Interesting Article - topa and nicotine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicotine is another monkey on my back. With a family chock full of alcoholics, I don't know anyone who died of alcoholism, but both parents and one sibling suffered tobacco related deaths. I went looking for articles regarding how Topa works in that regard. Here are a couple snips from an article on the effects of Topa in problem drinkers who are also trying to stop smoking:

"Despite the proposal that smoking cessation can trigger alcohol relapse among the dually dependent, contemporary studies show that smoking cessation treatment does not cause abstinent alcoholics to relapse and could reduce moderate to heavy drinking among those still consuming alcohol," write Bankole A. Johnson, DSc, MD, PhD, from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, and colleagues. "Previously, our group has shown that topiramate, a sulfamate-substituted fructopyranose derivative, is an effective treatment for alcohol dependence. Herein, we extend that proof-of-concept study by determining whether cigarette-smoking, alcohol-dependent individuals from the earlier study also experienced improved smoking outcomes."

This subgroup analysis was part of a larger, double-blind, 12-week study comparing topiramate and placebo as treatment for alcohol dependence.

Compared with patients receiving placebo, those receiving topiramate were at least four times more likely to abstain from smoking.

Full article available at medscape dot com. I tried a link but the site requires a login so it didn't work ... anyway

All this ... And it makes you lose weight too. Side effects be danged - this is starting to sound like a miracle pill!

Tracy

sigpic

Tracy,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I, too, am a smoker who hopes to stop. I was thinking I would give that a try after I have a little sober time under my belt. I had heard from my doctor that Topamax might help in that regard.

I looked at the article and it seems promising. I noticed that the dosage used in the study was "up to 300 mg." I'm currently at 200 but considering titrating up to 300 mg as we get closer to the holidays. (The holidays are going to be harder for me, I just know it... as I will be spending 10 days with my heavy-drinking family....)

Maybe this is something RJ can put into the blog.

Again -- thanks for the info.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Working...
    X