Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Mod Squad

Hey modders and lurkers,

I'm busy making plans for our last family summer trip but wanted to give a shout out to all of my friends.

My master's program is keeping me busier than I expected and that reflects here as I used to spend so much time here, reading, supporting others and getting supported as well.

So, just wanted to say, I'm still lurking when I have the time and answer any private emails almost immediately. Seems we've been a bit lax with coming here (many of us) so let's unite and stay strong so we can lean on each other for assistance in reaching our mod goals.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

August Mod Squad

Hi all,
    I'm doing well in my new chapter in life. I read posts here every day, but just don't have much to say. Life is good.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hey Sunbeam,
      I've been reading too many other chapters with my studies so I've missed what your new chapter in life is. What are you up to?

Hugs,
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

August Mod Squad

I've been thinking of you, Sunbeam. I'm wondering if you can shed some light on a gardening anomaly for me. I bought a couple of new iris this spring, a smaller bearded one in full bloom and a larger (not one of the huge ones) that was too small of a tuber section to bloom this year. The little one did it's thing early in the spring and all was well. About 10 days or so ago, I saw that the little iris was blooming again (!), and then a few days later, the bigger one was in full bloom, too (!!). There's more. Also this spring, I bought a poor little unwanted crab apple for about $25. It was mostly dead, all stunted and deformed, so I put it in a corner hoping that one day it would recover. Well, it's blooming now, too (!!!). These are not plants I think of as opportunistic re-bloomers - they're very season-bound, at least in my experience. Have you ever seen anything like that? I'm a totally organic grower, so I haven't put anything odd into the soil. Just sheep poo and the like...?
        "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

August Mod Squad

Eve, after more than 30 years of full-time employment, I now have a part-time job, just three days per week. I interviewed for this position last November, have mentioned it from time to time. Hubby is retired, and this step in that direction is a good one for me. We have plans to travel for a couple of weeks spring and fall, I want to visit more national parks but also go to Disney. NOW is the time to do things I have always wanted to do. Tomorrow I will go (in spite of 90o heat) on a wildflower walk with the area's best naturalist, something I've only thought about doing.

CanadianGirl, the weather has been unusual this spring & summer in our area, with a lot of extreme fluctuations which both stresses and confuses plants. There actually are some re-blooming iris out there, so you may have obtained some of those. But they, like the crabapple, may have just been fooled by the fluctions: hot then cold, desert then floods. The tree probably went into early dormancy, then revived with the rain and heat.

CG, I'm looking at the calendar above this computer, and will pm you as soon as I finish this post, about our garden date.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

August Mod Squad

well, i'm almost embarrassed to come on here and post, but i know i have to get back on the horse and i know this is the best place to help me do that.

i have to admit, i just threw caution to the wind for the last month or so. it's summer and i've had many vacations and out of town visitors. i have not even really tried to moderate, especially for the last 3 weeks. i've been having avg. 3 drinks a night and i'm not really pleased with myself, although, i'm not feeling too bad about it. thing is, i just haven't tried to moderate or anything because i've been having so much fun. i haven't overdone it at all, no hangovers or anything. BUT now, school is about to start and summer is over and I'm getting back in the game. I'm actually looking forward to it!
            I am going to give it a really good try and get into a new habit so that by next summer, I don't wreck all my hard work

of course, i look back at the drink tracker and see that my first issue is the OCD and tapering down. So, I'll start that today, and will try to have an AF day this week. then next week, i'll shoot for more.

first time ever i've looked forward to school starting back. :P

take care

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hi all

Just a quick hello to say I haven't been around (not even lurking!). It's nice to see old friends though. I've had a summer of confusion/upset with my 16 y/o daughter acting out. I'm just hanging in there and trying not to set expectations that I will fail, so I haven't been a "good mod citizen". But I will be back in the saddle hopefully this fall.

I do have a lovely vacation to France planned for myself late August, and have been playing golf and having more time to meet with friends since my daughter is living with her father. So its good in some ways, but as you mothers know, hard in some ways too.

Just wanted to say "hi".
              Ask

Comment

August Mod Squad

It's nice to see all of you - Bear's on the other thread.

Just wanted to tell you that I had a dream last night the the mod squad came to my home for a picnic. We couldn't see each other; we seemed to be invisible. But we could see the picnic items once they were put on the kitchen counter. Weird, huh?

Comment

August Mod Squad

hey all - is this the one you hang out on most - or the other one i posted on - can never remember
                  one day at a time

Comment

August Mod Squad

This is the active thread

Hey Bear,
                    This is mostly where we hang out. Welcome back! How's things?

Comment

August Mod Squad

Just a quick check-in - things are going really well. All goals met or exceeded. But I do have a strange detail to share with anyone who's interested. I started on a low-carb diet last week because I have a stubborn midriff pooch I'd like to get rid of (cutting down the booze so much didn't help, largely I think because I compensated by having tons of fancy deserts instead). No beer allowed, but so what. The other evening I had 3 glasses of wine and got absolutely smashed. Went to bed at 9:30 all disoriented and confused. I had heard that this was possible, but sort of expected some kind of warning...? Plus the horrible head ache in the middle of the night. So I may be moderating more than planned. I'm going to try again this evening, but very slowly and carefully. Neither smashed nor hungover is cool any more! Anyway, FYI for anyone who's interested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

August Mod Squad

hi all
                        canadagirl..looks like you've lowered your tolerance quite a bit! i have had that happen back in march. i was disappointed because like you, i'm trying to mod and i don't want to be hungover on the day after i choose to drink 3 glasses of wine.
                        but, that's the way it goes i guess. i'd rather have low tolerance then high tolerance if i have to choose! LOL
                        sounds like you're doing great.

i started my back to school pact and am on my 2nd AF night right now.
                        had some major panic on Monday with my ocd fears, when i knew i would go AF Tuesday. tuesday was full of anxiety. today was a little better anxiety wise. otherwise i feel fine. i assume that if i was going to have withdrawals i would have them by now. although, i have heard that day 3 is the hardest, but i assume that day 1 and 2 would have been uncomfortable first if that was the case. so, i'm going with that.
                        i haven't decided how many af days in a row i will go. i'm kind of sick of worrying and anxiety and ocd and all that. so, we'll see. i plan on at least going af tomorrow as well. i'm considering friday too.

so, that's that.

where is everyone?

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hey Letgo

I've found that my anxiety has gone down as my drinking has gone down. My diagnosis was symptoms of post-traumatic stress (not the full fledged disorder) from disabling injuries that then triggered chronic pain that triggered the anxiety that triggered the drinking, etc etc. It's like this whole crazy cycle. But maybe your level of anxiety will go down as you get some regular AF days in again. Hope so. Also - I know that my anxiety is made worse by blood sugar fluctuations (that's another thing this low-carb business is doing for me, and it feels pretty okay).

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hi all,

I'm hoping to join you here in the as a long-term mod. I've cut drinking way down, actually had a couple AF days and am prepping for the start of the school year to really cut my intake. I too have problems with anxiety and have really cut out sugar in the last few weeks as I don't want it to replace alcohol. I feel SOOOO much better! I am also taking a class at the rec center 2 evenings a week to help with fitness and life style changes. Am happy for the first time to be able to confidently say I will not be having a couple shots of Jack before heading into the class. Happy Friday

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hey everybody,
                              I thought you would like to know that CanadianGirl and I met up today to enjoy some Canadian gardens. Meeting a live person from here was a great experience. I just didn't know if how a person comes across on screen could match with a real person, but it did. If you get a chance, do this.

Sky, glad you plan to join us. Activity here has been low lately, but I will try to be better about posting instead of just reading. It sounds like you are off to a great start. I will also work on reducing carbs and sugar - carbs just turn into sugar as we chew them, I think, so they are sort of the same.

Take care, all.

Comment

Working...
                              X