Monday Morning Blues or Hangover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, staying sober on a moderate level of drinking is starting to work for me, though I have to admit it is VERY HARD!!! I also am still not where I want to be. I want to get to a level where I share a bottle of wine at night over dinner with my husband, have one glass of wine on those occasions where I go out for a social lunch, limit myself to an absolute two at business cocktails, and do the same behavior on the weekend as I do during the week. Well, this weekend, each day I had three wines spaced out throughout the day (as opposed to the two mega bottles I usuall have each day all day long). So, while it is isn't my goal yet, I'm making progress. BUT, its Monday morning and I am sober! Not dealing with the usual hangover that I normally have coming off the weekend. Now for the first time in years, I am remembering the old Karen Carpenter song, "Rainy days and Mondays always get me down". And boy am I down, not so much by depression, just overwhelmed.

According to national statistics, more people commit suicide on Mondays than any other day of the year. Most people actually hate their jobs, live for the weekend, and the thought of going back to work on Monday is a weekly depressing trauma (I can't remember which medical journal I read this from as it was years ago -- but it always stuck in my mind).

For me, Monday is a challenge because of stress. I love my job, thrive on it, but it is high pressure. I have to fit 18 hours of work in a 12 hour day. So, it is really high stress. Additionally, my son is a senior in high school. He has attended an all boys school since first grade, among the top grades and ranking in his school, and he is bucking for the big boy colleges. He and I are best friends, so he relies on me to help him. He turns to me for advice and assistance on everything, which is a tremendous honor, as he is a wonderful person. It seems like every week there are major tests for which he must prepare (and I must schedule for him, transport him, etc), applications to write (which I help review and edit along with his college counselor), etc., etc. Plus, this week is particularly stressful because I always bake 1,000 cookies for the upper class for Halloween. And my son always dresses up in these elaborate costumes (which I make). This year he is going to be a scientist from a computer game called "Half Life" that turns into a monster because of a "head crab". So, I have to finish sewing the costume. I have a policy and procedure manual due tomorrow, which I haven't started (and I write these types of manuals sooo much better when I'm drunk -- I think it slows my brain down -- don't get me wrong, I can write them fine without drinking, it just takes a lot longer). My husband is semi-retired (he is 13 years older than me) and has asked me to help him with his retirement papers - due today. My father is ill and the only pleasure he gets is watching TV, talking to me and emailing me back and forth. And my mother suffers from depression and gets really bad if I don't get out with her at least two to three times a week. EEK!!!! MONDAY!!!!!

This is probably going to be one of the worse weeks I've had in a while. I'm sure it is not any worse than anyone else's week. But for me, it is going to be real!!!! challenging to stay on track with my drinking goals. So, I hope all of you will forgive me if I drive you nuts pleading for help and support throughout the week. I'm going to try to stay on track with sharing one bottle of wine with my husband over dinner. I'm going to allow myself two glasses of wine on my lunch outings this week (so far two days this week -- my ultimate goal is one glass at lunch outings). But quite frankly, I don't know if I can do it. It has been so hard to stick to this goal and the only thing that helped was that I could go off and exercise. But I won't have that option this week. So that's my Monday, sober, not depressed, but overwhelmed, and wondering if it wouldn't be better to be hungover!!! (Just kidding).

So, how is your Monday shaping up? Your week? Anyone setting any goals?

Love to hear from you,
    MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Wow, I need a bottle of wine just from reading that! :H
    On serious note, you sound very high functioning and like you have tons of things to do to keep your mind occupied and distracted, but I also know what you mean about doing a better job sometimes with writing or certain difficult tasks with a ittle "extra help"... LOL. You truly have a lot on your plate, so I hope you can take some deep breaths and hopefully have a way better week than you expect! Keep posting and maybe that will help ease a bit of stress too! Best of luck!

Allie
    What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

WOW, Mighty Mouse!
      You certainly have a ton going on! Busy busy busy. I'm sorry to hear you feel overwhelmed with helping both the younger and older generations. That seems to be a common theme with many of the people here. It's a lot to manage and I know you will get a lot of empathy and sound advice from people going through very similar issues. The demanding job on top of it all...deadlines. Monday, monday!

What I can say is CONGRATS on meeting your drinking goal for the weekend! That's a huge accomplishment! You have set yourself firm guidelines and rules, and I feel that is imperative. If I don't have them in place, it's a recipe for disaster sometimes. If that is truly what you would like to accomplish with your drinking, you can do it. People on this site have gone from drinking lotsa drinks per day to a chosen few, and stuck with it for MONTHS. And are much happier and more productive, I might add! It's just a bit of an adjustment at first.
      I'm one of those who does really well for weeks at at time when I have a very strict plan in place, them I seem to slack a bit, have a bad few days or week, look at my drink count and go "WHOA", put the brakes on, and get back to my schedule more diligently. Just something I have to keep a thumb on all the time.

Do you have the supps yet?? They REALLY help and will take the edge off. Especially since you say this week will be more difficult than usual. Kudzu, L-Glutamine, and GABA I find are wonderful to ward off cravings, and take the All One in the morning for a nice energy boost. Great job on the exercise. Certainly my favorite tool as well!

Best to you MM! We love having you around. You feel free to "bug" away if it helpls you meet your goals! That's what this board is for:l

Comment

Hey MMII
        This is only my 2nd night on here so all a bit of a novelty for me and have been reading and posting frantically.
        I have read quite a few of yr posts and really enjoy reading them. Love your detail and honestly plse continue with this as is very inspiring.
        Im not sure how u manage with all those things, especially having children. I am single and have no ties so dont hae to worry about these things. At same time understand yr work situation I have a very busy and stressful job so find it very hard to actually function and make it thru. Somehow I do.
        I am not even close to reaching the sort of goals u r actually achieving but reading about it makes me feel that I can. Plse continue to post as I want to know how yr progress goes. Well done on how far u have got!!!

Comment

ps so true about the monday thing. Do u know the song by the boomtown rats " I dont like mondays" was inspired by a shooting at a school in america (sorry am so rubbish cant remember what but someone will) and when they asked them why they did it they replied I dont like mondays ... sorry if this is slightly wrong but think I am on right track!

Comment

Oh dear......I've been gone for what seems like forever from here. It's all I can do to read and catch up here.

My cat is looking at me like I am the worst human in the world because I am sitting here instead of lavishing my attention on him

I've missed so much here while I've been away!

Becca, I love your plan........after my month of Abs I think I will try that......thanks for the tip. Also, I just want you to know, I plan on walking the 1/2 marathon in Cincinnati (flying pig) I think it's called, next May.......... You have inspired me!

Allie, I love Disney.....I'm thinking of you too!

I miss you all but there's so much I have to catch up on here at home.

Gypsi, I am thinking of you:l

Welcome to everyone new!:welcome:

:h
            :h :h :h :h

Comment

MM .. hang in there!~ You are doing wonderful!!!

Mondays ARE tough ... but I have to say .. this is the first one in YEARS that I have felt semi-normal!

I'll catch up with you ... and hopefully other .. in Live Chat later today!

Thinking bout cha ..

WaitingToExhale

Comment

WOW
                I have missed tons as well - its almost scary!
                MM and all other newbies - welcome!!
                MM- thank you for that poignant post and great intro into this week which will be the first week of November.
                Soooo everybody - for those of you who are interested in listing your goals - here is a good chance to do so ...
                For me, I am going to do
                AF during the weeks (Sun -Thurs)
                Fridays and Saturdays I can now have drinks but no more than 3 drinks in any one sitting.
                I am absolutely dedicating myself to eating healthier
                I am cutting out white bread, sugars as much as as possible
                Exercise routine at least three times per week
                If I feel myself in any way drinking more than above, I will go back to AF permanently.

Love you all - Fan I hope you are feeling better sweety
                Gypsi - I hope your husband is doing well and you too Mary Anne
                Everyone else - I am thinking of you too
                MKR Mary - I hope your family is well too
                Lusch - Love ya darlin' - I am thinking of you too as you embark on your new journey starting this week!
                Love Jen
                Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hi!!! Just stopping by as I'm coming up for a little air!!!! Thanks for all of the comments -- it REALLY helps!!! Just when I thought I had things under control, two more emergency projects got dumped in my lap. A media site I have to revise and add additional information and an expert opinion editorial request!!!! YIKES!!!! Gotta go!!! Still no drink yet today!!!!!

MM

Comment

Right ARM!! Mighty Mouse, You can do it!!

"Just another Manic Monday":good: :wd: . Here... I'll give ya a hand!:l
                    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Just popping in to say, I'm still surviving -- taking deep breaths !!!!! Thanks for all of the support!!!!!
                      Still haven't had a drink!!!!!!

MM

Comment

Good JOB MM!!!
                        Hoooray!!!
                        Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hi! Things are going great!!! I finished my website edits - I'm going "hot" on Wednesday. My opinion editorial for an international group is almost done and I have until midnight tomorrow, so I'm ahead of schedule. My son and I emailed on and off for two hours today with his counselor - essays are complete!!! The policy and procedure manual is done and all I have to do is the accompanying brochure tomorrow. My husband and I had a thirty minute cocktail hour (that was my first break of the day [ate lunch while working]). I had one glass out of the one bottle of wine we are sharing tonight (within my goal). Now I'm returning my calls and then going to pick up the last fabric I need for the rest of my son's costume (I have to quilt a crab to wrap around his monster head), then I have to pick up the milk, cidar and oj for tomorrow. Almost done.

Boy, am I looking forward to the chat forum tonight at 7 p.m. - Hope to see all of you there! Thanks again for the support.

MM
                          P.S. Again thanks for the support -- I just might make that goal of sharing that one bottle of wine with hubbie!! We'll see!!! MM

Comment

Here ya go, hitting on the newbies again. Tsk, tsk....don't let him scare you off MM!!!
                            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

275 posts does NOT make you a newbie. Nice try.
                              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Working...
                              X