Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topomax and Exercise

Hi all..

I used this program with great success. I quit drinking all together. Until last summer. I'm an avit Mountain Biker. I race and do okay. Well, last summer, when the heat started, I noticed that I would ride and overheat!! I also noticed that I had completely stopped sweating! STRANGE!! You can't imagine how that affects mountain biking. I couldn't keep up with beginning riders in heat above 70 degrees!

I did a lot of internet research about not sweating and it lead right back to, you guessed it, TOPOMAX! That's one of the more serious side effects of it. So anyway, I weened myself off of it. And the cravings came back. And I started drinking again, as much as before. That doesn't help my biking much either. Now that summer is over, I'm starting the program again, and using topomax and not drinking (nearly as much), but there has to be some alternative..

Has anyone else experienced this?

Topomax and Exercise

I haven't experienced it but I have read that it is one of the side effects. Was it dose related how much were you on??Maybe it wouldn't happen as much at a lower dose and still give some decrease in cravings,just a thought...Mary

Comment

Topomax and Exercise

Actually, Mary, after stopping Topomax use, sweating never returned to where it was, so I think I just have to accept that I'm a cool weather MTB'er ;-) Anyway, that being said, I think I'm going to resume topomax and get back with the program. Are there alternative drugs without that side effect?

Comment

Topomax and Exercise

Uhggg.....I am so concerned about this. I am nearly 5 months AF, taking topamax, which I believe to be key to my success. I love to workout and am a sweater. I mean like a dog. Something I like when I workout but not necessarly during other times like just hot weather or even only spicy food. Topamax has decreased to stopped my sweating. And even made me over sensitive to cold....I think. Anyway....my biggest concern is stopping topamax and having alcohol cravings return and get worse like you have described.
        Who else has this happened to?
        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Topomax and Exercise

This sounds like very dangerous side effect guys. As I am sure you already know sweating is the body's way of cooling off and if we overexert ourselves and do not sweat it can be fatal. Not trying to be melodramatic but sweating is a good thing. Yikes!!! Please be careful.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Topomax and Exercise

Topamax & Exercise

This is my first post and to tell you the truth, all these side effects are starting to scare me! I'm going to Dr. tomorrow to get a prescription, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm a massage therapist and work outside in the heat. I'm afraid if I don't sweat, that I'll pass out or somthing.

Have any of you tried using the Kudzu root and upping your use of L-Glutamine. The Kudzu root seems to help a bit, and I think I may add another 1000mg of L-Glut in the afternoon. I've also read that you should cut out sugar. Has any of this helped any of you?

I'm on my 5th day of ABs, and the big test is always on the last night of my work week. I have full support of my husband and daughter, and don't want to disappoint them or myself.

I'm actually starting to sleep better, with last night, the best night yet. Taking Calms Forte, but last one about 4:00pm. It seems to give me a dry mouth, and I was waking up at 1:00am and couldn't get back to sleep. Maybe that was from withdrawals.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts. I'm always up for the natural method of healing!

Mauigirl:new:

Comment

Topomax and Exercise

hope the no sweatin' thing doesn't affect me. although, i am sure the person next to me on the treadmill won't miss the smell of beer coming out of my pores :H but i am still waiting for the prescription, so we will see.

Comment

Topomax and Exercise

Hey there. No sweating? Yikes! Have you looked into Campral? I believe it's very effective at controling cravings, but only if you practice complete abstinence, but it's certainly worth considering, no? There's an article somewhere on this site about it......... I just placed my order for herbs and hypno cds and am about to fill my first prescription for Topamax. I was nervous before, but now I'm SUPER nervous. Maybe I'll opt for Campral, too! Well I wish you (and me!) luck!

Comment

Working...
                X