Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, November 4

Good Morning Absville!!

I am heading off to Hawaii in a couple of hours so I am up even earlier than normal. I will be offline for the first day or so, so don't worry if you don't see me around. Hopefully, after that I will be checking in from time to time, as long as the hotel doesn't charge something outragous for a wireless connection. (Remember my trip to Las Vegas? $12.95 per day for internet? Geez.)

I was just looking at my daily meditation book and here's the gist of today's topic:

"I can do things that I never did before. Liquor took away my initiative and my ambition. I couldn't get up the steam to start anything. I let things slide. ..... Now I can sit down and do something. I can write letters that need to be written. I can make telephone calls that need to be made. I can work in my garden. I can pursue my hobbies. I have the urge to create something, that creative urge that was completely stifled by alcohol. I am free to achieve again. Have I recovered my initiative?"

Now, I'm finding that as time goes by (Day 47 here) I am feeling more and more initiative and ambition. Whereas I used to feel completely (forgive the word but) impotent, I now feel able to achieve almost anything. I am getting up and about and taking on new projects. For example a couple of weeks ago I went on a decorating spree, after 3 years of bare walls and floors in this apartment. Why now? I think it's this re-awakening of the creative energy inside, this energy that was stifled by alcohol.

Are you finding that your initiative is coming back to life? Not just creativity, but getting off your rear end and getting things done?
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Saturday, November 4

Well said Mike !!!

that is exactly what happens... life is lack-lustre, yet without alcohol you actually want to put a shine back on it again.

Well done on 47 days - that is fab, and I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii ( jealous !!!) :h

Hi to everyone this saturday - I have copped out of watching Lee's Rugby game - well I'm going to watch the second half.. Don't fancy being a human icicle , especially since my hair was chopped off this morning, - I feel like Samson.

Actually I only had 2 cm off it ( drama queen ) ! :H

So I need to get my bot into action...

Speak soon

XXXX

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Hawaii is sounding mighty nice to me too. It's 23 degrees out--brrrrrr!

Anyway, congrats on 47 days, Mike! I know what you mean about the creative juices starting to flow. Alcohol does sap your motivation and creativity and positive ambition as well. It's good to see you getting it back and feeling good about it. Enjoy Hawaii! I hope that you get an internet connection at a reasonable price.

Hey Lizzie, I hope you like your new haircut! I love getting mine done. I hope it warms up for you over there so you don't freeze during the second half of Lee's game. It's hard to imagine that it is 8am here and 1pm there!

I'm not sure exactly what I want to accomplish today, but I do feel like I want to accomplish something. I'm finding that with the change from daylight savings time, I am bounding out of bed before my alarm goes off, ready to face my day. I think that it is time to start a knitting or sewing project for the winter. I think that today, though, my sister and I will be rearranging furniture!

Anyway, I'm off to take a shower for now.

Happy Saturday to all who are later to post!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Uh Oh !!! Slight change of plan for today..

Lou has just blown me off...:upset: She's full of it... , sounds really poorly.

So I guess I'm riding solo this afters... ( all those hunks you've missed ) still, it's better than spluttering all over them Chixter !!!

Hope you are feeling better.
        Rub Vics into your chest ( who's Vic?) !!!! :H

Love ya
        Liz :h

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Liz

lol..oh im so sorry for blowing you off babe! my tubes actualy seem to have cleared quite a bit now...hope we can reschedule?? x
          "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Good Morning All,
            Mike, have a wonderful time in Hawaii!!!! Hopefully I'll get some major incentive to get things done around here in two weeks. We are having quite a bit of work done (windows put in and walls torn down) right around Thanksgiving. That's a stressfull time to do it but I hope,at that time, with a few AF weeks under my belt I'll be able to deal with it. Drinking does put stress in my life and takes my energies away from things that are more deserving. I feel now,on day 7, that my life's compass is working better. When drinking,it;s as if there is a magnet in the room and my "compass" can't tell me in which direction to go.

I'm babbling....... but my compass is telling me there is a spin class I have to get to now.HATE it but I'll be happy when it's done.

Back later
            Janet

Comment

Saturday, November 4

oops - that's right Janet, we are on the same schedule aren't we? I thought day 7 was yesterday hmm -
              deja vu I guess I will have day 7 again today!!

Hope you are all doing great. Have fun in Hawaii Mike - eat lots of pineapple!

I have to run out now. Check back later with everyone.
              Lisa

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Lisa, Janet its good to see you both, Lizzie and Lou Lou you too cutsie pops. Wish I could go with ya bugsie...to the rugbie game. How fun to meet all those cute english rugby playin men. Ahhh man.....why do ya gotta be so far away???
                Mike you are doin so awesome. 47 days and in Hawaii. Why are you there? Well that doesnt matter. Your just a lucky dog any way look at it. Look at a palm tree and soak up a ray for me.....will ya? Don't worry about the cold beer...we're on topa, won't be any good. Ice tea will actually taste loads better. Hummm, cant decide who's havin more fun. Kath....you and me are just gonna have to hang out here and work and knit. At least Lisa and Janet are workin out. Maybe we should at least go for a walk together later. : )
                Well....happy day everyone and yet to come.
                Stay AF!
                Smiles...
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Good morning !

The sun is bright outside today but me thinks it is a trick! I'm going to layer up and go for a walk! We had a fire outside last night in our firepit and watched the full moon and stars come out! I love this time of year!

Mike.................I wannaaaaaaaa goooooooo!
                  Oh well....send pictures!

Kathy...I have several projects going and books half read! Whats up with that? ADD??

Lisa.........how was your day off yesterday? Did you have a massage? Love those! I saw the book "Captivating" in our Wal mart yesterday! Thought of you!:l

Lou............take your supps and add some "c".... it helps!

Lissie...you must sent pics of the "new you"!

Love to everyone who comes here....post or no!

Nancy:l
                  "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Sorry I missed a few!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox to all of you too!
                    Nancy
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Hiya Dudes,
                      Just a quick post again.....I take my brother back home to tomorrow, so i will be able to catch up here...In the meantime i am having a great time...Its brill to have him down...We dont see enough of each other..

Great to see you again Lou....I've not seen you on here for ages

Speak soon...Love Macks:l
                      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Kathy, where do you live (besides Absville), where it's so cold? By the way, I too started Kindergarden when I just turned 4 yr old. Always being the youngest, and physically the smallest (I am petite), was awful. It made me a very insecure child. Hope your pretend birthday was good.
                        Hugs,
                        Meow-Meow
                        MonaKitty

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Ok Kath and Monacat, me too. Back then.....in the King Tut days (as my darlin chillins would say) the deadline for kindergarten was December 1st. So I actually did make it, started school when I was 4 and was a 17 yr old graduate as well. I was ok with all of it for the most part. Except where it stung me was when EVERYBODY not only had their drivers permits but their licences long before I did.
                          But none the less....didnt stop me from growin up. I had a fake ID as soon as I wanted it. When I was 17....it said I was 21. Certainly started drinkin by then...and all that....no need for details.
                          You all know.
                          What did someone say?....And the beat goes on.....
                          Makes ya think we are who we are no matter of a year or two in our life.....ya think? hummmm
                          Gabby :flower:

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Hi all....Nancy - yep, I had a massage AND I got a facial! Apparently what I really need is a vitamin C peel!! That should fix everything... No, actually, it was great. I pampered myself and relaxed.
                            I'm going to do a little work work now and hopefully have time to make it to the gym for a little relcined bicycle before meeting my friend for the 4:30 movie - Running with Scissors.
                            It is absolutely gorgeous today. This is the kind of day you write home about! This is the kind of day that is usually only written about in poems or great novels, a once in a lifetime.......well, it's nice anyway...

Sun is shining and the birds are singing and it is cold but the colors of the leaves are just incredible - orange and red and yellow and brown. A good day to go for a walk. I went to our little coffee shop this morning and there were lots of people just out walking and enjoying the day. Of course...it's not exactly Hawaii but I'll take it!

Macks - glad you enjoyed having your brother visiting. There is nothing quite like being around someone you truly knows you inside and out (since birth)...and likes you anyway You and Kathy are both having some sibling time - I think that is so nice.
                            Gabby- I wan't the youngest in my class (I'm a june baby) but your post made me remember that in College - I went to school in Tx- the legal drinking age was 18 at the time. Can you believe it?
                            And, yes, I took full advantage. Until they changed the law and then I was underage again!

Nancy- I;m going to Barnes and Noble later today...I will look for that.
                            I need to run - again-

:l Lisa

Comment

Saturday, November 4

Hi everyone --

It is a beautiful day here as well. A perfect fall day - the air is crisp and clear, its not freezing but you need a jacket and the colors of the leaves (those that remain of the trees) are spectacular.

I was up early and motivated to do things as well and that is a great feeling. One that I miss. I hope it continues to grow. (I got A LOT to catch up on!)

Sounds like everyone is having a good weekend - I hope it continues and you all have a day filled with peace and gratitude. (My peace ends at 4 pm when my husbands grandchildren arrive - 2 &4!!) :H HAHAHA.
                              Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X