Mary Anne, Q. re: Topomax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what dose did you start at, what were your side affects and how, as in what way has it helped you?
    I come home, I want to drink, I'm not sure how to change this pattern?
    Thanks,
    Pussycat

25 mg

I started at 25, then went to 50, then 75 and so on, now am up to 125, and plan to go as high as I can tolerate, as I just wrote, haven't had the best couple weeks, but not as bad as they could have been!!!

My god not as bad!! Do you have any?? I would start ASAP

MA

Comment

Hi pussy cat
      I know you didnt ask me - but I thought I would throw my two cents in too cause topa has changed my life literally...
      I used to drink every day - EVERYDAY. I mean, to go one day was TORTURE.
      I never thought anything would work for me. I went to AA meetings before and used to leave early so I could hit the liquor store before it closed.
      When I started topa, I still had no faith it could actually wrk, truth be told. I couldnt believe anythign could possibly help me. I started at 25mg, worked my way (25 mg per week) up to 125 mg where I stayed for a while, then recently went up to 150 mg, then 175 mg and now I am at 200 mg.
      While I really started to notice a difference for me at 125 mg or so, the REAL REAL change was at the 175 mg-200mg mark - its like they describe it - the switch went off in my brain.
      I have now gone 16 days out of 17 days of October alcohol free (the other one day I had one glass of wine). This is a miracle - A MIRACLE - for me. The weeks (Sun - Thurs) have literally been no problem (well, more or less). By now, I can say I have created a new habit. I dont even think about (so much) drinking anymore during the weeks. Its not even hard. Its not so much a consideration - on a tuesday its a given now that I wont drink that night 'cause its tuesday ,you know? I cant believe that its only been a couple of weeks and already I feel that way.....
      Tha harder parts are still the weekends (esp friday nights - last friday, I admit, was really hard) - but I think that is still the "its the weekend, I deserve to drink, I am missing out on drinking etc. etc. mentality). SO, to answer your question, IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS - it is amazing. I can't believe it.
      Anyways, hope that helps.
      Hugs
      Jen
      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

thanks Jen

Jen, I needed to hear that too, along w/ Pussycat.........you know I have been having a little bit of a hard time, so I think I am going up, you say 200 was the majic button? Never made it that high cuz I am scared of the dopa stuff being a nurse and all, don't want to be dumb.........have said some dumb things, but just laughed them off!! If I make a big mistake it would be really bad!

Thanks for all your help, you are great!!:l :h

MA

Comment

Mary Anne - 175mg-200mg for me was the magic button. I still struggled pretty badly with cravings at 125mg. I didnt notice a real diff until 175-200mg honestly. I easily drank my way through the medication and had pretty tough cravings all the way up to that point. I wish I stil had my "drink trackers" from the last couple of months to show you at each month. I could probably put together sample ones (I have a general idea) at each dose to show you....if you want an idea....
          Hugs
          Jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Thanks Jen and Mary Anne..

For your good info.
            I guess i'm scared of meds because it was so hard for me to get off of celexa, but i finally did it.
            The confusion symptom that you guys talk about is scary too because i have to be so focused in my job and have a lot of clear discussions. I absolutely hate this constant thinking about alcohol though. Do you ever stop thinking about it so much?
            Anyway, you guys are an inspiration!
            P.c.

Comment

Working...
            X