religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

religion?

there seem to be an awful lots of christians here...are there any other religions represented on this board

^ athiest with a pagan leaning

:new:

religion?

Hi Tinkerbell,

I would be surprised if this board didn't reflect more diversity than to comes to the surface. I'm something of an ethnic hybrid with roots in Buddhism and non-Christian Unitarianism. After I became a mother and thought about the implications for my child of growing up in a biracial household with no clear identity, I adopted my husband's Judaism. As our child grows, I anticipate that she'll evaluate the tenets of Judaism for herself. Judiasm works for me because of its emphasis on tikkun olam (repair of our world) and because it is a religion that celebrates the seasons and teaches respect for the earth. I don't think I'll ever be an organized religion type person, even though we are raising our daughter as Jewish. My values are finely honed and deeply held, although a few people on this board might feel that I lack values because some of my values are more consistant with an Eastern heritage and, after all, this board is in a Western language!

Eustacia

Comment

religion?

Thanks for pointing this out Tinkerbell. I am a pantheist- meaning there is truth in it all. Standard Christianity without inclusive language feels as uncomfortable me as an AA mtg.

Comment

religion?

Anybody is welcome to share

G'day everyone,

I guess on the point of religion, as the thread mentions, anyone can share whatever they believe. And those who don't believe may also share why they do choose not to.

The fact that many Christians visit this site shows maybe that other faiths may not be so forthcoming with their addictions, maybe partly due to the fact that alcohol is banned under some faiths.

In any case, I think this is a great platform to express oneself - whether Christian or not. Whatever one makes of a posting is up to oneself. And I guess the fact that one quotes the Bible does not directly imply that one tries to be exclusive or talk down to other faiths. It's just that for anybody with a Christian background that would be the source to quote from.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. No offence intended. Just frankly expressing myself.

Best
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

religion?

Merry Meet Tinker....ditto here:welcome:

Comment

religion?

Hi everyone, and ducky too.. (my favorite quack quack by the way!)

I just want to say that I am a Christian, but I HATE what Christians have portrayed -simply put. I just DONT want to be associated with them 99 percent of the time. Not because I dont believe as a Christian, but because of how most of them live it out... it just stinks...gross! My life has NOTHING to do with a "HONK IF YA LOVE JESUS" bumper sticker! :H They should be arrested! No seriously, that is SO superficial. We are real people too and it makes me sick when Christians portray that "Christians have it all together"... we do?? We struggle with the same stuff!

Anyway, I think all of you are awesome.

Allie
            What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

religion?

Hi Allie...same here..it's a shame, because other people don't realize that there is a deep and maybe sub-culture of Christians who have entered the faith very deeply (which far surpasses the common one line interpretations of the 'word')...in my recent return to Christianity I've learned that it was only a few hundred years ago that some of the depth was dropped by 'little men' in the church...including contemplative prayer which very closely resembles Eastern philosophies (with some very important differences and distinctions, but never the less..verly similar).The thing is that you will find the shallow thinkers in every faith and they are usually the loudest! Unfortunately other people listen to them (and believe them) without doing their own homework...so you have a mass distortion...very much a shame because the true meaning is never realized...I 've learned not to judge any church or any religion as a result...'God' speaks to everyone on every level..I believe all paths lead to the ultimate and only one truth..and that whenever any of us try to deduct it into words or doctrines, we WILL perform some kind of blasphemy...because most of us have the slightest capacity to embrace the unbracable...

Comment

religion?

thank you all for replying

Its nice to know I'm not on my own at least!

xxx

Comment

religion?

Hi,

Not a member (yet) to this forum. But have to say...love religious debate.
                  Noted Dilayne's remark about lacking of depth in religion.
                  Personnally I think if we really look at the roots of religion (The Old Testament). Some of us would get really dissapointed and disgusted to what God stands for.
                  A very hateful entity that promoted genocide and favours the Jewish line. Probably why most churches mainly use the New Testament. Only a few passages out of the Old Testament are used such as the commandements.
                  Most religious debates only seem to quote from the New Testament.
                  To me it certainly is a miracle that anyone can follow any religion without questioning it or analysing it.
                  Christianity for example doesn't teach any respect for the world's environment and wildlife. This is something that has been wiped out with the older religions or spiritual philosophies. Budhism, Pagansim, Native American spiritualism etc.
                  Maybe if respect for nature would have been included, the world most likely would have looked a much cleaner and healthier place to live in today?

The Old testament states that we have to fear God?.... This day and age we teach and hope to bring up our children with love not with fear...
                  If a parent hurts or abuses the child, they will be punnished, but according to the OT it is ok to wipe out his own children?
                  The fear of God has been used throughout the ages as a manipulation system. To conquer and to kill. A Power tool. And even today it is still a power tool.

As you can see, personally I don't believe in God but Good. I don't believe in the Devil but Evil. Just a necessary balance needed to sustain live. Positive versus Negative. Yin and Yang...

Anyway, just giving some food for thought....

Love & Light,
                  Raphael

Comment

religion?

G'day Raphael,

Noted. Good points. I personally believe that the labels old and new testament are out of place in any case. Being a linguist myself, having researched Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew, I agree with many fellow researchers that the Bible should be considered in its entirety, rather than on a pick and choose basis. The fact is that the bible is like a library consisting of 66 books. What some label as 'Old Testament' has been written in Aramaic and Hebrew. The 'New Testament' has been written in Greek.

As for your point on fear, I agree. Many people misunderstand this fear to be a morbid fear. Interestingly, though, the original words in Aramaic and Hebrew denote a reverential fear, or a fear to displease. The same word is used in a parental relationship, where a child fears to displease its parents. So the word fear really has a positive connotation.

Anyway, keep the discussion going. An interesting Bible verse as regards to religion can be found in Matthew 7:16-20. It basically states that religion can be recognized by its fruits. Every good tree bears good fruit. Every rotten fruit bears rotten fruit. Unfortunately, most wars going on in the world are fought because of religion.

Best,
                    Paddy
                    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

religion?

very interesting point you bring up about religon. i hope that soon enough, i will have the ability to actually figure that out with a clear head. i am looking forward to getting my drinking under control.i am sure it will open up more time for "real" reflecting...seeing as i have been floating with capt morgan for way too long. i hope this thread is still around when i find myself, because i would love to share my thoughts.

Comment

religion?

Love everyones thoughts here. I have recently became a Christian but am also very sceptical about alot of what they preach. I have decided that I should be able to interpret my own meanings, and have healthy debate with those with other views (instead of being told what I have to believe). As long as we are not hurting others (and that includes the environment and animals as much as we can) and continue to do the best we can to be kind to ourselves and others I think we are all on the right track.

Anyone read "Conversations with God" - there are 3 books, very interesting and helped me with understanding my own religious beliefs.

Hope you are all having a great day

Comment

religion?

This year I've read the bible (well, not read it, but listened to it on DVD) as well as quite a few other writings by modern spiritualist...I kept in mind that the bible was written by men who interpreted the word of God, stories that they had heard...the word, or the message went through men's mind's at the consciousness level that they were at that time. The truth is that many of the apostles didn't get the meaning of the 'word' fully, the depth, they missed the point..if you read Jesus's parables and interpret them with a fully conscious ear, you will probably get much more of the meaning than some of the authors did at the time. Jesus says the same thing that the Buddah says in many instances and many other 'men' who lived that 'God', or 'Goodness' or whatever you want to call 'it'...I believe that we hear from the place of consciousness that we are in...I put off reading the bible for many years for the bad press it gets, it was only when I felt that I could approach it maturely with a discerning ear..one that was willing to look and read between the words themselves, between the lines and beyond the man who scribed a message hundreds of years ago..in a different time and culture than we are in...when I did that, I found great depth in some things, and great mis-interpretations in others. I look for the common thread and am delighted when I find that clue..there is only one truth, or it wouldn't be truth, so when reading any spiritual material, I choose to look for that and discard the rest..because one truth I know for sure, is that we are all human and very very few of us in the history of time has been able to condense the truth in a way that everyone can comprehend it..too many layers of ego, fear..etc.

It's very interesting to read everyone's religious ideas...we all want to know, I think we're all searching for the same thing. It's a shame that people are afraid of discussing it..that it brings up disharmony more than creates harmony. I do like my Episcolian's philosophies..most of the priest I've known and read honor the great mystery and other religions as well.

Comment

religion?

Gonna bump this up as I think it has some good points of discussion.
                            Love
                            Nancy
                            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

religion?

Hi Everyone ,
                              I note all your comments,,I am a committed catholic/ christian who has a realtionship with God .

For me any mention of faith, belief is a natural and integral part of who I am and certainly not meant to be offensive to anybody or used to influence anybody.
                              I cam to this site as i believe my alcohol intake had got to an unacceptable point for me and i needed to consider how to "get a Grip".
                              For me whenever I have a problem i go at it using whatever strategy I can including what comes naturally to me....daily prayer time.

I can only thank so many on this site for their honesty and support and just maybe some people have found it useful to seek spiritual guidance..in whatever format suits them.
                              I am not home and "dry" on this alcohol thing but it sure helps to know i am good enough in God,s eyes and I honestly beleive in the power of prayer.

I have never felt "my way is the only way" hence i come here to share what i have learnt on my journey to moderation/ sobriety(not sure)..and only have enough light to see the next step on the journey.

However i step out in faith and hope and the belief in a loving God who walks the journey with me.

I am sure this sounds Cuckoo , crazy to some people but to me it is how i chose to think/ live.

Whatever your beliefs ..or choice not to believe..i sincerely hope we can continue supporting each other along the journey to whatever our goals are in relation to the booze habit.

Regards Cassy

Comment

Working...
                              X