PDA

View Full Version : running instead of drinking

nomore
June 21st, 2010, 07:54 AM
hi everyone,i have always been a bit of a runner(when not drinking)so when i decided to quit drinking 2 mths ago i began to train for a half marathon,gradually i began to increase my mileage and the weight began to start coming off,everything was going great i was doing 8 klms before work every second day then 12 klms on weekends feeling great.i was totally focused on the upcoming event on the goldcoast then 3 weeks before the event i pulled a muscle in my thigh,told by doc not to run for a month,it has devestated me,but not enough to start drinking again as i know that when my thigh heals up i shall slowly get back to where i left off,hopefully it wont flair up again.are there any runners out there who have experienced bursitis of the thigh?if you have could u please tell me more about it.thankyou.stay focused people!!!!!

Cinders
June 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
nomore,

Wow, good on you for taking up the running!! Exercise is key to helping stay sober. Endorphins and all that.

Bummer on the bursitis. I have never had it so I can't be much help there.

But, as a long long ago runner, I can tell you that not picking up that first drink and then the subsequent many that will follow ensures you can get back in shape quickly.

If you drink, kiss that good-bye!!

There will be more marathons and you will want your chance to run those.

Hope you heal quickly!!

Cindi

Cinders
June 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
I just Googled it and was wondering if your doctor prescribed any physio and anti-inflammatories?

Cindi

nomore
June 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
impatient to run

hi cinders thankyou for your reply and encouragement,iam on anti inflammatries but he didnt say about physio i shall enquire into it.yes there will be other events and i will get over this little hurdle.staying sober keeps me focused on my goal.:thanks:

Popeye
August 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hi no more and Cinders
I recently decided to take up running and it's great.
I'm lucky enough not to have weight issues but I'm keen to see what my limits are and get as fit as I can in the process.
I'm 48 and is reasonable shape and I've just started running and I can run 5k without stopping (just). There are plenty of websites out there that help a lot with targets and future aims (something that I have found since quitting the booze is that there is indeed a future worth living for;)) I'm finding the feeling of being out of breath again and the endorphine rush quite exhilarating after such a long time depending on my work to stay fit. I thought that I might get bored running on my own but I think I prefer it. I can't join any club due to my shifts at work so that's out but I will keep this up and I'll be out rain or shine 3/4 times a week just now and would be interested to hear from any other runners with something to share.
Thanks for reading

paguy
August 13th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Hi nomore, cinders, and popeye:

I took up running about 2 years ago (when I was 54) as part of a 'let's get in shape' program. I was never athletic but always very trim until I reached my 40's and then I managed to put on the extra pounds until I was 35 pounds overweight!

So, I worked with a personal trainer and really focused on better nutrition and exercise and took off the weight which I have been able to maintain. As a result, running has become one of my passions and I use it to stay in shape and maintain a positive healthy attitude.

I do most of my running at the gym on a treadmill except for the races that I run. Over the last 2 years, I've completed 2 half-marathons, 2 10-mile races, 1 10-K race and 8 5-K races. My goal is to run a full marathon within the next year.

When I am training, I generally run between 35 - 40 miles a week.

Unfortunately, right now I am sidelined as a result of a non-running injury to my foot which required surgery but I hope to start running (gradually) again within the next 2 weeks.

Here is a website that you can use to create and account and log your running journals. I find that it is a helpful tool and helps keeps me motivated:

RunningAHEAD - The FREE online running log for all your training data (http://www.runningahead.com)

Happy trails, guys!

Pride before Fall
August 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the link, PA! Glad your foot's mending. Keep a grip on those knives!

Nomore, after surviving a spring triathlon in July, I signed up for 5Ks to keep me motivated. I've lost 14 lbs since April (okay, not having the minimum of 4 drinks per night to the maximum of 12--or thereabouts--probably had someting to do with this :cool:). Right after I started running in March, I came down with a pinched nerve root that caused numbness and pain in my left arm. I was sent to physical therapy and couldn't do any high-impact exercise for 6 weeks. Very frustrating, but it passed, and so will your thigh injury! Don't do what I did and try and run through it though, I ended up making it worse.

Running for me is a kind of Forrest Gump thing--it helps me work through pain, in a good way. And there's something meditative about it, once your breathing hits a rhythm and you're in a groove. Love that, and the company of other runners here.

Pride

Pride before Fall
August 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
A newsbrief in my work inbox this a.m. about exercise reducing relapse:

Aerobic Exercise Attenuates Reinstatement of Cocaine-Seeking Behavior and Associated Neuroadaptations in the Prefrontal Cortex

Biological Psychiatry, 08/13/2010 Lynch WJ et al. ? Aerobic exercise may reduce relapse vulnerability by preventing the increase in cocaine?seeking and associated neuroadaptations in the prefrontal cortex that develop over an abstinence period.

Popeye
August 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks John, and Pride...Love your signature. Made me laugh.

OverIt2007
August 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hi Everyone!

In the past few years or so, I can honestly say I have grown to love my running time. Although I am no pro or anything, and have to powerwalk then run at times.

I used to hate running with a passion, ICK!! But its amazing how your mind can change about things, I have grown to LOVE it! I look forward to it now.

One thing I have learned to do, is just simply DO IT. I do not even think about it anymore, I throw myself outside with my doggie and my Ipod and GO GO GO.

Happy running everyone! :)

Wonka
August 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Everyone!!

Each time I quit smoking I trained for a marathon---I did 3. Now I am nicotine free and can't even imagen smoking again. Now that I am wine-free I am training without a headache or hang-over. ...and looking forward to a time when I can't imagen drinking any more!!

Because of injuries, I took the summer off of my triatholon training--and am slowly bringing up my running milage. But what I am really looking forward to is swimming again. That doesn't start until Oct.

I suggest to all who have running injuries to first of all---stretch before and after running....don't underestimate its importance. Plus, if you run outdoors, it is a good idea not to run on pavement...bad for your joints. It is much better to run on a path or dirt road (if you are lucky enough to live near one) Also, for those of you who have to take time off your running feet...try swimming!! It really is a great workout, and there is no impact and very little injury associated.

As I feel like a drink, I put on my shoes and run....both get better with practice!!...and I am going for a run now!!

Wonka

mojo73
August 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Better runner for being AF?

:new:Hello fellow runners. . Only on Day 2 and just about to head off in my stinky trainers to get me through particularly bad time of day for cravings. Signed up to run half marathon soon. Hoping being AF will help me do better than last years hungover effort. Sadly my poor ipod is half working. Maybe I should treat myself to new one with money saved. Anyone feel like a better runner for being AF?

crazyforwine
August 31st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi, all,

For me, running is a lifesaver. Somehow it lifts my mood and makes me feel more integrated, which is hard to explain. As I get older (53), it's getting harder and harder, but I'm still slogging along at about 3.5 miles nearly every day. Everything hurts, but it's worth it!

CFW

Running4life
February 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have been running for about 12 years now and the last 8 very consistantly. I have completed many Half Marathons and 10 km races. Running pulled me out of depression and keeps me sane. I hate it when a hangover interferes with my runs.
Lately I have started snowshoeing. It is great excercise and lots of fun too.

Bean
February 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Happy to hear of other runners. I have just taken it up again (after about 10 years 'off'!). One of my goals for this year is to run a half marathon for the first time. I am aiming for one in late May. I started the year highly motivated and then got clobbered by a really horrible cold a couple of weeks ago. I am just getting back into training this week.
Would love to have/give support and encouragement to others on here with a fitness goal.

Keep going everyone!!
Bean

Sunnyvalenting
February 10th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I am a 58 year old woman and have been on a exercise/ weight loss plan the past 8 months. I started jogging short distances on the treadmill a few months ago. I am now up to being able to run a mile slowly followed by walk/runs. I feel very well. I always start running and think that I cannot possibly do it but then I go for awhile and it seems doable. I am trying to listen to my bones and pace myself. I only jog every other day. I don't seem to hurt. I want to run a 10 minute mile on my 59th birthday next month. I am pretty sure I will make it. I may never run a marathon but I am making progress. How different is it to run on hard ground vs the treadmill which has "give"? Can someone of my age actually start running? Is it wise? Can I be hurting my joints and not knowing it? I have lost 56 pounds so far and have 5 pounds to go. thanks for any suggestions.
sunny

KundaliniGirl
March 11th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Sun, not sure you'll make it back to this thread. I just posted about running on another thread in this section. I'm 58 and run 3 miles a day, about 4-5 times a week. Mine is a super slow jog (I call a slog for slow jog). It helps me control my weight, and I'm definitely hooked on it (have been doing it since I was 29). I don't have any physical problems from it, but then I've been doing it a long time - not sure how it would impact someone just starting out. Well, good for you if you can do a 10 minute mile - I'm slower than that. But, I'm consistent.....lol.

BTW, I like running outside so much more than on a treadmill. I think it's much better exercise. But, I live in a warm climate and can get out easily. Plus, I live outside the city so I don't have to contend with many cars. And, I would have to say that running on a treadmill is better than not running. You can Google it and find out more - there have been studies done comparing the two.

Good luck.

Sunnyvalenting
March 21st, 2011, 12:38 AM
KG,
Belated thanks for your response. I made steady progress and was even able to do more than a mile until I got pneumonia a few weeks ago. I am better now and slowly getting up to my mile again. I only have 6 days until my birthday but I still will see just what I can do.
Antibiotics really helped me! My friend suffered w it for a month or more. After 5 days I got on the Rx and was better within 3 days. I am glad we have drugs for the "walking (Running!?" pneumonia now as well as for the alcohol dependency. I agree that the running helps with the weight.
S

Sunnyvalenting
March 26th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Just wanted to post that today I did reach my goal of running a mile in 10 minutes. I felt great. I plan to slowly increase to 2 miles a few times per week if I can. I have so far lost 63 pounds since last June. Exercise and diet both. It is the consistency that made it possible and the consistency came from the success I had with abstinence. I owe a lot of this to Baclofen. I can finally set goals and reach them.
All the best
Sunny

gyco
March 26th, 2011, 05:43 AM
everlasting memories

nomore;891795 wrote: hi everyone,i have always been a bit of a runner(when not drinking)so when i decided to quit drinking 2 mths ago i began to train for a half marathon,gradually i began to increase my mileage and the weight began to start coming off,everything was going great i was doing 8 klms before work every second day then 12 klms on weekends feeling great.i was totally focused on the upcoming event on the goldcoast then 3 weeks before the event i pulled a muscle in my thigh,told by doc not to run for a month,it has devestated me,but not enough to start drinking again as i know that when my thigh heals up i shall slowly get back to where i left off,hopefully it wont flair up again.are there any runners out there who have experienced bursitis of the thigh?if you have could u please tell me more about it.thankyou.stay focused people!!!!!good morning and another interesting thread,i was a runner at one time,started in 1988,weighed 185 lbs,started training for my 1st marathon,in 1989, i lost 30lbs in a bit over a month,i also dieted,or ate properly,i to got into amasing shape,over 10 years i completed 12 marathons,12 10 mile road races several 10ks and numeous 5ks, not counting the 300 and some odd miles i put in to train b4 a marathon, i clocked 1000 s of miles,i also have a walking job,where i walked up to 14 miles a day or more,,see the pattern,it was much llike my drinking,excessive,i guess what i m saying is listen to your body,give it rest,i guess it s a lot like not drinking forever or learnin g how to moderate,congratulations on your new passion,gyco

mumofsix
May 3rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
Yip my first marathon is done and dusted - loved it!! Now off to do the Gold Coast Marathon in July but have the Huntly Half marathon before then, also the Taupo half in August and then New York! I love running and have only been running for 3 years. Have done several 10k races, 5 half marathons to get to my first that I did on Saturday. I ran the whole thing too.

Guitarista
September 10th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Good contributions Carlton and Alton. The light hearted banter between you 2 exercise nuts has an almost slapstick quality to it. :)

Another runner here. Been running for years. I always return from a run feeling better than i did when i set out. Great mood lifter and distractor. And very meditative when you find the groove.

RunningCourage
September 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
:new: (well, to this thread)

6 days AF... and 8 days before my first Marathon.

I've been running for around 9 months which has included 2 half-marathons. It is addictive, and as Guitarista says, a damn good moodlifter. What baffles me, is how much (and at times how fast) i ran when hungover! (Aided by paracetamol, coffee and banana's tho). Sometimes the body simply amazes me at what it is prepared to endure...

Running4life
September 24th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hi:
I took up running over 10 years ago. I have done at least 18 half marathons and many, many 10 km races. I find running keeps me sane. Nomore, could it be that you increased your mileage too quickly?
I belong to a run club and training for a half marathon should take 16 weeks starting with two to three tempo runs of 4-6 kms a week and then one long slow run usually on weekends starting with 7 kms and increasing by 10% each week. In the last couple of weeks we do a taper.
At about 4 weeks in we start to add hills as well.
I hope you heal fast and can get back to running and building up your endurance and distance again soon. I suffer from a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot, it is nerve pain. I am always trying new treatments to fix it.
I know if I drink the night before a run I will either feel miserable or miss it completely. I love running more than drinking and I am grateful that the running is keeping me (for the most part) sober.
Good luck with the injury!
R4L

Running4life
September 24th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Opps, I see that I answered an old post by Nomore. RunningCourage, I ran hungover more times than enough. It is so wonderful to get up without a headache, put on my shoes and head out to meet my running buddies for some fresh air and exercise.
Happy runs to you all!
R4L

Hippyman
January 15th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Malton;1444217 wrote: Well!!I am agree with your reviews that running is the best instead of the drinking.
Because running has own importance and give good shape of the body.According
to me that running is the best for weight loss of the body.....
I've started doing 20 mins. a day on the treadmil. It's a start!

Siren136
January 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Hippyman;1444218 wrote: I've started doing 20 mins. a day on the treadmil. It's a start!
That's awesome! I love running. But be careful doing ANY exercise every day. Your body needs to rest. You will see greater gains in your running if you do it every other day and another activity, such as weight training, on the off day. Give yourself a full day of rest each week for your body to recuperate. I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I read extensively about maximizing performance.

When I started doing triathlons 3 years ago running was all I really knew how to do. I had bronchitis around Easter last year and it went to pneumonia, so I was out of commission for 2 full months. Then when I started to train I went too hard and tore my Achilles tendon. There was another 3 months of downtime. So I am really starting from scratch now. You are ahead of me - I better catch up quick!

Guitarista
January 19th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Siren136;1446537 wrote: That's awesome! I love running. But be careful doing ANY exercise every day. Your body needs to rest. You will see greater gains in your running if you do it every other day and another activity, such as weight training, on the off day. Give yourself a full day of rest each week for your body to recuperate. I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I read extensively about maximizing performance.

When I started doing triathlons 3 years ago running was all I really knew how to do. I had bronchitis around Easter last year and it went to pneumonia, so I was out of commission for 2 full months. Then when I started to train I went too hard and tore my Achilles tendon. There was another 3 months of downtime. So I am really starting from scratch now. You are ahead of me - I better catch up quick!
Glad you're back in the race Siren!

Yep, rest is as important as the training/exercise.

Break a leg! ;)

Guitarista
January 28th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Hi y'all,

A beautiful long slow run on the beach today. I just kept running and running, enjoying the sunshine and the crashing of the waves, without a care in the world. It's like a meditation for me when i'm in the groove. Haven't done a long run for many weeks, and i probably went further than i should've, but not excessive, and it was so much fun, and so peaceful and energising. Only another runner would understand. :)

I was also inspired by some chat today between Anon and Running courage on the Army thread. They were talking marathons and running event dates and it just fired me up a little. Thanks guys!

Break a leg.

G bloke.

CanToo
January 28th, 2013, 01:56 PM
In stead of drinking on Saturday night I joined a group and went for a night ski under the full moon.

CT

RunningCourage
January 28th, 2013, 01:56 PM
AWESOME!

Guitarista
January 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM
CanToo;1452343 wrote: In stead of drinking on Saturday night I joined a group and went for a night ski under the full moon.

CT
How cool is that CT!

Awesome is the word RC!

Jagman
March 9th, 2013, 04:47 AM
celebrate

Did a 10 mile run on Thursday to celebrate 10 days AF. Edinburgh half in 5 weeks time.
it helps me anyway,

cheers

Guitarista
May 2nd, 2013, 03:22 AM
Jagman;1475001 wrote: Did a 10 mile run on Thursday to celebrate 10 days AF. Edinburgh half in 5 weeks time.
it helps me anyway,

cheers
Just saw this. Great stuff Jagman.

Did you run the half?

I ran for a good hour and a bit today along the beach. I just kept running in the gentle autumn sun. Probably around 10k's ish. Then threw myself into the freezing bay for an enlivening dip. Did some stretching, and had a slow stroll home.

Just had a hot shower and I feel a million bucks. Relaxed. I defy most people to feel anxious and/or depressed after a run or workout that takes almost everything you've got. The feeling is always bliss (with a couple of niggles and aches sometimes).

May all bee's be well and happy.

G bloke.

tawnyfrog
May 6th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Sorry Dasim22 - I am an athlete but have nothing to discuss. Perhaps you should talk with Ron01? He sells rainfall gauges AND glow sticks I believe. I wish you well with your 3/4 periods per week. Must be so debilitating.

Guitarista
May 27th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for bumping the thread Abe.

I'm looking for a 10k race here. There are a few coming up, so just gotta pick one a couple of months out. Better get cracking. Abe, if you're flogging any pedometers, pm me ok?

I love running. One foot in front of the other.

gofig07
June 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I have been running off and on for 25 years, I am 52. My max runs were 12 miles hills but now I am more moderate in my running, which suffered greatly this year to the fact I went from a light drinker....to moderately heavy ! :-( So last week I got my head screwed back on and put on the runner shoes and have worked up to 6 miles (with hills) in the last week. Today I am sore...and have very little desire of A ! running does help me with my cravings !