                        Today is a gift...
                        That's why they call it -
                        The Present"

Whenever I start stressing about past actions, I refer myself back to this; it helps me to let whatever it is bugging me, go.
                        :teeter:

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Just testing to see if i got this sussed.
                          [/IMG]
                          Possibly not
                          [/IMG]

Comment

Saturday, October 14

Hiya everyone,
                            Do you know when you write that long post that includes everyone, and while you were typing you though of some great stuff of the top of your head, and then you delete it instead of posting it.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH...

Now i've just lost the will to live.....See ya Later...Love Macks:l

Comment

Saturday, October 14

LMAO Macks!!!
                              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Working...
                              X