Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, November 6th

Good Morning All!

I hope you all had a good weekend. Sorry you forgot to buckle your own seatbelts, Paddy, but you're doing good to buckle them now! Good luck this week!

Instead of cleaning and moving furniture, I ended up going through my finances to get things together to apply for financial aid for Maddy yesterday. Tedious, but at least I got to watch the Redskins win on TV. That part was fun.

I'm still very tired at 200 mg topa. I'm not as forgetful, but I'm finding that even with a little nap in the afternoon, I can hardly keep my eyes open past 10 in the evening. Yikes! I do need to get out and exercise more. I know that will help. It is hard doing everything you need to do, plus working too!

Speaking of which, I need to get moving and start my day.

Have a good one to everyone getting ready to post!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Monday, November 6th

Good Morning Kathy thanks for the start - Hi ya Absville and Everyone Else

Hope you all have a good AF week

S

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Aloha Absville! This is my second day in Hawaii. And I'm only slightly sunburned.

I gotta tell ya, I understand now why they call this "paradise." The air is sweet with the smell of flowers and ocean breezes, the sound of the surf is always in the background, and the temperature is always perfect.

Yesterday morning I got up just as the sky was turning from black to grey to pink, and I could see the ocean from my window. I sat on my balcony for a few minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore. I just HAD to go for a walk. So I took a LONG walk down the beach, toward Diamond Head. There's a path, where you are walking in sort of a park, and can see the beach on one side and trees on the other, and don't have to struggle walking in the sand.

Anyway I walked far enough down, got a coffee, sat for a while in the sun, and started back. I saw a group of people gathered in the park with someone in the middle speaking, and I wondered what was going on. I went over to check it out. It was an outdoor beachfront AA meeting!! Talk about coincidence, or providence, or syncronicity. I stayed and listened. It was a good AA meeting -- lots of good positive energy and encouragement about staying sober. Lots of people, maybe 60 I would guess. And what a setting! The beach and the surf just over there, and we were under huge trees with tropical birds. I kept looking at the birds thinking that they were either listening to us, or that they were somehow God's angels watching over us. (Corny, huh?) They did seem to be making eye contact, though.

My point is that here I was on my first morning in Hawaii, and I run right into an AA meeting. I take it as a reminder that my disease is with me wherever I go, and I need to be constantly on the watch for it. (Especially when I am on vacation or at a conference, when it's socially acceptable to let your hair down a little.....) I mean, people have already suggested having a Mai Tai. But nope, I will stick with iced tea or lemonade, thank you!! It was at my last conference in Las Vegas when I had my last drink. This time is going to be different.

Ok I better go get ready for the day. Another day in Paradise. Although today is going to include conference sessions....

Hope you all have a great AF day!!

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Mon., Nov 6

Good morning all --

Hope everyone made it through the weekend and enjoyed it. I'm in a much better frame of mind now that the munchkins are gone home. They are exhausting and very frustrating, yet cute at the same time. They make me feel a gamut of emotions. Love, insanity, etc.

Kathy - Its no fun getting the financials in order but worth it once it is done. Helped my brother with that and its amazing what you can get if you are prepared and do a little research. So good work! (And I was cheering for Washington too yesterday (but for different reasons...)

Janet - I reread the posts from yesterday and I would be outraged as well. How irresponsible those parents are. I would think it makes it even harder if they are friends. Its not who I would want looking after my kids. That kind of clear-seeing moment really brings an awareness of how dangerous alcohol can be.

Macks - Hope the vehicle gets up and running

Lizzie and Lou - I know I don't really know you but glad you are back! I look forward to getting acquainted with you and everyone else here!

Mike - Paradise sounds wonderful! I am so happy your day started in such a peaceful and positive manner. Enjoy!

Have a good day all!
        Hawk

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Cheers Kathy, still going strong despite the setback ... Where there's a will, there's a way ... There's always a light at the end of the tunnel (even if turns out to be a train, ha, ha).

Good day to Absville. Mike, enjoy Hawaii. And watch the earthquakes ... No kidding mate. We had two taiphoons hitting Viet Nam recently, and it was not funny, to say the least. Just a little reminder that it's always good to be sober at times like these, grin ...

Best
          Paddy
          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Just a quick HI.

Paddy- good for you for getting right back in there. Really...that is so good. I think so often when we slip it takes awhile to get back up there. So good for you!
            Anyway...hello to everyone. Mike - Hawaii sounds truly inspiring the way you describe it. I'm not much of a beach person (I'm part Irish and mostly just get burned on a beach!), but the way it sounded makes me want to fly out there right now! Enjoy your time there.
            Kathy - good luck with the financial aid...persistance counts
            Hawk...hope you have a relaxing day today!
            Gotta run...

Lisa

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Just checking in. After I bashed our weather yesterday today is a sunny 55! (Not that Hawaii doesn't sound better!) I guess my exercise today will be more garden clean up.

Lisa, I am a studio potter (clay on a wheel), so no Santas in my plans - just some holiday bowls and platters for gifts. Also, like others who live by well known landmarks, we tend to go only when out of town people visit. Too bad we don't enjoy our own area more...

Hope it is a lovely day in ABSville.

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Hey everyone..just a quick fly by to say HI! Mike, where in Hawaii are you...I'd be tempted to go to AA meetings if I could find one like 'that'...:0)

3 weeks AF today..and feeling fine. Be back in a bit if I can.
                Have a great 'feel good' day!
                d

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Lady Di, you bet, I'd go to an AA meeting on the beach too, especially if I could sit and not have to speak.
                  How is your retreating going with your hubby?
                  Kris, wish I had a friend like you could whip me up a platter! How fun, and do you fire the stuff at your home?
                  Lisa, sun burn, no problem, just wear one of those huge brimmed hats, or sit under an umbrella.
                  Yeah Paddy, you are right about being sober at times like this. I went to Hawaii once, and can't recall much besides the exotic drinks.
                  Hawk, your aviator makes me sad. Are you still crying?
                  Kathy, how many hours sleep a night are you getting? Are you sure it's the topa that's making you tired?
                  I am hoping to connect with you all, because I am in the early stages of Abs, and really need support.
                  Good Day you all.
                  Hugs, Mona
                  Meow-Meow
                  MonaKitty

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Mona, platters are no problem - I like plates and platters best. I am currently firing my work at a friend's but have a kiln on order. I use to go to a studio but the firing there was too inconsistent.

I can't believe that tomorrow will be a week! At this point AF is becoming a bit easier than my other goal - junk food free. Maybe starting a whole foods diet and AF at once was too ambitious - but I am trying to hang in there. Wish I would get some positive feedback from the scale...

Comment

Monday, November 6th

I'm envious Kris--I only have the minimum experience with throwing pots, and I loved it, but that was many, many years ago! I'm glad that you are getting your own kiln! And bravo on one week AF!!! What an accomplishment! Maybe you can wait another week or two before starting on the junk food--it is hard to cut it all out at once!

MonaCat, keep on posting, you'll be one of us in no time. Thanks for asking--I am pretty much getting enough sleep these days, usually at least 7-8 hours a night. What can we do to help you with ABS, MonaCat--just let us know.

It's great to hear you feeling so good, Dilayne!

Yes, Lisa, the financial aid is going to be a delicate issue....how do you explain to a university that your ex lived overseas for years, owes you tons of money, can't get his tax returns because he owes his Polish accountant money, blah, blah, blah??:H Oh well, I will brazen it out somehow. Maddy is rather discombobulated about the whole thing and fears that she won't be going to Boston University after all. She'll be going if she has the grades and I have anything to say about it!:crossed:

Paddy, I'm glad you're "back in the saddle"!

Hawk, I'm glad you survived the grandkids yesterday. They are rambunctious these days. I've brought up my daughter to speak her mind (she's 17) but believe me, sometimes I wish she would keep her mouth shut! Fortunately, she is now at the age where she does come back and apologize, and it makes a world of difference. I agree with Mona--I find myself wanting to wipe your tear away.

Aloha, Mike!!! What serendipity for you to find an AA meeting on the beach! I mean WOW! And obviously, you found an internet connection as well. I'm glad I don't have to do without my Mike for too long...wish I was there with you--heck! I wish we ALL were there with you, although you probably wouldn't get a heck of a lot done...

Good to hear from you Farmeress. Where are you located, love? Tell us more about what you are doing these days.

Anyway, I take Maddy for some blood tests tomorrow.:crossed: Otherwise, it's business as usual. I'm finding myself having some cravings. It's my sister being here. She doesn't cause them, but it's just the difference in my lifestyle. I've been whining for so long about being alone, so here I am not alone anymore, and what do I want to do? Drink! It's weird. But so far, I've been successful in resisting it. I have to get used to having a new routine. Other than that, it is really nice having her here.

Where are all of our British friends today???

Hugs,

Kathy:l
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Hi everybody,
                        Drove into the city this morning at 4:00am.......It's been a long day!
                        My brother had eye surgery and is fine. I cleaned his house all afternoon and am wiped out! Why do single men make such a mess???

Any who..time for a bath and some rest here!!! I wish I were on a beach!

Love to all.
                        Nancy:l
                        AF
                        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Thanks Mona and Kathy for wanting to wipe away my tears. Unfortunately, I still have quite a bit left and they shed frequently.:upset: But I am trying to stop them! Thanks for the concern.
                          Hawk

Comment

Monday, November 6th

Good Evening All,
                            I just lost my post in which I had addressed everyone!!!I'm so mad!!! And now I don't have time!!!!!
                            I had some really strong cravings tonight.My mind was whizzing and it seemed to me for a while that the only thing that would stop the incessant chatter of my brain was a glass of wine. Why would I want to stop the chatter of my own mind?????
                            It passed so tomorrow day 10!! Hey Lisa, we're into the double digits!!!!!
                            I'll address everyone tomorrow but I'm thinking of each and every one of you.
                            Have to go and listen to my son practice his public speaking....The only thing worse than that is listening to him flub his lines in front of a full auditorium.

See you tomorrow
                            Janet

Comment

Monday, November 6th

:yay: :wd: I actually said YEA! out loud when I read your post Janet! Good for you! That made me happy.

For some reason I'm having a little better time this go around. Practice makes perfect maybe??
                              Or maybe exercise really does help. I don't know, but I am happy to wake up to AF day 10 in the morning.

Oh....and tomorrow I meet my trainer at 6am - I'm just getting over being sore from my last training session on Thur!

Good wishes for everyone for this week. And if you are in the US remember to get to the polls tomorrow. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow here so it will be a messy wait in line...but I'm going anyway..

Good night All!

Macks - I sure hope you aren't stuck on the side of the road somewhere...where are you?

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X