why do i drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do i drink?

i'm a medical professional, who should know better. i've had several serious health problems related
    to drinking (such as hypertension and even stroke) and i'm still in my forties. yet i still drink! how can i be so stupid?! i know all the reasons to stop, yet i can not.
    [SI:heart: ZE=4][/SIZE]karma

why do i drink?

karma,
    you are not alone.

while i've been here there have been other medical professionals, even a substance abuse counsellor.. you name it its here... professionals think they should be immune to this.. (I know I did) and something in me felt I had to tell people that I was professional because it showed my internal disgust at what I was doing to myself.

knowing why to stop doesent make you stop.. wanting is a beginning and then finding the determination. also for me, putting it into writing and disclosing it (to others, but mainly to myself) was a big step.

sounds like you are on your way...
    you CAN stop.
    good luck
    brigid

Comment

why do i drink?

Hi Karma,

I know how you feel. I am studying nutrition and always lecturing my friends about putting bad foods into their bodies, and then I abuse my body with alcohol. I get so disappointed with myself.

But I KNOW I can beat this as I KNOW you can also. We are all here together to help each other. I just joined this site together and have ordered the books and the cd's. I am going to give moderation a go first and see how I go with that.

Good luck and stay strong.

Comment

why do i drink?

Hi Karma,

Here's one more of the group 'those who teach can't do'. I had been active in the field of drug control and substance abuse prevention. Well, hello, here I am abusing alcohol. It's no excuse, but on the other hand it should be easier for us to understand that WE have a problem and look into a strategy to get out of it.

Most people I know (including my folks who are full of alcohol problems) don't want to realize that they have a problem. But the fact that you're honest to yourself means that it's a first step.

Anyway, not much of an encouragement, but hang in here.

Rgds
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

why do i drink?

Karma-
          It's not stupidity, it's addiction. I'm also a health professional and "know better". There are many of us here on this site. Even if they're not in medicine, there are some brilliant minds here...All here for the same reason.
          Join us. We're on a journey together to learn how best to handle this-whether it's total abstinence or moderation.
          Tumadre
          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
          Plato

Comment

why do i drink?

thank you for your support! all the words of encouragement mean so much and are so helpful. this is the first time i'm admitting "out loud" that it's a problem. knowing there are other people that understand will help me overcome this, i'm certain.
            [SI:heart: ZE=4][/SIZE]karma

Comment

why do i drink?

Welcome Karma,

Great name! Ditto to what has been said. We all know better and some of us would never think to abuse our bodies in other ways including eating habits. What's up with that?!!

congrats on making it here, I hope you go for the program it has given me back my life!

Peace and Hugs,
              Mary

Comment

why do i drink?

I am a medical practitioner too. Used to feel like you. Now i know likeany one elseI can stop drinking and have on and off for yearsnwo. Done yhe AAbit,but not for me. My last drink was1 week ago. 4 years ago i lost my job through drinking. I thought I could never stop. i havn't. But my life has turned around and i feel good that i do have a choice. Sometimes i drink and sometimes not.i am back in the medical world with a good job.. Hope you canmake the choice too

Comment

why do i drink?

willow

Hi there

First post!

I have been through alot in the past year... I suppose we all have.. but unfortunatly I have turned to alochol!

Makes me feel better for a while and then I just want to carry on!

I know I need to stop, but I have been signed off work with acute stress, and since this has accured have been drinking in the day.

Anyone else relate?

Wxx

Comment

why do i drink?

Why do I drink?

Aloha All:

This seems like the first true and honest conversation I have seen on this site! I'm in the healthcare field as well. Why do I drink? Because I'm so busy helping people feel good all day, then I have to come home, be a mom, wife, dog walker, housekeeper, laundry lady, personal shopper, etc....who makes me feel good when I get home?

My first glass of wine is the best, but then after that, it's all a blurrrrrrrrrr! I haven't had a drop now for 6 days and to tell you the truth, I'm starting to feel a little bit good!

I got the book, start-up pack of herbs, vites, and cd, and this time I'm determined to stop. If not for myself, for my husband and daughter. I want them to be proud of me.

How did I get to this point in my life? Drinking is suppose to be sociallly acceptable, but not the way I do! Last weekend was the last straw. My best friend from High School was here with his girlfriend and I drank so much, I don't remember some conversations we had. It's scarey to me to think I let myself go like that! It's like hitting rock bottom and there is no where to go from there, but up.

I'm so glad I found this website! I can relate to so many of the stories! Have a great weekend and know that you CAN to this for yourself, but...you are not by yourself!

Keep the Faith,
                    Mauigirl:yay:

Comment

why do i drink?

:welcome: Mauigirl, willow, dolly and karma and Faye!
                      We can all relate to your story as well! Nice to have so many health care professionals here! I am an RN myself and have been on this site for 11 months. I encourage you to join either the Abs board or the Moderation board, depending on your goal. Really the best way to stay accountable and to get to know people. Read and post often! Looking forward to getting to know all of you! All the best, Gina:l

Comment

Working...
                      X