A million little pieces - James Frey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone read this? it really made me think about my drinking issues.

I kinow there has been some controversy over how much of the book is "real" but I still found a lot of food for thought.

I read it. I thought it was well done and tried not to worry about all the hoopla about whether it was 'real' or not. I think the feeling behind it was real. I read this and then read Dry by augusten burroughs....as I was headed toward realizing I needed to do something myself. I found I had some similar thought processes and that is when I started looking for help/support. I would recommend reading it.
    Lisa

Comment

a million little pieces

Aloha!

Read it and loved it! didn't care if it was real or not. I could imagine the anguish anyone must go through to come clean. It was very thought provoking and got me to start thinking about my own issues. Certainly not as bad as his....but I've had my teeth pulled and it doesn't feel good even with an anesthetic.

I thought kicking nicotene was hard, took me 7 years, but the alcohol is even harder.

Back to the book...have you finished? I don't normally read very fast, but I plowed my way through this one.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
      Mauigirl:h

Comment

I liked it in some ways, didn't in other ways. I read it before the hoopla hit and even then some parts did not ring true.

Hazelden (the unnamed treatment center that he never attended) would be guilty of extreme neglect, even malpractice, if some of the stuff he wrote were true.

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Real or not, I found it to be fantastic reading!
          :h :h :h :h

Comment

I read it before the hoopla and loved it. Then when the truth came out about it I wasn't sure how I felt. Kind of disappointed. But then I realized that the facts may have been embellished, but he had to have gone through treatment to have hit the essence of the struggle (and the tx center stuff). I could still realted to a lot of the book.

Comment

Just read it

Read this book in 2 days - fast for me.
              I found it interesting because I relate to the fact that the "12 Step" approach is not for everyone.
              I have never believed in all that higher power stuff.
              I have a friend who spent years sober with AA but then quit.
              He said he just got fed up with thinking/talking about alcohol every day.
              He is till sober - and says alcohol hardly every crosses his mind since he stopped going to the meetings.

I also ready Alan Carr and think his approach to Alcohol as something devastating to get away from rather than something good to miss is really refreshing.

Any other books anyone can rcomend??
              Regards
              Changeling

Comment

James Frey

I read this and really "enjoyed" it. Very gritty. Such a hard detox. Almost wish it was enforced on me. maybe i would be healed by now. I read , after recomendation, Drinking-a love story. Good but no where near got me as Head full of blue-Nick Johnstone. I have a couple of chapters to go of drinkin then I can start "dry" I have loads of books on addiction if anyone is interested..... xxx
                Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

Comment

I just got done with "A Million Little Pieces" today and loved it. Absolutely loved it and may go for a second round. I knew that there was some controversy around the truth of the story and got past that and got in the mind frame that this may be fiction but I know it really could happen. My brother was in rehab, had a relationship with a woman and had some hardcore friends as well. It rang true for me. Also when I get stressed I feel the anxiety (he calls it the "rage")
                  I only wish he would come out with a second one. I highly recommend this one and Dry by Augusten Burroughs.
                  NP
                  "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

My mother mailed me a copy of it almost two years ago... at the time I wonder why? LOL. Anyway, I read it and found some of it good while other parts, RIGHT OUT TO LUNCH!

Like, right off the bat he apparently boarded an airplane all beaten, bloody and pissed drunk/passed out. No airline would let anyone fly in that state. And also the part of the dentistry at the rehab clinic - no anesthetic??? I hardly doubt it. Nobody has all of their teeth yanked without some sort of local anesthetic.

Sorry, this is just my point of view on it. I wasn't surprised when he was exposed as a fraud. I felt sorry for him, as I am sure he had good intentions when writing it. His life was probably simular, but the exaggerations were, in my mind, ridiculous.

Please don't hate me for my view....

Comment

I have just finished reading the book and Accountable, I do agree that an airline would not let someone board like that. I have to say though, that I did really find it foor for thought. I have never even been close to the state he was descibing but it doesn't mean you can't end up there.......and it was a real kick up the ass to keep my resolve.

I can't help but think, even days I after I finished about some of the horror of his experiences.....albeit embellished!

What absolutely devastated me was the fact the Lilly committed suicide on the day he was released from jail.

Apparently, he has released a second book called, "My friend Leonard" which details his life after the rehab. Could be worth reading.
                      Allow yourself to become all that you dreamed you could be..... and more. :banana:

Comment

Hated it! I couldn't stand all the lies.

I think all of the poignant, harrowing, or personal parts of the book were complete fabrications. Not the least of which was his role in a tragic train accident. Also of note are his purported incarcerations and the questionable dental surgery without anesthesia. After discovering all that, I just got tired of all the "I'm such a badass" stories throughout.

I don't think I would have liked it even if I hadn't read The Smoking Gun expose "A Million Little Lies"

Comment

Working...
                        X