anyone losing weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone losing weight?

is anyone losing any weight on topamax yet? if so, how long did it take to start losing and at what dosage?

anyone losing weight?

Hi Stellar,

I hate to dissapoint you, but many on topamax don't lose a pound. I wish Roberta would actually remove that portion from her story. I am thrilled that she lost the weight, but this question gets raised so much and it just is not applicable for so many.

The real weight loss is most likely from not drinking, and exercizing.

I too thought wow! It will help me stop drinking and lose weight. At least in my case, I did not.

-Nina

Comment

anyone losing weight?

Hi, I love this stuff!!!! I've been taking it for one week,eating everything in my path(I guess out of nervous energy and not knowing what to do without my cocktail.) and I've lost a pound a day.So far I havent had any weird side effects so I'm thrilled.I had gotten quite chubby in the last year and even if I starved myself I could'nt lose an ounce so this is pure magic.

Comment

anyone losing weight?

molly, what dose are you taking?

Comment

anyone losing weight?

Hi lilyluvr, The first week 25mg. second week 50mg but no weight loss the second week. I guess it was a little too good to be true!I'm finding the cravings creeping up again as well as the number of drinks.Certainly no where near before but I'm wondering if I increase the dose next week if that will improve. Are you just starting out with this program? Keep in touch and good luck!!! Molly

Comment

anyone losing weight?

Topamax and weight loss

Hi.

I won't be changing the weight loss information in my book any time soon. It was an honest reflection of my experience and is also a well documented side effect of the medication. It doesn't affect everyone the same way, but I feel it would have been somewhat reckless to exclude it. I've been contacted by many individuals over the past couple of years who are thin or average in weight and find themselves alarmed when they've lost too much. This is a significant health concern and we find we must make adjustments to their exercise schedules and diet.

Topamax has actually been tested and prescribed for weight loss, but side effects have been troublesome. Here's an example of one study. This less formal article provides additional details. As I mentioned recently in this blog post (and the book) my weight lost of 27 pounds may have been exacerbated by the aggressive exercise schedule I had taken on, as well as my short term use of adrafinil, which like Topamax, acts as an appetite suppressant.

Of course, weight loss is often a result of decreased alcohol consumption, increased exercise, and improved nutrition, too. So if you follow the program as directed, you should eventually see results.

But Nina, you raise a really good point, because as you note, some people simply don't experience one of the few "good" side effects of this medication if they're hoping to lose a few pounds along with the desire to drink.

I wonder if it would be worth posting a poll to survey those of you who are taking Topamax. You could let us know if you lost weight or not. It may not be terribly scientific but it would be interesting to see how our numbers compare to those of the clinical trials, ey?

RJ
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

anyone losing weight?

roberta i think that would be a great idea!

Comment

Working...
              X