Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday October 15

Good Sunday morning, Absville!

Hope you are all enjoying a peaceful weekend. I know I’m enjoying mine! After my long sleep last night I spent my day buying some new things for my apartment. At last, the walls aren’t bare! (Funny how I have money left over out of my paychecks when I’m not wasting it on booze…..)

Marcie – congrats on 100 days. Way to go!! And Paddy, welcome to Monthly Abs! We are glad you’re here.

Now – we never got around to giving out prizes for yesterday. Gabby was busy with family obligations so I didn’t get a chance to consult with her, but I think she will approve of this choice. Tracy and Cheryl both get – hold onto your hats, folks – to go back and spend a day as a child. That’s right, they can pick an age, any age they choose. Five, six, ten years old, whatever their favorite age was. They get to spend a day just playing and having fun and not having responsibilities or worries. That is their prize for the day. (Kathy, since you are the good witch, I may need your help to pull this one off!)

So that brings me to the theme of the day. We spend an awful lot of time here talking about the “work” of abstinence. (I stand guilty as charged.) We talk about the “shoulds” and “musts” and “oughts.” That puts a lot of pressure on us. And it’s true that abstinence takes a lot of work.

Let me stop for one second here. I’d just like to say that I actually prefer the word “sobriety” to the word “abstinence.” The reason is that abstinence, by definition, means that you are giving something up, that you are depriving yourself of something. Sobriety is just a state of being. In fact, it is the natural state of being – as opposed to intoxication, which is an unnatural state of being, and a toxic one at that. So – if I start saying sobriety instead of abstinence, that is why.

Anyway, I digress.

Sobriety does indeed take work. But it’s not all about work – it’s about living life. There can be a lot of play, too. We can laugh and have fun and even have fun at our own expense. And most of all, I think it’s very important to remember to do good things for ourselves.

We are working very hard to achieve some very important goals here. Being sober in and of itself is a reward. But can you think of other ways that you can reward yourself along the way? Can you find ways to make your day more enjoyable? It can serve as positive reinforcement, and also just make your day more pleasant.

Perhaps you enjoy naps, or bubble baths, or getting a full-body massage. Do you like to get a manicure? Or a facial? Or going to the beach? Think about it. What kinds of things can you do to enrich your life that you didn’t take the time to do when you were drinking? Now’s your chance – since you aren’t spending your time and energy on alcohol and hangovers, go out and enjoy life’s true pleasures.

What do you say? Sunday is the perfect day to start.
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Sunday October 15

Good Sunday to you all! Marcie! I've been thinking of you a lot lately. Congrats on 100 days! WOW!! Pop in more often. You are missed here and it may provide extra insurance as you finish up your treatment. Glad to hear you are doing well!
    I'm up this morning at 3 am today, but feel full of energy....better than I have in days. So I am just going to go with it. If I need a nap later, I'll nap. I've always loved the stillness of the early morning.
    Mike...I think you are a guardian angel in disguise, aren't you! I find such comfort from your posts. They always touch my soul and brighten my day. Thank you!
    Today is my chance to do something "special". No soccer or work obligations. I'll report in later. I am frequently checking my determination level on a scale from 0-10. It really helps me! It must be the nurse in me because we always ask our patients what their pain level is on a 0-10. It's keeping my thoughts and feelings in check.
    Love to you all! Gina:l Day 11

Comment

Sunday October 15

Good Morning!

Good Morning Absville!

Firstly, Marcie, it was great to see your post from the other night! I'm glad that you hardly think of alcohol any more. What a long way you've come!! I'm glad that your treatment hasn't proved to be too bad for you. It is always such a treat when you pop in.

Mike, I have no problem using the word sobriety instead of abstinence. My only point of contention would be that we have to keep the name "Absville" for our town. I can't imagine calling it "Sobsville"! That just wouldn't give the right image!

I will get right to work on tinkering with my magic bubble to accomodate time travel so that Tracy and Cheryl can have a trip back to whatever age they want. Let's not forget Meridian who posted on Friday, and now there's also Paddy, too.

Anyway, I agree that sobriety does not all entail work! It's an awful lot of WORK to continue to function while you're drinking! It takes energy to develop a new lifestyle that doesn't include drinking, but everything worth having takes energy. But the payoffs and possibilities are enormous.

Anyway, I'm off to start my day for now! I'll check back in later!

Hugs to all!

Kathy:l
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Sunday October 15

Good Morning all!!
        Gina - glad you are having a great morning. I love early morning too - don't see it that much but I like it when I do. Enjoy the rest of your day.
        Mike- I like the subject for today. I need to think about it more. I like all those things you listed but they just don't ever last long enough. And in some ways those things can actually be triggers for me.
        Get a manicure - celebrate with wine, get a massage - then lunch with wine after, go to a movie...get wine - you get the picture..
        Maybe that is just me. I even have trouble shopping at my favorite outdoor mall because I would always end my shopping tour at the little Italian restaurant...and yes, wine. I went there yesterday and felt almost physically drawn to that restaurant. I even thought, why not just go there and get coffee? But I resisted all and went home.
        I think this has actually been a difficulty for me. I feel immobilized to some extent - and that doesn't make sense to me.
        I should feel full of life and energetic and ready to tackle all those projects I wanted to do but didn't because I was drinking and smoking. I'm just struggling with it. When I first stopped drinking I felt great because I wasn't waking up hungover every morning. But now I feel 'diminishing returns' almost.
        Does that make sense to anyone? I'm still excessively happy I'm not drinking and very happy I'm not hungover every day...but still something seems to be missing. Ah well, won't be solved right this minute right?
        And not to be all negative today....but I think I may have to stick with abstinence and not sobritey. I like feeling that I'm choosing not to drink ( abstinence) insetad of an alcoholic who can't drink (sobriety) It is weird how words mean different things to different people or have different connotations. I can see how sobriety might sound better to some but it makes me nervous for some reason- like I have to maintain "sobriety" but I choose to be "abstinent". Either is good though....much better than drunk!

I am doing something very fun today though...I'm going to see David Sedaris tonight! Most of the people I've told have never heard of him but I think he is just Fabulous! (that was for you mike ).

Anyway- sorry to be a bit down today...but hey, I'm kind of down today

Hope everyone has a great Sunday - the weather is beautiful out!
        Day 18

Lisa:l

Comment

Sunday October 15

Hi everyone!!
          Mike - Thanks for the topic.
          With me, I actually enjoy spending time getting things in order - like, putting clothes away, doing laundry (really its true), doing the kitchen, writing shopping lists, budgeting etc. - that makes me feel organized - and I didn't really do that when I was drunk/hungover...so thats something I enjoy.
          I also enjoy going out with my sister or friends for walks around the local lake/pond which I definitely didnt do if drunk/hungover and I LOVE baths.

Hope everyone is great today. Going on a big grocery shopping excursion today with hubby...
          I am actually feeling relieved its Sunday (I cant believe i am saying that, considering I used to HATE Sunday) because I still have a lot of difficulty with the weekends...I had TERRIBLE, difficult cravings on Friday night...I think it was back to that old mentality of "well, its friday night - I deserve to have drinks".... Let's just say I was NOT in a good mood and I was dangerously close to giving in to tempation which really scared me...but I am happier today...
          Love all
          Jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Sunday October 15

Good afternoon Absville,

When I read your post Mike, I have to say that I had the same thought Kathy did. Sobsville?:H

I did something I like to do this morning! My hubby and I went out to eat breakfast. We like the Cracker Barrel country store and restaurant. It's a fun place to "people" watch and they have a huge fireplace. It is on interstate 65 so you get people from all over! They already have Christmas out in the store! Fun!!!!!

I'm reading a book by Neil T. Anderson and Mike & Julia Quarles. It's "Freedom From Addiction". The first part of the book is the story of Mikes battle with alcohol. He was a stock broker and had everything going for him but couldn't kick the habit. He is finally able to find freedom but it was a long battle.
            I would recommend this book ...but it is not lite reading..

Lisa...it sounds like some "new" memories at that shopping center would help. Is there a Barnes & Noble?
            They have great coffee and hot chocolate to die for!

I like folding laundry and cleaning out stuff also! Putting things in order maybe?

Hi to all here......hope Sunday evening is peaceful!

Nancy:l
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sunday October 15

Nancy...you know what?? I think I will do just that. Hot chocolate sounds really good right about now.
              I've been working mostly today and need a break.

Thanks!

Comment

Sunday October 15

Yum!

Yeah! I love Cracker Barrel! The best anytime you want breakfast place around! And a wonderful country store too!

I am happy to say that it looks like things might possibly work out without rancor between my ex and I. We have had an exchange of rather emotional e-mails, but they seem to be sincere. I am hoping that I can trust this, but I am keeping my guard up until I have signed papers. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!" :crossed:

Fortunately, I have done all writing of said e-mails in the morning, so I have been drinking cappucino. It would have been extremely difficult to have resisted drinking otherwise....day5!!

Hugs,
                Kathy:l
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Sunday October 15

Hey there Absville,

You are right, Kathy, 'Sobsville' just doesn't have the right sound to it!! :H BTW I am not suggesting that we do away with the word abstinence, but just think about how language affects our feelings. Your point was well taken, Lisa. The word "sobriety" has a certain negative connotation for you (one of deprivation) that it doesn't for me. For me, it's the exact opposite. So again -- the point is just to be aware of how these words make you feel, and to choose them carefully. Especially when you are applying them to yourself. Words have a powerful impact on your self-image. Oh, and Lisa, thanks for throwing in the word "fabulous."

Gina -- hope you found time for a nap today! I, too, have been waking up early (sometimes as early as 3:00 AM) full of energy. But I usually find that by mid-afternoon a nap is just the ticket.

Kathy, I liked something you pointed out: drinking, especially toward the end, took an awful lot of work. I mean, it was not easy to keep drinking that way. So the work we are doing to stay sober is not that much to ask of ourselves, considering the benefits. Thanks for putting that into perspective for me!! Oh, and I'm glad to hear that you and your ex may be able to work things out without pulling out the big guns...

Hey Nancy, that sounds like a good book. You mentioned the first part was about Mike Quarles' battle with alcohol. May I ask what the second part was about?

And Jen -- I also enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I get things done. Love getting the kitchen cleaned up, the bills paid, the house organized, etc. But laundry..... hmmm. Can't go that far!! Anyway, I have some exciting news for you. Since you were hit with a Super Strong Temptation on Friday, and since you had the Strength and Fortitude to overcome it, even though it was Friday the Thirteenth, you are the winner of today's Mayoral Prize!! (Yeah, whistles and applause! Confetti is falling!! :wd: ) Here is your prize: Since you LOVE baths, you are going to get a bathroom makeover! You get to design it, but I would assume you'll want some kind of big sunken bathtub, with jacuzzi jets. You can have one wall overlooking a beautiful garden (the garden is part of the package too) with complete privacy of course. In fact the window is one-way glass. So start thinking of all the bathroom amenities you'd like, because they are yours. Anything is possible here in Absville! (And remember, those cravings don't last forever!)

Well I have taken my own advice, in a way. I have taken the day to do things that I enjoy. I have done "apartment gardening" -- repotted my plants and bought a couple of new ones. I got grow lights in anticipation of the long dark winter which is almost upon us. I did a little bit of decorating of the apartment and got it spruced up a bit, which makes it feel brighter and more inviting. And then, of course, I took a NAP. One of my favorite activities. Tonight I am having dinner with one of my sober/recovering friends. So it is a good day. Oh, and I woke up to snow on the ground -- always a pretty surprise the first couple of times it happens at least.

All righty then. Take care out there, and keep on keepin' on. Love you guys!

Mike
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Sunday October 15

Back to check in. It is amazing what can be accomplished when sober! All the things I thought were boring when I was drinking gave me such joy today. Like Jenneh and Nancy, I find pleasure in just putting things in order. I organized the junk, cleaned, did lots of laundry, and actually took time preparing a great dinner focusing on the nutrition....not just whatever was easy so i could get back to enjoying my buzz. Took a long nap while my hubby took my 2nd son to Disneyland, older son played on computer, and youngest playing much of the afternoon at our neighbor's next door. They have 7 kids...don't think they even notice he is there sometimes!!
                    Good job to all who made it through another weekend sober! Kathy, glad to hear things have calmed down, at least for now, with the ex. Smart taking care of all that business in the morning! Gina

Comment

Sunday October 15

Hi everyone and thanks for all the great topics.
                      I joined in June of this year.Don't know if any one remembers me.I have read with interest and have learned a lot about myself.I haven't posted as i was too ashamed to.Fell off the wagon.Would someone please give me the seat belts so that i can put them on that wagon.I want them on tight this time,no slipping around.Many thanks to you CV. I've been mucking around with the amino acids and feel i'm coping with stress and panic attacks much better.Thanks.Glad to see you around the boards.

Good topic. Although i need to get my act together over the next few weeks and fix things that i let slip with me.Just little things but so many.If i can get every thing back in some sort of order i think i will feel a lot less stress. That will be my enjoyment of being sober.
                      Have a great day ever one Lluf

Comment

Sunday October 15

This is the first time I've had a chance to check Absville - what a thrill to get a kid's day!

Thanks, Mike.

I did have a great day. I tried golfing for the first time since I got hurt about a month ago. Played terribly, as usual, but didn't hurt anything and had a blast, then out to lunch.

Mike, I like your take on the word "sober." It's not always set well with me but the "state of being" thing works.

And, I guess there is work in not drinking, but drinking the way I did was one heck of a lot of work and it took a lot of planning too.

After feeling like I had too much time on my hands, now I'm feeling crunched for time because I'm barely caught up with classes after mid-terms, they now want me working more hours at work, and I'm going to miss a week of classes three weeks from now. I'm ditching school to go on a sober cruise - southern Carribean (my son's going to). It was a purely irresponsible decision on my part. The kid in me doesn't really need much encouragement. :H

I should get the topa a few days before I leave, so I can't decide whether to start on it and brave the side effects or wait until the cruise is over and risk getting drunk along the way. Any input anyone has on this would be much appreciated. Note the entire ship is not sober, just a group of travelers who make up a small fraction of passengers.

Hugs to all,

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X