Bible scriptures referring to Alcohol abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, there are many friends on this website who do not subscribe to any faith, or may be atheists, or other, it is interesting what the Bible has to say about alcohol abuse.

Some wine, is obviously beneficial:

1 Timothy 5:23 Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.

This was the apostle Paul's admonition to Timothy, who was somehow suffering from a stomach ailment.

Yet, interestingly, there are a number of scriptures cautioning against alcohol abuse (NOT prohibiting the use of alcohol, as some Christian groups infer):

Proverbs 20:1: Wine is a ridiculer, intoxicating liquor is boisterous, and everyone going astray by it is not wise.

Proverbs 23:20, 21: Do not come to be among heavy drinkers of wine, among those who are gluttonous eaters of flesh.For a drunkard and a glutton will come to poverty, and drowsiness will clothe one with mere rags.

Proverbs 23:29 - 35: 29 Who has woe? Who has uneasiness? Who has contentions? Who has concern? Who has wounds for no reason? Who has dullness of eyes? 30*Those staying a long time with the wine, those coming in to search out mixed wine. 31*Do not look at wine when it exhibits a red color, when it gives off its sparkle in the cup, [when] it goes with a slickness. 32*At its end it bites just like a serpent, and it secretes poison just like a viper. 33*Your own eyes will see strange things, and your own heart will speak perverse things. 34*And you will certainly become like one lying down in the heart of the sea, even like one lying down at the top of a mast. 35*?They have struck me, but I did not become sick; they have smitten me, but I did not know it. When shall I wake up? I shall seek it yet some more.?

It's interesting that Ephesians 5:18 admonishes not to be getting drunk, but, as it puts it: Also, do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but keep getting filled with spirit. (of course not meaning SPIRITS, but more so, nurturing spiritual needs in ourselves, meditating about life, the purpose of life, and the like.

Anyway, so far to the spiritual side of matters...

Love and peace,
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Paddy,

I agree wholeheartedly....my struggle is with alcoholism and over consumption time and time again. That's why I'm here, I just keep on getting filled with spirits:H

How I wish I could have just one glass of wine for the sake of my stomach and be done. Ahhhhh and my world keeps spinning........

Glad to see you today, Paddy
    :h :h :h :h

Comment

Thanks Paddy! I'm with you Imagine!
      d

Comment

Working...
      X