Am I Crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Crazy?

After close to 20 years of living with/ battling with/ being battered by alcohol, I'm as lost now as I was the first time I went for help in my 20s. I've been to hundreds of AA meetings, served in various capacities, tried various anti-depressants, tried non 12-step programs, etc. Now I'm trying MYO and waiting for the meds.

But I'm also considering going to an incredibly expensive treatment center that boasts a success rate of
    84%. The expense would eat up half of my inheritance, which is what I am going to school on and all I have in the way of retirement. It would also require me to be gone for a month, which means I withdraw from school now or just don't sign up for the spring semester and do it then. The scholarships would be cancelled, but that's no big deal to me. The money issue is huge - but 84% success rate - that's like a miracle! It's unheard of.

I think I must be crazy to even be thinking this way.

I don't want to do something stupid. :no:

I am so tired of being this way. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Tracy

sigpic

Am I Crazy?

Tracy:
    Have you really tried MWO completely by the book? Because it is very inexpensive and I am finding it is really helping me. Maybe if you do it inconjunction with some supportive therapy you will be successful and will be able to stay in school.
    Luckly Lynn

Comment

Am I Crazy?

Err i dunno Tracy...I suppose if it was me i wouldnt do it....If it was 100% yes...
      The pressure for me not to drink after spending so much money would make me want to drink...if that makes sense.
      Also theres nothing to say MWO wont work for you...

Still seams risky to me....What if you do that and this time next year you had a drink?....Where would you go from there?
      But i'm not you....Just giving you my opinion Tracy...Best of luck whatever you decide to do.....Macks
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Am I Crazy?

Tracy, you do not seem like you have been here long, or have you? I would keep trying at this program first and get out of it what you can. I know for me spending that much money would create too much pressure especially if it would leave you tight on money. You sound as if you are making a lot of progress here, right? That's my gyrating two cents worth.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Am I Crazy?

Tracy
          How long have you been around here? I dont think you have tried the meds because you say you are still waiting for them right?) It looks like you joined here on Oct 12 so you are really new...
          Have you spoken to a doctor about this program? Have you gotten medically examined? How is your health?
          Have you ever tried medication (anti-craving medication) before?
          Remember that AA doesnt work for a lot of people - thats why its success rate is only like 3% or something. The success rate around here i believe is a lot higher but I dont have the numbers.
          Before you go spending a lot of money, I would ask: who is giving you this 84% success rate? is it the people running the program? (and believe me, I am not trying to discourage you, its just that there are so many people out there trying to make money on people's addictions/misfortune etc. but if this is a good thing then fantastic - I am just trying to help)...
          just some food for thought.
          Hug
          Jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Am I Crazy?

Tracy, have you tried topamax? I have been on topa for 134 days and havent drank since!
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

Am I Crazy?

Thanks everybody! Your input really helped. I'm going to be patient and wait for the topa. I might find a local hynotherapist too, for the extra boost. The supplements should be here soon, that should help too.

Thanks,

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Am I Crazy?

You're going to be okay, Tracy. We sure are an impatient bunch, aren't we?:H
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Am I Crazy?

Hi Tracy difficult decision and not for me to advise. Like you I have been to hundreds of AA. stopped 2 years ago and tried to moderate. Didn't work' Not going back to AA for similar reasons you have stated. 2nd day sober. Bit rough for me last night. Don't want to sink any lowe so made a decision HA HA ( what would AA say about us making decisons)!! any will do my best to not drink today. Hope you can somehow do the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X