Topamax and Hair Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax and Hair Loss

My daughter (33) is taking Topamax for migraines (150 mg) and it is the first thing that has worked for her. She has been on it for several months and in the last couple months has experienced increasing hair loss. Her MD says it may be the Topamax (although it is odd I haven't read of this on this board). She tried decreasing the dosage and the migraines are back. The MD isn't too helpful - -

Has anyone experienced this side effect???

Topamax and Hair Loss

Yes I have, But not to extreme. Just like more in the brush. Hasnt effected the look of my hair. I am still beauty pagent material. Just need a few additional minutes in the morning.

Gabby :flower:

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

That is reassuring. Could I ask if it has it been an on-going issue or was just for awhile? She is really freaked out about it.

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

Hair supplements

I've got thin hair to begin with and I can't afford to really lose any more, so I threw in a biotin (3000 mg) supplement. It's only been a few days, but biotin's supposed to be key for the hair so we'll see what happens.

Starbuck

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

I experienced a great deal of hair loss on Topa. Turns out I'm one of the unlucky few who cannot take this drug. I had to come off it because I experienced a rare, but serious side effect called metabolic acidosis (high blood acidity). I think if I hadn't been lazy about my supps, particularly l-glutamine which helps to maintain your body's acid/base balance, I might not have experienced this side effect. I can't be certain about that, but I know it probably would have helped. I would advise that if you are experiencing hair loss, have your doctor run routine blood work to see if your blood acid is running high.

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

My hair has definately gotten thinner, since being on topa. I've been on it for a year. It's actually starting to be a concern for me... My hair is a bit thin to start with, but has gotten a lot thinner. It's still nice & shiny, but thinner than it's ever been
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

I have been on it for a few months a just realised that I have now a receding line on both side of my bangs.
              I also know that my moods are different, I am not as out going anymore and somehow I am more depressed as well. As any one found any of these symptoms hitting them.
              I am getting really worry about it and wonder if it is the Topo doing that.

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

I haven't noticed any hair loss. I will keep an eye on it though as I keep going!!
                The Calmes Forte and Gaba help with the depressed feelings. Have you tried them. I am not sure if Topa causes that. Gee, not much of a help am I? Others will follow who will be.
                Take Care
                "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

I noticed I felt very depressed and foggy at 200 mg so I dropped back to 150. Actually, I don't know if it was the topa or not - maybe it was just the holidays.

Really tho, if I want to drink, I am going to. It made me lose my taste for beer and slow down. The cravings are all gone but mentally I can still go strong (like yesterday).

No hair loss that I am noticing, but I am sweating a lot less when I work out. I also notice the tingling in my hands and feet, and carbonated beverages taste like crap. I can't stand beer anymore - still like scotch, unfotunately.

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

Definately noticed some hair thinning, but once I added 2000 mcg of biotin and 200 mcg of selenium (RJ recomends this in her book if hair thinning occurs) it seems noticably better.
                    mary

Comment

Topamax and Hair Loss

I too had experienced such side effects and hair loss and it was one of the worst phase of my life. But then I was advised by my doctor to start vitamins for healthy regrowth of hair. Meanwhile to hide the hair loss my hair stylist suggested me to get hair extensions and on his explanation I got them done with great results.

Comment

Working...
                      X