could this be a turning point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, just HOPING that maybe this is some sort of corner or turning point.... i was af tues,weds,thurs and each day i was SO looking forward to friday and a cold beer. so, friday comes, and normally i would have gotten a beer about 6pm. well, at 6pm, sure, i wanted it, but i was busy and just put it off. then i got one about 7pm. it was good. then i had dinner and a glass of wine. then it was about 930pm and i had allowed myself 3 for the night. so, i poured a half a glass of wine. well, i took 2 sips and just realized i didn't want it. i wanted a pellegrino!! normally i would have really wanted that half glass. But, really, i just didn't want it. so, i poured it out and got a pellegrino and was very happy about it.

anyway...has this happened to any of you? where the appeal just got lost after one or two after you have been afing or modding for a little bit? i'm hoping this is some sort of turning point....am i being too optimistic?

xo

Yes, I rember not wanting more wine to drink. It has been a response I have at times, but not consistently. That feeling of tossing the rest down the drain (instead of down my throat) is very liberating.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Letgo,

I think what happens as one drinks less is that the tolerance for alcohol lessens and you find you really do feel the nice little buzz on one or two and feel satisfied to quit at that.

That's why we encourage people to try to quit for 30 days before they try to mod. One of the reasons for that is it decreases the tolerance for alcohol so hopefully if they're not chronic alcoholics they can drink a small and medically safer amount of alcohol and enjoy it.

I find after being here for a while that going out to dinner is usually the easiest way for me to mod. I have learned that drinking at home alone doesn't work for me and I have to be very careful at parties with other drinkers as somehow I find I don't feel as satisfied with just two drinks when others around me keep drinking and drinking. We learn our triggers the more we do this and hopefully can make needed changes and be able to continue to mod.

I'm actually throwing a birthday party for hubby this Friday but do find it's easier to mod being hostess than being a guest so not quite as nervous. Plus I purposely planned a morning event with a friend to help me stay on track Friday night.

:l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

i'm loving these little "changes" that are happening as a result of my efforts.
        I didn't do very well this week with AF. Only had 2 days, whereas the past few weeks I've done at least 3, with a goal of 4. oh well, there were some positives...like last night, i had allowed myself 3, my husband was gone and my son and i were here. it was one of those curl up with the remote nights and i was looking forward to a glass of wine to go with it.
        so, way back a few months ago(ha), i would have popped a beer at 6pm. last night, i didn't even feel a strong urge and it was 630p already. my son and i went for pizza at 7p and i had one with my meal. then i came home and watched american idol and had a glass of wine. my hubby got home around 930p and got a glass of wine, and I thought maybe i would just have half a glass. But, i thought about it, and guess what? I didn't want it. woohoo. got myself some pellegrino and was HAPPY with that. i think that is a turning point. before, i would have had that half a glass because i COULD, even if i didn't really want it. Actually, I probably wouldn't have considered if I even wanted it or not, i would have just had it. So....nice, 2 changes.

i have a function tonight and tomorrow night, so my challenge is to keep it to a minimum....i know that just cause i had a good night last night doesn't mean i should let my guard down.

it's tiring though, keeping your guard up. I see why some folks just say screw it and go AF, I never understood that before.

ok, so thanks if you've read this far in my ramble. LOL

Comment

Working...
        X