Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday, Oct 25

Good Morning

Boy, Absville is a very nice place to be.

I logged on this morning, and was disappointed Mike hadn't posted something profound.
    I'll check back later for your thoughtful post Mike.

After reading Kel's post yesterday, I wondered, what do I say at social events to decline a drink?
    I never want to admit to my problem with drinking, at least not now.

Dilayne, I'll call you Lady Di, if that's okay with you .

Have a great day you all.

:new:
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Wednesday, Oct 25

Hi Mona,

Love the cat thing. As I type, I've got one cat on my lap and another with his leg stretched over mine.
    Yes, I'm a cat person. Just not a rabid one.

On the explanation thing. I can talk heaps about this. I've been dodging this for a year and I still don't know the perfect solution. Brigid and I have chatted often (especially in the beginning) about what we'd tell friends- I'm on a diet, I'm on antibiotics (oh my god, that was a big one!) and so forth. Whatever gets you through the tough spots. For heaven's sake, use excuses. When you are just making it from day to day, it is all about you and making yourself healthy. After a while, you don't care if anyone else is drinking and usually they are drinking and don't know what the hell you're doing.
    I've decided after my year anniversary of abs, that I might use my father-in-law's explanation of when he stopped drinking (after 20 years of being a hard drinking Marine) that:
    "Everything bad in my life was happening because of alcohol, so I decided to get rid of it."
    He and my husband's mom have been married for 50 years, so their marriage survived and my husband is well adjusted (almost too much!!!!)
    Whatever it takes to make you the whole person you need to be.

Take care,
    Kel

Comment

Wednesday, Oct 25

Hey this is a great topic!

Oftentimes, I think no explanation is even required. The only person making a big deal about it is me, in my head. Others aren't obsessing about whether I drink or not! Somehow I manage to make it "all about me." And I always make it all about alcohol, that's for sure. But anyway, here are a few thoughts.

-- I'm the designated driver. (This way I'm off the hook AND I'm socially responsible.)
      -- I'm doing a 30 day detox of my system. (If you use this, you have to be very careful what you eat at the gathering, to make it look real.)
      -- I have an early day tomorrow, or some similar excuse.

Once you are at the point where you're comfortable letting people know you've quit drinking altogether, here's one I really like:

-- No thanks, I've had enough. (This really confuses people for a minute. But think about it -- isn't it the truth?)

Have a great day, all.

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Wednesday, Oct 25

i LOVE the last one mike!

Comment

Wednesday, Oct 25

I like the last one too, that's funny. i have a business trip coming up next week and the usual suspects will be there and we have social events each night. However, I'm feeling confident that I will not drink and it's because of all of you. It's a bit odd but just knowing you all share the same struggles gives me a boost!!
          Thanks for being brave, honest and sharing.
          spacie

Comment

Working...
          X