Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad MAY...We moderate well thread

Good morning Modsters!!

A new day, a new month, always a new beginning.

Plan your goals for success and post them on the Ruby Tuesday thread and we'll discuss weekly how we're doing. This is our daily thread to talk about anything personal we want to share or our struggles with making this moderating thing work.

I'm going to shoot for an AF night. Rare on a Sat. night for me but we drank last night at a big pot luck party and we're invited to a wedding 4-7 tonight where the folks don't drink alcohol for religious reasons so no temptation there right?

So the plan is home afterwards with a movie and no AL! And no excuses to open a bottle of wine because it's Saturday night!! NOT going there.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

well i have had a disastrous week - changed from citalopram to prozac as i feel better on prozac - have been feeling very blue and copedby drinking every day(2-3 glasses of wine a night) and a big boozy night on saturday.

I'm not exercising and drinking too much,been feeling over sensitive, over concerned what others think of me and very unmotivated - am also hating being back at work after 2 weeks off.

still May is a new month- for today I'm not drinking and smoking.
    My plan is
    1. no alcohol in the week
    2. exercise 1 eve a week
    3. cycle to work twice a week

I play roller derby 3 times a week so that is exercise -I have been struggling with being in a big team/scared of being excluded - I feel like a teenager again!

I have been neglecting my weight watchers plan - I need to get back on track.
    one day at a time

Comment

Hi all - just very quickly dropping in. Eve has mentioned a number of times about keeping a journal to record drinking/not drinking thoughts and behaviours, and Sunbeam has mentioned the value of using posting here as a type of journal. So... my journal entry for today: I will not drink! It was a hugely stressful day today - I am a university student again, in my late 40s, in an entirely different field from the first time round. First day of a new term, I'm doing some computer science (I'm formerly an Arts student) and the whole thing is gibberish! The professor appears to be speaking English, but I'm not understanding any of it. Yikes!!!! What am I doing???? The default option is a glass of wine (or several). But I'm not drinking today because I set some real goals and I'm not going back to the Ruby Tuesday thread on Monday to say I messed up two weeks in a row.

So there, little voice in my head: :lalala: I'm not listening to you! Sorry if this is sort of rushed, but I have to leave right away - and I'm not drinking today!

Thanks everyone, and especially Eve for setting up the Ruby Tuesday thread!
      "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

CanadianGirl, Good for you! I hear the strong resolve! May our force be with you!
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi everyone: sorry I'm not posting here as much as I'd like but I've made my Ruby Tues commitments for this week and am pleased with my successful week last week, so am trying to get on a roll.

Bear: You've set yourself a lot of goals! I'm impressed with the rollerskating - and I too would like to get back to bicycling to work several times a week. My weight is up due to too much wine and not enough exercise, but I know I just have to take it day by day because if I try to "control" too many things I can get to feeling sorry for myself. Hope the med change works for you. . .

Candian Girl: I like your resolve . . . and the graphics (la la la la). I had an upsetting evening last week and "a voice" said I needed a glass of wine, but I told that voice that alcohol would NOT make this better and I was right. I try to remember how GREAT I feel after two AF days in a row and try to repeat that. I also do like my wine and if I stick to 2 and don't do two days in a row I feel fine with that too. Keep us updated on your progress.

Our dear dear French student left last Friday after a 3 week visit and I cried at the airport. It was wonderful to have her here: she and my daughter are very fond of each other and it was good to see my daughter be thoughtful and provide for her needs.

That being said it was quite hectic making sure the 2 girls on different school schedules got dropped of and picked up when they needed to AND that our student got enought food at regular intervals ( my daughter eats less often and less food) so more planning on my part. My daughter also acted up several times and got grounded which was a challenging dynamic with a visitor here.

An attempt to sort out the weeks events with my daughter last Friday nite turned disasterous, probably because we were both tired and emotionally spent. But it was not good and I'm glad to have a chance to talk it over with my counselor this week.

SO I'm off to bed . . . Thinking of all of you!
          Ask

Comment

Haha. Thanks Sunbeam and Ask - I'm quite sure the graphic was what did it!

Comment

Oh, and Ask, you bring back memories for me of dealing with a teenaged daughter. Yikes. Please remember that all you have to do is survive this, and then it will all get better. This will seem like a bad dream that you barely even remember. I promise.

Comment

Hey all - feeling much better and more in control this week - had real hassle at work with job share relationship and am planning a talk on Monday to clear the air.
                Lots of issues where I feel she is undermining me,presssuring me to work excessive hours as she has done(she is part time, I am full time), criticising my work in an indirect way,trying to dominate the job share relationship.

Most importantly I haven't smoked for 7 days, cold turkey!

I am back on track with healthy diet,eating at least 4 portions of fruit and veg a day - that in itself is making a huge difference I think. No takeaways or eating out this week - instead I am cooking a lovely roast at home on Sunday. I cycled to work once this week and I am doing a 7 mile charity walk today.

I'm back sticking to my calorie limit and I had 1 glass wine last night and that's all the booze I have had this week. I may allow myself 1 more glass tonight, but that's it.
                Happy happy happy!
                one day at a time

Comment

hey y'all
                  well, i have not been getting in enough AF days and next week i plan to try harder.
                  i haven't been drinking as much on the nights i drink, but still, i can see that everyday drinking creeping up behind me again, sooooo..... next week, i'm aiming to have 3 af days. I only had 1 this past week and only 2 the previous weeks before that.

i really like AF days. i'm not sure why it's so hard to have them. ugh.

Comment

Hi all - well, I couldn't resist drinking the last 2 drinks from a bottle of wine last night. This made me break my "special occasion" rule. I have a real problem when there is an open bottle. Last time, I dumped it out. This time I couldn't resist. I'm not too happy about it. I'm going to get back on track though!

Letgo I totally understand that "slipping back" feeling...I did this all a year ago and that happened to me after a few months of successful modding. It's so easy to slip back into the daily drinking if you did it for a long time (like I did).

Good luck to all!

Frances

Comment

So if we were having a contest this week BEAR would be the winner!! Good going on getting yourself back on track! I'm inspired by your exercise, eating, smoking AND moderating efforts. Good idea about the 4 fruits/veg / day. I LIKE fruit and vegetables and they do fill you up.

But it isn't a contest and we all get points for continuing efforts to improve. In fact I think sometimes the "getting back into control" is harder than feeling more in control and staying there - at least for me. Frances, like you I had many many months of doing so well, it's hard to accept that the desire to drink daily returns with such strength. I'm pleased have broken the daily routine, and many AF days are a breeze. But it seems the more I put my mind to it the harder "the other I" part of me fights back. I think it's time to do more subliminal tapes!

Letgo I hear determination and agree if AF has such positive rewards, why do I sometimes fight it? Keep on girl. I know you can do 3 AF days because I've done that for the past 3 weeks. Now I have to get to 4, which is best for me.

Best to everyone else reading or looking. I miss DeeBee and look forward to hearing from Eve again soon!

Ask

Comment

frances;855265 wrote: Hi all - well, I couldn't resist drinking the last 2 drinks from a bottle of wine last night. This made me break my "special occasion" rule. I have a real problem when there is an open bottle. Last time, I dumped it out. This time I couldn't resist.
                        Frances,

I'm the same and I've yet to figure that one out. It seems like that open bottle and the remnants of it keep calling to me - like things just don't feel right until that bottle is empty!!

I have worked on that and can say there have been plenty of times now that I cork that baby and put it in the fridge and leave it alone but because it's a weak area for me and a known trigger I really try not to go there.

So, for example - Sat. night and cooking at home. I would often ask hubby to share a bottle (2 1/2 each-workable) but so often he only wants one and sometimes none! So, the trick is - don't open it when he's not helping to drink it and DON'T finish if off if he only has one!! One thought is wine freezes and is good for cooking and plenty of recipes call for 5 oz or so of wine??!! I've yet to pour it down the sink - but that is a great thing to do if the craving is too great.

I've found the best trick of all to not drinking. STAYING BUSY!! I'm starting an online program for my masters (started yesterday). Found myself here so often, thinking, reading, researching books, etc. so I thought maybe I should do something more constructive with my time when I have a degree to boot for all of my hard work. So, I will definitely keep my commitment to my mod squad and lurkers here and will keep Ruby Tuesday running and post as often as I can - but if it seems I've dropped off a bit it's only because I'm studying away.

Hugs to all!
                        :l
                        Eve11
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I had an AF day yesterday and if felt so good I just don't know why I haven't done it more often, if not all the time. Hopefully I've broken the pattern. Tomorrow there is an event, I might have one glass of wine, but for the most part, my goal is AF. Just special occasions. I've been in that space before and crept back up to drinking every day, often too much, so I don't want to go there again.

Comment

I know what you mean about open bottles of wine! Too many times, I've finished those last couple of glasses, and then opened another one!

Comment

Eve - Congrats on your decision to start a master's program - that is awesome! Good luck!

It's funny you mention asking hubby to share and only open if he's in for half - my husband will often only drink one glass or none and that is definitely part of the problem. I try to plan to drink wine only when he's joining, but honestly his drink of choice is vodka and so he rarely will drink wine and if I waited until he'll join me I might never get to enjoy a glass of wine with a nice meal. And since I'm moderating, I don't want to have to give that up. So the trick is what to do with that extra wine. I had no idea it freezes and could be used later for cooking. That's a very good idea - I'm going to look into that. Otherwise, I find it starts to taste funny if you leave it for a few days and that's why I find myself in the dilemma. Waste it or drink it? They are starting to sell more varieties in the individual size (even in 1/2 bottle sizes) - maybe that's an option I should consider as well.

Someone else - yes, I had daily drinking creep back up on me in the past as well but at that point I did not have 'special occasion' as my rule - I was just trying to limit my drinking but I allowed myself to drink anytime. So I'm trying the 'special occasion' rule to see if maybe I'll have more success with this approach. I hope it works! I've slipped as you see but I'm not going to let that stop me.

Comment

Working...
                              X