Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using acamprosate (sold by Merck as Campral)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear All,

I have been using Campral to treat addiction. At the beginning it seemed to be working ok, but I guess when I went on the booze again, it lost its desired effect (the medication, that is).

Has any of you been on this medication? Any tips?

I'm on 4 tablets a day. Have been on it for over 2 months now.

For more info on the medication - http://www.campral.com/

Cheers,
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Maybe you need to increase your dose. The sample pack given to me by my doc was 2 pills 3X a day and that is what the script is for.

This is only my third day and the insert said it takes 5 days to kick in. The weekend will be tough but I hope to make it. Monday will be day six and I am hoping to see a big difference by then.

-Nina

Comment

Good luck

Hope it works for you Nina. It increased my dose, too. The problem is that when I'm on 6 pills my intestines go haywire ... Anyway, hang in there!
      Paddy
      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

HI Paddy,

This is my second attempt with campral. the first time (starting in Feb) I went 6 months without a drink and thought I had it beat - yeah right. not. Started back on it again two weeks ago and its working again. I'm only taking 2 tablets a day, one morning and night because they make me feel drugged to the eyeballs otherwise. Have some sporadic runs to the bathroom. It certainly works better than naltrexone. BUT, I'm not drinking - it only helps if you don't drink - I was drinking while taking it at the end of the first six months, but I really think that relapse had more to do with what was going on in my head than the effectiveness of the drugs.

Flip
        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Flip, thanks for the comparison to naltrexone. I wondered which was better and have recently ordered campral. Cannot wait for it to arrive. I am so glad there are drugs and we do not have to do this on willpower alone, because will power and white knuckling it do not work. All the best to you-

Comment

Working...
          X