Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Oct. 27

Good morning Absville!

Yesterday's post were fantastic. You had me swimming in the ocean as a fish and dreaming of clouds shaped like all kinds of things! I really don't want to grow up!

I promised you a prize for the best "wonder" thing. This is so hard as I really could go with each of you to your "wonder" place!

I think the prize goes to.................XTexan for his fish tales! The prize is.....a month long fishing trip to the destination of his choice...everything paid for and he can take anyone he chooses with him! < <
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Friday Oct. 27

wolves

I would say when we become aware that one of the Evil Wolf's charactistics emerge--replace it with one of the Good Wolf's. Lately, when I feel anger starting to rise--I practice compassion. It amazing how good it feels. But the Evil Wolf still likes to think that some of the people I get angry with--would much rather have me angry--than to show them compassion in my heart. So in the end I have doubly pissed them off--and I am at peace.

Kim

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Good Morning Nancy,
      Thank you again for a great topic. I love that story. What I'm learning to do with the wolf these days is first to be conscious of it. The wolf would be considered my shadow in jungian terms. In order to become fully whole, we must learn to own our shadow..it is only when you denie and repress the shadow side that it will manifest as the wolf...as in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...once I can acknowledge that the wolf is present, then I can make the choice...I could ask the wolf what it needs, or maybe, since the wolf is a dog, I may have to let it know that I'm the alpha leader here...this very consciousness may very well make the necessary shift. In the past, and probably still now, I will make the mistake of trying to override the wolf with 'good behavior'..this doesn't work in the long run because I repress all that the wolf stands for..it just goes underground and festers unconsciously...I've gotten a little tired of always being the 'good girl'..I'm human and that means that I'll always have a little wolf in me. I read in one of Robert Johnson's books (whom I've learned so much from) that one way to keep the wolf (shadow) at bay is to recognize when you might be out of balance...for example, if I spend 3 days taking care of everybody else's needs and have been playing superwoman, you can bet the wolf is going to come up to balance the scale..knowing this I might have to go out and blow off some steam..it might be having some girl talk and venting, it might be watching a terribly raunchy movie that I wouldn't ever admit watching (and enjoying)..the trick for me is to find reasonable and healthy ways of doing it. I think my drinking came back on me because I spend 15 years being the 'good girl' for everybody..the pendulum swang too far in the wrong direction...I can also do it in my art..even there I was trying to do paintings that would please people and might sell...instead of the deeper darker things that my soul really needed to express...that is where I am. Thanks for being here everyone, I'm getting so much from these post!

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Oh Nancy.....I love it!!!!! printing it for the fridge and the kids. I wish I had more time. Where the heck is everyone? You guys....I'm so blasted and I havent even started yet.
        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Nancy:

Alright! I choose to go back in time 500 years, and fly-fish the Little Pigeon river right here in Tennessee. Back to the time when it was still a natural and primitive area, and it was not "fished"out. As my companion, I would like to bring little Neil, when he was 6 or 7 years old. I would teach him the really important things in life.

You know that area would have some of my ancestors doing the same thing. I am partly of Cherokee descent, from my mothers side. Maybe they would be freaked out, a 21st century dude, with modern fishing gear, messing up their 1506 spot.

Oh well, I can imagine at least.

As for the wolves thing, you know you can feed the good wolf, by what things you read, watch, listen to. So much negative in the media today. It's takes definite effort, to screen out the negative, and put in the positive. As Forrest Gump says, "That's all I have to say about that."

Be well.

Neil

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Hi Neil, I lived in Tennessee when I was young...in Pulaski. My Dad lived in Memphis..I think I remember the Pigeon River..I love Tennessess!

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

I LOVE IT!!

Kim..they're DOUBLE pi____ off and you are at peace!
              I think they call that "heaping coals of fire on your enemy's head"! Rom. 12:20

Di..........I've always wanted to be a "good girl" too. Problem is it is not possible to be good "enough".. Hummmmm......I like the idea of balance and taking time to take care of yourself. Girl time and venting is a pressure valve for me. We do need to be careful in choosing our friends! Learned that the hard way!

Gabby............Where have YOU been? We have missed your smiling face around here!
              My fridge is covered too!

Neil...your fishing spot is beautiful! I think its a great idea to go there and be able to "be in the past"! We're running out of serene places like that.
              I agree with "what we feed the wolf". There is a saying about our brains. "Garbage in - garbage out". I can't watch much tv either.

See you later.
              Is there a new mayor in the wings?? Anyone?
              We miss you all who are not here...you know who you are!

Nancy:l

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a few days off from work to spend time with a friend the next few days, and I must say, it's a much-needed break. Anyway, if my posts are short or missing, that's why...

I also love the story of the two wolves. I've certainly found it to be true in myself.

Whenever I allow myself to daydream about the "benefits" of alcohol, or the "pleasures" of moderate drinking, I am feeding the evil wolf. Also on that list are: envying social drinkers, allowing myself to get filled with resentments, getting twisted up inside over anything, allowing self-pity to come into the picture.

I feed the good wolf when I pay attention to my spiritual needs. This can be formal (I literally feel energized by holy communion every week) or informal (quiet time spent reading, praying, or just sitting). I also feed the good wolf when I do anything that is positive for my body: eating well, resting, getting exercise. And I feed the good wolf when I do anything good for myself psychologically: adopting or reinforcing beliefs that are positive -- such as "I CAN LIVE A FULL AND ENJOYABLE LIFE WITHOUT ALCOHOL," OR "I CAN SOCIALIZE AND MAKE FRIENDS WITHOUT THE CRUTCH OF ALCOHOL; I DON'T EVEN MISS IT." Currently I am working on this aspect of my recovery through hypnotherapy.

Great topic Nancy!

Yes -- and we are in need of a new mayor aren't we? Who wants to give it a go?

Mike
                "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Nancy - I like the topic too. Guess I have been incommudicado lately...lots going on internally and externally with me.
                  Anyway - on your topic..I think of 'feeding the angry wolf' as the internal dialogue we all have running thru our heads on a daily basis. If we believe the negative lines we 'feed' ourselves eventually we start to believe it. The power of negative thinking I suppose.
                  It takes practice changing those bad/negative/destructive thoughts.
                  I'm having some personal trials right now and not feeling very happy with myself - my normal reaction would be to not treat myself well - i.e. drink, eat, laze around and do nothing but be depressed. I'm trying something different this time.
                  I have decided to take care of myself in spite of myself. I have worked out the last two days and have bought good things for me to eat - not ordering pizza or chinese.
                  I have decided that although I am not finding any joy in doing these good things for myself right now - I will.

The more down I get the more I have to treat myself well. These new rules I've made for myself are hard though.
                  Thanks Nancy -

Lisa

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Hi All,

I lost a post into cyberspace this morning and then had to run off to work, so I'm posting now.

I don't believe in feeding emotions like anger, envy, etc., but I sure do believe in acknowledging them and using them. Appropriate anger, in particular, lets us know when we are being disrepsected or mistreated and signals us to make changes or stand up for ourselves. It's when we ignore it or let it fester that we can get into trouble. I guess that doing what I do, I value ALL of our feelings and at least want to let them see the light of day before picking and choosing which ones are the ones I want to give voice to or take action upon.

But yes, in the general spirit of things, I do believe it is better to stay with positive feelings. Despite all of my psychological theories and beliefs, plain old positive thinking helps me have a brighter day!

I'm feeling good about the fact that not drinking is starting to feel more "normal" to me now. I notice that I am not having as many cravings, so I feel that some of the "habit" parts are not as strong for me. I'm not getting cocky or thinking that they are gone for good. It just doesn't seem like drinking is on my mind as much as before. :yay: That feels mighty nice.

We do need a new mayor! I know that for myself, I'll be busy for at least the next few weeks helping my sister really get settled in. I'm still feeling a lot of major tiredness too.

Hope someone will step in!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Hiya Gang,
                      I just wanted to pop in briefly to say THANKYOU for Monday....I was really down in the dumps..I havnt got any older siblings but on Monday when someone made a remark about slipping...I felt like i had loads...Big sisters... and brother(Mike )..It gave me a lump in the throat really...It cheered me up so much:l

Hopefully i've got my head screwed on right this time...I've had quite a few heart to heart talks with Lisa...And we got a new game plan...And i got a new game face.

Right i'm off to bed...Its 3-30am here...just not been able to sleep...Bloody worrying ...AGAIN.

NaNight all...Missed you all like Mad.....Macks:l
                      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Yay, Macks!

I can't tell you how happy I am to see your madly dancing devilish dervish, baby brother!!! We've got your back, Macks!!

I'm glad that you and Lisa have a new game plan! Sounds like it's been a productive week for you two!

Love,

Kathy:l :l
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday Oct. 27

Macks!!!!!!!!! Our little brother! We did get quite protective, didn't we? Our moto here is :" Mess with one of us, mess with us all"
                          I'm happy to hear that you and Lisa have things headed in the right direction! Welcome back!

Kathy.....I think appropriate anger is very appropriate!
                          (see above)
                          Glad that you are starting to feel "normal".

Lisa....we've missed you! I'm sorry that you have been having so many trials. Set your face like flint and keep taking care you yourself. As Neil(xtex) would say " take care of your inner child....little Lisa"!

Looks like I'm still on as mayor for tomorrow! Don't know how inspiring I can be in the long run!!

I once had a friend that had a saying......"I can stand it if you can stand it".:H

Nancy & Belle

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZSYYYYYYJGUS

Comment

Working...
                          X