Travel Drinking Anxiety - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody. It seems lately I'm a real pest!!! As you may recall when I started two weeks ago, I noted that I was challenged by airport travel. Well, now that I am more aware of my actions and taking note of everything, I realize that it isn't just airport travel, but travel in general also excalates my drinking desires. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice?

We decided to drive before I started this program because we enjoy the changing of the leaves and stopping along the way (at restaurants where I drink), staying over night at friends (where I drink); getting the picture!!! Now that I am on this new program, we thought it might be beter to fly -- it would be thousands of dollars more because of the last minute. So we are definitely driving. We are not staying with friends. We made excuses because I'm not ready to deal with that yet. And I have myself "psyched" to stop at Taco Bell for lunch so that I won't have an option to drink (I love those big taco salads in the bowl). And so, we'll be reaching the hotel just about cocktail/dinner time, which will be perfect. I hope!!!

But I have started packing and I usually drink while I'm packing. It is driving me nuts!! I realllllllllllly want a drink!!! It is Saturday, so I can have a drink during lunch!!! So in the meantime I thought I'd clean to keep my mind off of it; you know, organize stuff (love to do that). Well, guess what? Yep, you guessed it -- I realize that I drink while I'm organizing!!! Let's face it. Until I started this program, I drank while doing practically every mundaine activity. No wonder I enjoyed it so much!!!

So, I'm struggling. Thought I'd post it for several reasons. First, just talking about it helps me fight the urge. Secondly, maybe some of you who have been through this might have some ideas. Third, IF I am successful in getting through this travel prep day without breaking my drinking rules, then maybe it will help others. BIG IF THOUGH!!!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, VERY WELCOME!!!!

MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Good Morning Mighty Mouse,

Boy can I relate to the travel and drinking trigger. It's my turn to relax and I relax by drinking. It's the whole trigger thing and learning new ways to modify our behavior. It sounds like you're doing a really good job and off to a great start!

I don't have any great advice, just maybe to give yourself a break and know that maybe it won't all happen at once and that the small changes you are making now over time will turn into big changes for the future.

You're saving the day one minute at a time and you're changing you're behavior one step at a time

I hope you enjoy your trip!:l

Rachele
    :h :h :h :h

Comment

you mean you can actually get on a plane and not drink.....never heard of suck a thiing. I dont like to fly drinking has always been envolved with anything that even resembles an airport. The money you spent at the airport bar....take it to a gift shop and buy yourself a present! good job in advance

Comment

travel

on a recent trip to a great dentist he used distraction for great effectiveness

i think the trick is you cant use something you are used to doing

you have to do something that your mind will go "huh whats this all about"

when i travel by air i usually check out the bookstores,out of town newspapers,exotic foods ive never had

all for the purpose of distracting myself

Comment

Traveling is a booger -- no doubt! I learned that very quickly. You have to "resolve" ahead of tme what your plan is. Dolnt revel in other addictions. Just stay strong for the night! I am saying thiss on behalf of the
          "my hubby almost did, but didnt" behalf... thank you so much!

Allie
          What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Traveling is a booger -- no doubt! I learned that very quickly. You have to "resolve" ahead of tme what your plan is. Dolnt revel in other addictions. Just stay strong for the night! I am saying this on behalf of the
            "my hubby almost did, but didnt" behalf... thank you so much!

Allie
            What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Working...
            X