Friday October 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday October 20

I thought I'd start today's thread with a little something I learned yesterday from my hypnotherapist.

He and I were talking about the last time I had a strong temptation to drink. He asked me to explain in detail how it occurred. I said that I was at work about 3 weeks ago, and the thought came to me that it would be nice to relax and unwind with some wine after work. He asked me to stop there.

That sentence has two parts.

1. It would be nice to relax and unwind... Is this true? Yes. It would be nice to relax and unwind indeed -- by taking a walk in the woods, by spending time with friends, by playing with my dog in the park (if I had a dog). OK.

2. ... with some wine
    after work. Is this true? Hmmm.. What is my experience with this? Every time for the past decade when I have tried to "relax and unwind" with alcohol of any type it has caused me profound grief. So, is this something that would be "nice?" And -- is it truly a way to "relax and unwind" when I know in the back of my brain that it is going to have the opposite effect in the long run? NO, NO, and manifestly NO.

So in the past when I have fallen for temptation, I have been duped. (That should have been obvious, but cut me some slack, my brain has been pickled.) The clever part of the trick is that part of the statement is true: It would be nice to (fill in the blank). But it goes on with the lie "using ALCOHOL," hoping we will fall for it, which I always did.

Alcohol insinuates itself into our lives in such a way that we think we cannot do anything without it. We think we can't relax, socialize, have sex, be creative, deal with stress, or any number of things without IT. Now that we have chosen the path of long-term sobriety, the challenge is to find ways to do these things without the evil little monster. And to recognize its evil little tricks. I was amazed when my therapist pointed this one out to me.

I'm curious -- what other subtle ways to you find alcohol trying to trick you? Or what ways did it try in the past? It is a clever beast, but we have to outsmart it.
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Friday October 20

mike:
    i am so glad u posted this morning.
    and i am also glad you visited your hypnotherapist. just reading ur post and absorbing ur message has made my morning. i wish you would post every morning!!

the "evil little beast" does play many tricks i couldnot agree with u more. i especially like the one when i drive by a liquor store and it says "need a hook up?" (like a hooker would signal you when you drive by)

i hope we all will continue to "outsmart" this clever beast.
    thanks for a great message , mike

Comment

Friday October 20

the lies

This where Allen Carr played an important part for me. He took each major lie and made me see the truth for what it was. When you read the book you realize you have been duped by alcohol---and all of the truths should have been glaring with all the experience I had. But before that I just could not see them. It wasn't a cure for me--I still drank--I just did it without lying to myself anymore. The only excuse I could come up with was--"I want to". Now I don't want to. I am experiencing the same thing with smoking right now. I read his smoking book and continued to smoke knowing all the lies had been busted, "But I want to." Now I am finding that when I smoke--it is becoming stronger that "I don't want to".

I was like a 3 year old child. I want it, I want it, I want it...stomping my foot until I got what I wanted. Now that child wants other things--like peace of mind, feeling good, being a good person, being productive. That 3 year old will always live inside of me--but changing what it wants and realizing how to get it has been the key.

Most of the time I just wanted to empty my head of all that was going on inside. Now I can do that with other things and the result is awesome.

I will always be vunerable to the lies it tells. But it is much harder for it to lie to me and have me react the way it wants me to. It is like a trusted friend that has continually lied to you--once you realize its a lie--its harder for that friend to continue lying.

I'm out of town for the rest of the weekend--everyone have fun at the party tonight!

Kim

Comment

Friday October 20

Awesome food for thought! I wish I could go see your hypnotherapist Mike. Really good and true stuff.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Friday October 20

My brain's most common trick: "It's not going to hurt to have just a few. I can always quit tomorrow." :no:

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Friday October 20

Yep, me too Tracy. It is that damn instant gratification thing we seem to have.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Working...
            X