Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chlordiazepoxide???

Hello,

Last week I was suffering withdrawl real bad. After the third day I threw in the towel and started drinking pretty heavily again, which wasn't great. Anyways I eventually plucked up the courage to go to see the doctor on Tuesday and got a drug called Chlordiazepoxide which is supposed to help with the withdrawl. You're not supposed to drink at all while on them, so today was the first day I've plucked up the courage to try and do that. I'm a bit worried...the thought of not drinking...perhaps for forever...is still an idea that I have trouble dealing with.

Neways my main reason for posting was just to see if anyone else has any experience with this particular drug?? I think its related to valium. If anyone has any info that would be great.

thanks,
    francis

Chlordiazepoxide???

Hi Francis,

I have no experience with this drug but boy do I have experience with the fear of giving up drinking forever.
    Sounds like a LONG time doesn't it.

I am just finding my way back to the program after a 5 month break. I had a major life change and saw the drinking start escalating again.

When I was doing really well with the program, I tried not to think in terms of forever. I think that is just a set up for failure. Try and just take it one hour, one day, one week at a time. I promise you that although it will never be a piece of cake, sobriety does get easier with time.

It is like with anything when you are trying to create a good habit or quit a bad habit. Whether trying to stop biting your nails or start an exercize plan, it is always hard at first. Obviously our little problem is a bit more complicated, but the more AF days you have under your belt the easier it is to keep going or to start back up after a slip.

Take Care and keep us posted.

-Nina

Comment

Chlordiazepoxide???

Hi there
      I dont have personal experience with that drug but did some research. Here you go - looks like you SHOULD NOT drink if you are taking it and there are certain side effects you should just be careful of, ok ( I have bolded some stuff)
      Best of luck
      Jen

Chlordiazepoxide is used to treat mild anxiety and tension and is used for reduction of tension states that may accompany muscle spasm. Chlordiazepoxide possesses sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic and muscle relaxant properties. These effects appear to be mediated through facilitation of the actions of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the Central Nervous System.

Used as an adjunct in tension states associated with insomnia, pre and postoperative apprehension, tension headache, premenstrual tension and stress, and functional gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, gynecological, and dermatological disorders with an emotional overlay. May be useful in the alleviation of alcohol withdrawal syndromes, although drug dependence may result, substituting for alcohol dependence. May also reduce anxiety associated with psychosis, but is not a specific management of psychosis.

I.V. chlordiazepoxide is indicated for the relief of acute agitation and hyperactivity (e.g., alcoholism, anxiety, hysterical and panic states, drug withdrawal symptoms) when rapid action is required or oral administration is not feasible.

Caution:
      Caution patients about engaging in activities requiring mental alertness, judgment and physical coordination, such as driving an automobile or operating dangerous machinery.

Though generally not recommended, if combination therapy with other psychotropics seems indicated, carefully consider individual pharmacologic effects, particularly the use of potentiating drugs such as MAO inhibitors and phenothiazines. Patients should also be warned against the ingestion of alcohol, since tolerance may be decreased and effects enhanced.

Since it has not been found of particular value in psychotic patients, chlordiazepoxide should not be used in place of appropriate treatment.

Periodic blood counts and liver function tests are recommended if the medication is administered over a protracted period of time.

Pregnancy and Lactation:
      Several studies have suggested an increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of diazepam, chlordiazepoxide and meprobamate during the first trimester of pregnancy. Therefore, the administration of chlordiazepoxide is rarely justified in women of childbearing potential. If the drug is prescribed for a woman of childbearing potential, she should be warned to contact her physician regarding discontinuation of the drug if she intends to become or suspects that she is pregnant. Use in lactation should be avoided.

Employ the usual precautions in treatment of anxiety states with evidence of impending depression; suicidal tendencies may be present and protective measures necessary.

Variable effects on blood coagulation have been reported very rarely in patients receiving the drug and oral anticoagulants; a causal relationship has not been established clinically.

Parenteral chlordiazepoxide should be administered with caution to patients in whom a drop in blood pressure might lead to cardiac complications.

Physical and psychological dependence:
      Physical and psychological dependence have rarely been reported in persons taking recommended doses of chlordiazepoxide. Withdrawal symptoms following abrupt discontinuation of chlordiazepoxide have been reported in patients receiving treatment over extended periods of time. These symptoms may resemble those seen with barbiturate withdrawal. The more severe withdrawal reactions have usually been limited to those patients having taken excessive doses over extended periods. Consequently abrupt discontinuation after long-term use should generally be avoided and a gradual tapering of dose followed.

Chlordiazepoxide must be administered with caution to addiction-prone individuals or to those whose history suggests possible abuse.

Adverse Effects
      Drowsiness, ataxia and confusion may occur, especially in the elderly and debilitated. These are reversible in most instances by proper dosage adjustment, but are also occasionally observed at the lower dosage ranges. In a few instances, syncope has been reported. Also encountered are isolated instances of skin eruptions, edema, minor menstrual irregularities, nausea and constipation, extrapyramidal symptoms, increased and decreased libido, all infrequent and generally controlled with dosage reduction; changes in EEG patterns (low voltage fast activity) may appear during and after treatment; blood dyscrasias (including leukopenia and rare cases of agranulocytosis), jaundice and hepatic dysfunction have been reported occasionally. Paradoxical reactions, such as excitement, stimulation, elevation of mood and rage, have been reported in psychotic patients and hyperactive aggressive children. These reactions may be secondary to the relief of anxiety symptoms and should be watched for particularly in the early phase of medication.

In clinical use, parenteral administration has occasionally produced mild, transitory fluctuations in blood pressure. These reactions have not presented a clinical problem and have not required supportive therapy. Following injection, some patients may become drowsy or unsteady. For these reasons, ambulatory patients should be kept under observation, preferably in bed, after treatment.

Overdose
      Symptoms:
      Drowsiness, ataxia, coma, confusion, diminished reflexes. Depression of the cardiovascular and respiratory centers may occur.

Treatment:
      Gastric lavage; or, in children, induce emesis and if there is no immediate response, use gastric lavage. Management consists of supportive measures, close supervision and monitoring. I.V. fluids should be administered if required and an adequate airway maintained. Cardiovascular and CNS stimulants may be used if necessary. Dialysis appears to be of limited value. There have been occasional reports of excitation in patients following chlordiazepoxide overdosage; if this occurs, barbiturates should not be used. As with the management of intentional overdosage with any drug, it should be borne in mind that multiple agents may have been ingested.
      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Chlordiazepoxide???

Hi,
        I took Chlordiazepoxide for a while when I was 16 and depressed. I sat my exams in a complete fug. I hated the way it made me feel so stopped. I remember drinking 2 glasses of wine about 2 weeks afterwards and was really ill from just the 2 glasses. So it may give you the incentive not to drink.
        Good Luck
        Suz
        Suz
        Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Working...
        X