Q's re: Breaking a pattern..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you change your pattern. I come home, I start drinking. I'm usually agitated and irritable at that time of day and the drinking gives me some relief. Of course, it is a vicious cycle.
    What have you guys done to break the pattern, drink less, control your drinking. I'm looking for your baby steps please, like the very first things you did.
    Thanks so much!
    Pussycat

feel your pain

Pussycat,

I feel your pain, was like that for about 2 weeks recently cuz of a couple bad things that happened and I just couldn't get a grip! I just went to the gym yesterday, thought about it all day (not drinking), was scared that I wouldn't be able to make it, talked about it on the boards (got a little encouragement too! ) that helped!

I hope you can find something to occupy your time to postpone your drink(?) that might help.....Can you find someone to walk with? that might help, or have coffee?

Do you take the supps or topa yet? They help alot!!!

Take care,

love and hugs, hang in there girlie!

MA:l :h

Comment

Here are some things that help me a lot. Bear in mind, none of them totally take away the pull of that old pattern, but they help.

1. Others may disagree, but I find part of the habit is "having" something to drink always with me. So plan for an alternative that you are excited about. This varies for me depending on my mood. In winter, sometimes I choose a fun flavor of herbal tea, heat up a kettle of hot water and have it on low all evening on the stove. Also lets your family know you are not drinking alcohol, and they may join you.

2. In summer, I like a "fake" frozen margarita made with a can of limeade, two cans of water and one can of ice cubes. Blend it all up -- really yummy. I also like non-alcoholic sparkling cider in a wine glass.

3. I recalled things I "used" to do at night before I started drinking. Crocheting was easy and a lot of fun, and keeps my hands busy. I get burned out on it at times, but its fun to work on a project you can finish in about four or five evenings. Any other things you can make with your hands? Any projects to stay busy and pass the time?

4. I have been trying to get together with friends in the evening at Starbucks or other coffee shops to hang out and have a latte. Cozy atmosphere and no temptation to order alcohol. Great for rebuilding relationships and getting out of the house.

5. Reading a great book and popping some popcorn.

6. Getting on chat or reading through posts that interest me and this passes the time too.

Anyway.... these are some of the things I did in the beginning and still do on nights I dont drink.

I hope this helps a little!
      Allie
      What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Being on these boards helps a lot for me.
        Cooking a nice dinner for myself and husband helps....
        The topa has been a Godsend for me.....
        Hope that helps
        Jen
        Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

M.a. Allie, Jen..

All good suggestions. I used to do stuff that when i was stopping smoking and I knew that if I rode it out, that I would soon stop thinking about it..Is it like that with alcohol?
          P.C.

Comment

Yup, it just gets easier, honest. Like, half the battle is just breaking the habit - maybe even more than half the battle!!!
            Hugs
            Jen
            Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Working...
            X