X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad April Thread

Happy April Modders and Lurkers

***HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY***

To get your day off on the right start here are some April Fool's tricks to play on your family and loved ones. I especially like the toothpaste one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QlqONkIwBw[/video]]YouTube - How To Prank Someone's Food For April Fool's Day

Wanted to share a quote for the month of April:

Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed.
    Let's get out of the darkroom and share our light and pearls of wisdom with each other.

My pearl of wisdom for today: It's important to find activities that you love that don't mix well with alcohol. Sometimes it's too easy to get into activities that seem tailor made for drinking which can make moderation more difficult. Example: Turn lunch with a girlfriend into meeting at Starbucks for a coffee.

Here's to a successful April. Keep posting because we all need each other!!

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Mod Squad April Thread

A pinch and a punch for first of the month.

LOL at some of the April Fool suggestions Eve!! I love chocolate covered garlic cloves! Did you pull any pranks on your family today?

Speaking of AF activites, i met a group of friends for coffee yesterday and really enjoyed it. Usually we see each other in the evenings and a glass (or two) of wine is involved so this was a nice change.

My goal for this month is to get back into the habit of meditating again. So I've joined a 30 day course on the Oprah website called One Moment Meditation. I'm really wanting to learn how to manage my stress better and therefore also my triggers.

Tomorrow is a public holiday so today has a Friday feeling to it. Enjoy:-)
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

hi folks
      i've been a little busy and unable to post lately, but I've been reading your posts and keeping up.

i did not meet my AF days goal in March. I had a few weeks where I only had 2 days AF. I really hope I can do better in April. I had too many weekday social activities last month. I didn't over do it at any of them, but I did allow myself to drink on a day I had originally planned to be AF for, several times.

So, my ocd is acting up again. here is how my last 2 weeks of drinking were:
      Mar 31 - 3
      Mar 30- 2
      mar 29 - 0
      mar 28 - 3
      Mar 27 - 3
      mar 26- 3
      mar 25 - 2
      mar 24 - 0
      mar 23 - 0
      mar 22-1.5
      mar 21- 1.5
      mar 20 - 3
      mar 19 - 2
      mar 18- 0
      mar 17 -2
      The fear of doing 2 AF days in a row is scaring me because for the last week, i've been having 2 or 3 drinks a day! So, I'm feeling like I used to and that I'm going to have to do the taper again. Please tell me that is silly. I'm planning to go AF tonight, then keep it to 2 drinks friday and 3 drinks saturday, then AF again Sunday and Monday. just calm my fears a little ok? I'm not going to have serious withdrawals on my AF days coming up right?

this is such an obstacle for me. I started back in therapy for my OCD yesterday. So, I hope that will help. In the meantime, I am coming here for some reassurance.

other than that, things are ok. I feel like I've over done it when I have 3 drinks now. I don't feel hungover, but I do feel like that is too much, even on a Saturday night. EVEN on my birthday last week. I felt like 3 drinks was PLENTY! When i go back and look at my drink tracker, I'm grossed out when I see those 3's! So, I think in April, I am going to really try to keep the 3's to a minimum!

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Yip, you're being silly & no I don't think you'll have serious withdrawals either.
        What do you have planned on those days that you are going AF? Do something special and keep yourself busy and you'll be surprised how soon the temptation will pass. If all else fails, jump online for support LetGO.. we're here for you:-)
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Hi letgo, im not an expert in withdrawals, but you are not a heavy drinker so I really dont think you should be worrying about that so much. Good luck this month!

It is exciting to start a new month!! Last month i wasn't really successful at the wedding, so, on Saturday I'll try my best to do things right.I wont drink for the first 2 or 3, so im hoping I'll be able to be pround of myself wehn I wake up on Easter Sunday.

I have dinner plans tonight which involve some wine. It bothers me a little to drink on day ONE of the month....... We are meeting our friends for drinks first and then dinner, so my plan is to have one when we get there and then no more than 2 with dinner!

I wish you all (including myself) a very successul month!!

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Hi Everybody,
            I haven't posted in a week, I think. Life is busy, especially now that spring is here.
            Deebs and Eve, have you thought about ornamental grasses for your screen? Miscanthus is the type that grows very tall, over 6 feet, with lovely seed heads in the fall and winter. It gets this big in a year or two, depending on the size pots you buy. You cut them down nearly to the ground in early spring (March in the USA, September for Deebs I think), so you might want to plant something in front of them to look at when they are re-growing.

CanadianGirl, my hellebore flowers made it right through temperatures in the teens, well below freezing several days ago.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Good morning all,

We had a great time last night and, as planned, I had 3 glasses of wine. My girls woke me up this morning and it's sooooooo great to wake up in the morning after an evening out without a hangover. I love it!

I'm taking my girls to the beacj today and we are going to paint aggs too. We are going to my friend's mother's beach house which is beautiful. Ususally when i go there we end up having wine in th afternoon, not today. I plan to be AF until saturday's wedding

Have a great day!

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Good morning Mods,
                Even though I have gone AF I will stay active with LT Mods group in April. After reading your posts to me at end of March I got message you would like to receive updates from me. I would miss our connections so desire is mutual for me to remain on board with you.

I am on day 16 being AF. It is has been trying but rewarding. Being involved in local AA meetings and with three other members is helping a lot. I told my three sons of my decision and all have been supportive. My wife has been with me since day one and is all for my new life.

The process being AF is too new to say too much except to emphasize that involvement in AA, their meetings, written literature and support is terrific. Preconieved notions I had of organization were all wrong. I am being told and it is written that first 30 days are hardest to get through without drinking because of triggers and urges. The key is to never take that first drink and get support that is available to me not to do so.

Take care and I will update you as month progresses.

Great day to all

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

mg - I wrote you a little message at the end of last month's thread, if you haven't seen it. It's nice that you are sticking around for a while.

It's been a month since I started out here, and I've learned a LOT! Thanks to all for that. :l My drinking is way down, I have regular AF days, and I feel soooo much better than I did. Goal for the month: keep on chipping away at this drinking habit, and continue making progress. I want 3 AF days a week by the end of April.

Happy Easter to all! :chick:

Sunbeam - do the rabbits eat your hellebores? Because between them and the squirrels digging up the bulbs, I need a replacement for my crocus...
                  "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Hi Gang!

Well my sister and Mum suprised me with a night out last night to a restaurant called Moyo. We had such a fantastic time the three of us. There was tradition African dancing, singing and drums as well as getting our faces painted with beautiful designs.

Today we spent most of the day swimming and them some early evening gardening. I'll definetly think about some grasses to cover up my ugly wall, thanks Sun for the suggestion. The other thing I might get is Plumbago with a pretty blue flower... I'll see.

The husband comes home tonight after travelling around the country delivering his new publication so we'll be taking the rest of Easter weekend real slow.

Happy Easter friends!!

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Hi all,

Im back from the wedding. I did GREAT! I’m so happy now. Never before I would’ve been able to write this post after a wedding, today I can! I had 5 drinks which is more than I intended but I was there from noon until 6, so it was 5 drinks in 6 hours. I had champagne and believe champagne glasses are smaller than wine glasses, I had sprite and water in between drinks and I ate a lot. I will probably not be happy about my weight tomorrow but I will definitely not have a hangover because I have been drinking water and tea for the past two hours. I didn’t get drunk (even though I had 5 drinks). I was absolutely conscious as I said bye to everyone at the party. There is absolutely nothing I did that I would regret tomorrow. I am proud of myself. I never before went to an event like this one and left sober. We had an amazing time. My husband is proud of me. I got home and gave dinner to my girls, played with them a little bit and now they are sleeping. Im really happy. Tomorrow we are going to brunch to a really nice place and I will enjoy it!!!!!!!!

Happy Easter every one!!!

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

By the way, I'm not suggesting that it's ok to have 5 dirnks or that it's something you should be proud of. But this was an incredibly long patry where AL was being served non stop. I did frink a lot, I know. But I manage to keep sober which I'm proud of. I had water, I ate, etc. I have been to dinners where I've had 4 drinks and ended up very drunk, not today. So, what I'm proud of is that I didn't get drunk even though many people did, and A" was just there waiting for me!!!!

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Maia;832749 wrote: By the way, I'm not suggesting that it's ok to have 5 dirnks or that it's something you should be proud of. But this was an incredibly long patry where AL was being served non stop. I did frink a lot, I know. But I manage to keep sober which I'm proud of... . So, what I'm proud of is that I didn't get drunk even though many people did, and A" was just there waiting for me!!!!
                          Maia,

So proud of you and we totally understand what you are saying. This is a board for moderators so we know you're not encouraging others to drink 5 drinks but just explaining how it worked for you with less than 1 drink per hour (which is how long it takes your body to process a drink).

Now, if you were sharing this on an AF site than that would be another story.

You're safe here to share and if someone were to come online and give you trouble - we'd rally around you.

Good Job!!!
                          :l
                          Eve11
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Hi Everybody,
                            Eve, thanks for posting that one drink per hour standard. That was included with my auto insurance.

Maia, great work. The amount over time does make a difference. Frequency also matters, so it is not OK for anyone to have one drink per hour multiple times per week, but it is a standard to consider for special occasions.

Deebs, plumbago is a great plant. It emerges from the winter late, so I don't know if is a good complement to the big grasses because it won't be in bloom when you have cut them back. It also prefers some shade and moisture, which the grasses do not prefer. That blue flower truly is beautiful. Do forsythia and lilacs grow in your area? Sedums (especially taller varieties) would grow well in this kind of spot, though they also bloom later. Bulbs like daffodils and tulips are great complements, but I fear you don't get cold enough for them.

CanadianGirl, the bunnies don't bother my hellebores. I have lots of wildlife that come in from the fields behind my house. We need to figure out a date in August to see those botanical gardens.

LetGo, I'm glad you are getting help for your OCD issue, that contributes to your unrealistic fears about withdrawals. Don't be afraid to post your fears here, we are listening. Sometimes just writing it out and and seeing it in front of you may help you understand the problem (or lack of one).

MG72, my husband drinks more than I do now, you are lucky to have your wife's support.

Lila, are you still reading? It was so great to see your post. I understand your paranoia. One question I ask before posting: how many people know this about me? If the answer is, "not many" then it is safe to post. Overall, there are VERY few people who think I drink too much because that mostly occurred in my own home, so I feel safe. A lot of people do know about my gardening interest, but there are a lot of gardeners out there I think. I am just careful to not post something else that might complete the picture (she is a big gardener and _____) so it MUST be her.

I have been too busy to post lately, and that is a good thing. I came here partly because I was wasting time drinking instead of doing things I love. Now I am doing things I love instead of posting, which is my goal. I still drink, usually reasonable, weekly but I am getting OK with that. I am finding balance in my life. I will continue to post but when I go long periods without posting, please be assured that I am well and probably not drinking too much. I love you all.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad April Thread

Hello everyone! I am back and glad to be here. Won't say much except that my life has been extremely challenging the last year. I am thankful for the help and support I find here and look forward to visiting with my old friends and meeting some new ones.
                              Toughen up!

Comment

Working...
                              X