starting abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting abs

hi everyone, have been trying to get a handle on my drinking for some time now but one of my biggest questions was do i want abs or mods and i really could not quite make up my mind but have come to the realisation that mods is an absolute no go for me as soon as i have one drink i just know that i will have another and then another and before i know it the whole bottle (vodka)has gone ,i would really love to go a whole month without alcohol the longest i have went has been 10 days and it would be great to go even longer so with all your help and support here in absville i am quite sure i can improve, so as of the 1st nov i am really going to give it my best shot :thanks: maryt

starting abs

Hey Maryt,
    Way to go, November 1st we'll be here waiting with open arms. You're going to feel much better and it's so rewarding to gain back control over your life. Take care and hope to catch you around the boards.

spacie

Comment

starting abs

HI Maryt! Congratulations on your decision! Are you incorporating the MWO program fully? Supps, CDs, reading the book, exercise..are you doing the topamax? I think the first few days is the hardest, but once you start feeling good, that can be such a motivator! Keep coming back! We'll be here!
      Dianne

Comment

starting abs

Welcome

Welcome, Mary,

I think you'll find a lot of support here! Abs does get easier with time, it's true. It takes time to begin building new habits, but it can be done. When I started MWO, I never thought I could be so comfortable living without booze. It's taken a while to get there, and I wouldn't have been able to do with without my friends here in Absville.

We'll support you through thick and thin, so hop on board the Abs Wagon!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

starting abs

a big massive thanks to you all it is a big comfort to know that there is such a wide support from you all, know it will not be easy but i am convinced i can do it there may be some hic ups along the way but eventually i will get there have a lovely day and hear from you soon maryt

Comment

starting abs

Hi Mary,

Just wanted to say hello and welcome. We seem to have at least a couple of things in common.

Vodka was my drink of choice, at least at the end. I, too, seemed doomed to drink until the bottle was done.

For the longest time I still tried to convince myself that I could do moderation. And believe me, I tried! (Even with topamax.) But I found I could not. It sounds as if you've already reached this decision, and if so, you are ahead of the game.

And although I don't know any of the details, part of my mother's side of the family came over from Scotland (Carlisle clan).

Anyway -- congratulations to you on your decision -- and we are happy to have you here with us in Absville!

Mike
            "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

starting abs

Hello Mary, I have been on this site for 29 days now and haven't had a drink since day 1. I have choosen abs because I know like you just 1 drink and I will finish the bottle. I'm also moving over to Absville on Wed 1st Nov so looking forward to meeting you there.

Love Irish xx
              A F F L..
              Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

starting abs

Game face time Maryt......Also Irish....Brilliant...Keep up the good work
                I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

starting abs

:welcome: Maryt and Irishlady!
                  Pick out a house and move right on in!

It's good to have you here!

Nancy:l
                  "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

starting abs

Hi Nancy, Thanks for the welcome. I have already picked out my house, It's in a quiet little backwater though not to far from the centre of town. It has two bedrooms, a lovely shady porch and my new address will be
                    Louise,
                    1 Newstart Road,
                    Absville,
                    M W O.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
                    Irish xx
                    A F F L..
                    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

starting abs

1st Nov

Hi Maryt
                      How I empathise with you - for two years I have been hopelesly trying to moderate my drinking.
                      The measures I have taken would be comical if they werent so sad & desperate.
                      Now like you I have reached a point of no more kidding myself.
                      This is it - STOP - whilst I still have a good life worth stopping for.
                      I have been AF for 4 days now.
                      Would love to join you and Irishlady in Absville on Nov 1st. Hope there is a space for me.
                      'Will look forward to following your progress.
                      Regards Changeling

Comment

starting abs

HI my husband started the antabuse on sat its the only way he can stop, i was drinking alot as well but im doing it myself, cause if john isnt drinking then i dont drink, i just drank cause it was there.

good luck on trying to give up and all the best.

p.s dont get me wrong i was starting to get hooked.

alison xx

Comment

starting abs

well done irish wish i could have gone as long as 29 days that is brill i am sure you will go on from strenght to strenght ,hey mike don,t think there is any carlisle in my blood think most of my line came from ireland so hey irish who knows anyway this is day2 for me just now but the beginning is always easier for me it usually gets tough after the first week and that is when i start to buckle a bit so will probably be posting quite a bit after that for any tips and advice ,so keep up the good work and hear from you all soon love maryt

Comment

starting abs

Thanks for the encouraging words Mary, but just you remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE OUT THERE, no matter what time of day or night, if you are having a rough time then get on here and i'm sure there will be someone to listen to you, we're all in this together girl.

Love Irish xx
                            A F F L..
                            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

starting abs

Allie, I know exactly how you feel. I rarely drink alone and don't even think about it till Tom says let's go to the bar or do you want a drink. I don't believe that I am physically addicted to alcohol. I'm not kidding myself - I know I am mentally addicted to what comes along with it. But Tom didn't drink, it would be very easy for me to quit. He had a job interview a few years back and almost didn't get hired because his blood pressure was so high (he didn't realize he had a blood pressure problem because you have to have regular physical check-ups in order to determine if something is wrong, and that would be out of his nature). He went to the Dr, who told him don't drink alcohol or caffeine until the next test - he also gave him some meds. We had a lovely three or four days and managed not to get bored out of our minds. Then he passed the physical and and started drinking again.

Sometimes we adults act like children, don't we??

Comment

Working...
                              X