Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one year sober - its possible

11-1-2006
    Reflections on one year of sobriety through abstinence. I've posted on this 'my story' place before and i've put my previous posts below. I started from such a dark and tired and lonely place.

I am the same person and yet I am so different now. I?m awake and I?m alive and I?m growing. This is scary, there is no doubt.. and dealing with emotions has on occasions been very testing, but boy, I?m capable of change and I?m capable of growth.

When I started this was a fantasy of mine. Maybe I could stay sober.. maybe.. just maybe. ? and yet, here I am.. I?m here at one year sober. Its not been easy.. but the other option would have been harder as I only know too well.

Now I feel like I?m at the beginning. I couldn?t face what I needed to in life if I stayed drunk. Now that I?m sober, I have the responsibility to work on the crap inside and let the flower bloom and the sun shine out of me. It has been such hard work, but so worth the effort. I only have one year under my belt.. I want a lifetime. I just cant forget where I came from here.. I cant forget the journey and the pain? I?m responsible for my future.. its only me that can keep this going.

People I simply have to thank here who were there when my life was changing are Kel (my rock and soul mate), Mish and Jenram (there is something in my life about the number 3 and it does not surprise me that it was three people here who touched me in the beginning). I?ve noticed so many people here, but those were here at MY beginning and whom I thank from the bottom of my heart.

This is a new phase that I?m in now.. the phase of how do I live with one year under my belt.. what are my next steps.. what do I need to work on.. who/what can help me. I?m not sure where my destination is or if there is a destination.. maybe its just a journey.

There are many on the board that I?d like to thank personally, but it would seem like an exclusive club which its not meant to be. I am so lucky that some of you are here and I?ve connected with you.. Some, even though I?ve never met you I feel like I KNOW you.. like Kate and Mike and others whose posts I look for if I log in. Even some people on mods I wish well to and have ?known? for a bit, like Tawny and Becca ? I couldn?t do it, myself, that mods.. but if you can.. go for it I reckon, if its your way, do it your way.

For me, I cannot have drink in my life because drink crushes me and denies me my future. I really want to live.

I saw this thought somewhere by D Suzuki ? where it says

?From the beginning nothing has been kept from you, all that you wished to see has been there all the time before you, it was only yourself that closed the eye to the fact.?

This is so true for me. I knew when I was slipping into alcohol dependence.. I made myself feel like I had no control, when all along, I did have the control and I needed to open my eyes to the truth within me. I hope that I continue to have this awareness as a way of life for me.

And to RJ ? words fail me.

Breathe
    Become aware
    Become mindful
    Brigid

5-16-2006
    Dont know why I'm doing this but the urge has taken me....

first time I came here 6 months ago I wrote a pathetic blurb which hardly reflected anything of my potential and only blurted out my frustration and depression... and didnt do that very well either.

For the next two weeks after I found this site I hid in the background.. reading.. amased.. terrified. Then I had to find out the logistics of what went on here.. I mean.. were these people who sounded like me REAL? was I really not alone.. and then how do I communicate with these people.. communicating with them makes me feel like I'm admitting something I've struggled admitting.. so I did it incognito.. testing the waters.. seeing who responded and trying to work out my response.. still feeling guilty because I'm still in hiding.. ashamed.

On top of that I decide to go cold turkey abstinent. Discussions ensued about my decision to go without meds.. people tried to disuade me and being obstinate like I am I just resisted.. boy it was hard.. tough does not describe it... and my confidence started to grow.

but then feelings would come in that would surprise me. I'd be so strong and wham, I'd feel weak. I'd come to this site and read and reflect for hours.. I knew EVERY post on the site.. I must have read them 1000 times.

Time was something that helped me.. over time I stopped being so surprised at being another day sober and I sort of started to accept that I WOULD be sober that night. That was when I decided to tell my husband what I thought I'd been hiding for so long. Another agony for me to share on the board.. people supported me.. but once again.. I just had to take the bull by the horns and just do it.. and immediately afterwards.. here I came to share the story.

I never thought I'd make 6 weeks.. but I did.. then I doubted I could make three months.. but I did.. and now I'm at 6 months and I know I can make a year. What a difference a day makes!!!! cos it happened a day at a time.

Im still not sure I'll ever do moderation.. but my story has changed since I came here and I encourage anyone who wants to change to read read read and to listen to their own heart and make the change..

boy its worth it.
    Brigid

30-10-2005
    I'm female, born over 40 years ago in Africa to a large family of catholics. Went to secondary school in the UK as a boarder.. hated it. Left school, travelled.. noticed I already could drink more than others.. got myself trained and a job.. drank more, but didnt think it was a problem - it was too easy to hide. Moved to Australia, and met and married my soul mate and have 2 kids. I know I can still function, do the good things in the town etc, but drink alone at home and cant remember in the morning what happened last night. I can go tee total for a while, but as soon as I get that first drink, that is me and I go back to a bottle of wine a night... so I'm thinking I will have to just stop altogether. I ordered my campral but they dont seem to be shipping it and I'm using this as a delay so I dont have to start as yet. Its almost as if I need a kick up the butt to get me going.. I"m doing the whole thing in secret and still hiding awfully. I'm very tired of it all.
    ATT

Thnak you for sharing ...

As one just starting this journey ... it brings hope and new energy to the process of the work.

WaitingToExhale

Comment

Great words Brigid. I do remember you. Wow, we have all been here a year??
      Yikes, I better get busy with recovery.
      Thanks for your support.
      Love and Peace,
      Phil
      Love and Peace,
      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Brigid,

Thanks for posting your reflections on your first year.

You've made me realize just how much of this hinges on making the decision and sticking to it. Everything else is ancillary.

You've also helped me see just how much of it is about believing in myself. I love the Suzuki quote -- so true.

I think by the time we get here we are so used to failing that we don't quite know how to succeed. Thanks for showing us.

Mike
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Sharing your thoughts

Thank you Brigid

Helen

Comment

Hello Brigid

Every day is something but ONE YEAR AF is something else

Thank you for sharing this day and I hope you will have many more

All the best S :thanks:

Comment

Brigid, you are so inspiring!!! Congratulations on a HUGE milestone.
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

So inspiring

Hi Brigid. Words--adequate ones, anyway--fail me, as well.

I am so glad you're here and have been with us all this time. Thank you for sharing your story. It is sure to inspire.

I love how you presented your experience chronologically as an overview. I practically had flashbacks when you mentioned some of those members--it doesn't seem so long ago, those early EZBoard days! But it represents such a remarkable accomplishment of how far you've come.

Thanks again, I'm sure you've touched many people today in a very meaningul way.

RJ
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Brigid,
                  Just now....I have tears in honor of your accomplishment. Thank you for your inspiriation. Gabbs...5 months in!

Why am I still crying?
                  Gabby :flower:

Comment

Thanks Brigid for the inspiring, beautiful words.
                    You are beautiful and you should be proud.
                    Congratulations
                    Jen
                    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Congratulations Brigid! :h One year is awsome! Thanks for sharing your story.:l

Funny I picked yesterday to drop you a line... .
                      Say Hi! to Jenram.. if you talk to her! I haven't seen her here in ages...
                      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Thank you Brigid.

Comment

Congratulations Brigid on your success. Be proud.
                          You are an inspiration to everyone here.

CC

Comment

Miracles Do Happen!

I am so, so happy for you! You have been an inspiration for me and were there in my darkest moments where I didn't know if I could climb out.

Here's to many more alcohol free years! (and happy almost six months to me...)

Jen (jenram)
                            Stay-at-Home Motherdom (If you're new, come read my story on this site...)

Comment

28 days sover

Hi I read your words with hope. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X