Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September Mod Squad

Hi gang,

Couldn't rack my brain for a cool name this time. Just wanted to start a Sept. thread to say hi to all of my buddies.

I'm hanging in there. School is busy and it's hard to find the time to post here but I think of all of my mod squad friends and want to stay in touch.

My story is continued misuse with alcohol at times.

Still not maintaining my goal of no more than 2 at all times. Yet, because it becomes only 3 or 4 so intake for the week isn't horribly over moderate levels per the National Institute for Alcoholism - I still continue to choose to drink as the majority of time I can keep within my goal of no more than 2 with usually no more than 7 per week.

Yet it still bothers me those times that I can't control it as I know that's one of the criteria for dependency and it continues to plague me.

Very late, but can't sleep so thought I'd touch base with my progress. We'll just keep on keeping on.
    :l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

September Mod Squad

Hi Eve,
    Just a quick pop in to see how you are doing:-)
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hello all.

Back from a glorious vacation, which was predominantly moderate... I lost focus a bit in the last few days, not getting in my AF days (which DH and I had already agreed we may not do anyway), but I don't like drinking more than 2 or 3 days in a row anymore. Especially since it was 4 drinks, perhaps 5, for several consecutive evenings. Blech. So I have to make a point of re-establishing that pattern. Yes, I guess we will just keep on keeping on!

*special wave to DeeBee*
      "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

September Mod Squad

Checking in after a long time Mod Squad. I'm still attempting the Mod Squad Route. It's still a battle for sure. Sound familiar to anyone?
        Well summers over here in Canada.I've had an awesone time at out summer cottage. Too much food and beer though. Controls I thought I thought I had in place, faltered a few times.Time to get back to reality of work and moderate drinking.
        So the demlema for today is to buy beer or not.I kinda feel bad about not having a beer in the fridge for my husband at the end of his days work.. He does not have the same problem as me with the overwheming craving for more beers after he has had one or two. Anways well see how the evening unfolds???? will I go without, mix my beer with club soda, or weaken- and have a beer or two and fight the battle of craving more. Was able to beat the monkey on my back last night. Thats what gave me the idea of checking in here with a blog. Good luck Mod Squad.

Comment

September Mod Squad

He everyone, and welcome wannabee.

It's pretty quiet around here - I sort of feel like I'm talking to myself out loud, but I actually do that when I'm alone and trying to work something out (or memorize for school). So here goes.

I did a number of AF days after getting back from holidays just to not have a "going back to square one" experience. So I'm good about that, back on track. I'm gonna make a huge confession here: I'm still not completely happy with the hold that drinking has over my mind. Don't get me wrong - the inner conversations of whether to drink or not no longer happen, and I'm pretty sanguine about my routine, but still... I'd like to kick it down a notch, to warp a phrase. I'd like 12 drinks a week to be a maximum at all times. I know, I know, it's more than "recommended", but all those recommendations are a little daunting: if I ate 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies (not just lettuce and grapes, either) plus 5+ servings of whole grains a day, I wouldn't have time for anything else. Plus all that exercising I'm s'posed to be doing. In fact, if I made my vet truly happy and brushed the pets' teeth 2-3 times a day, I'd have to retire to part time work. So.... max 12 for this little modder. It's time!

Thanks for listening (anyone who actually is
          !)

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hi everyone,

Well, I had a first. I absolutely didn't have a desire for a drink last Saturday because it was "Saturday".

The week-ends have always been my excuse to think I need a drink and it was just plain nice to not feel that way.

Last night we went to dinner and had 2 drinks (2 and I'm through is my goal). Hubby didn't want to finish his 2nd drink. Drank 1/3 and said "I don't want to finish this." In the old days I would have said "I'll finish it". But, I had no desire to do so.

Sunbeam has always said the less you drink the easier it is to battle those cravings (not in those words but that's the jist of it) and she's probably right. Last Saturday I thought "this is no special occasion (s.o.). We're just staying home spending a quiet evening so why do I need to open a bottle of wine?" No s.o. so I didn't!! Felt so great the next day too - slept well, was motivated to hop out of bed and GO!

Was invited to a free drinks and appetizers at a bar tonight for a co-worker. Somehow, my sons took priority over drinking. It starts at 5:30 which is pick up time from sports and they need dinner. How and why do I want to fit drinking in over them?

Yes, Sunbeam, the occasional thing works much better than the mod thing. Hope I can keep doing it.

((( )))
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

September Mod Squad

hi y'all
              it has been quiet around here for sure. i still check the boards and lurk almost everyday. it's good to see you all checking in as well.

CG - i hear you about "square one". I went gone 2 weeks without an AF day this summer a couple of times and always felt like i was close to the back to square one thing. I tell myself that i don't want to get back there when i'm talking myself out of an AF day. 12 drinks a week is not much if you ask me.
              i think in france or spain that would be totally moderating. not sure about canada, but the US attaches morality to drinking and i think that is why the US "standard" is so low. not that it's bad to drink less, i'm just sayin....

eve, sounds like you are doing great. it's on a smaller scale, but if i go AF on Monday, it makes an AF Tuesday a lot easier. so, i'm sure sunbeam is on to something.

i've been doing ok. i went AF friday and saturday night last weekend. i couldn't believe it. i was pretty darn proud of myself. i can't remember the last time i didn't drink on the weekend. i think it was when i had a hysterectomy and was in the hospital over the weekend, 2 years ago!
              i had planned on friday night, so i conquered that. then saturday, i ended up with heat exhaustion(headache, fatique, vomit). and i worked through it, and i kept thinking, i was going to have a beer tonight, but now i don't feel good, and i'm probably dehydrated, so i shouldn't. but i want to. it was a struggle, but in the end, i chose not to. even when i felt better and was watching a football game and my hubby was having a beer.

so, i guess i've made some progress. it's slow going, but i see it now.
              i'm so glad.

thanks to all of you.

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hi Let Go - I completely agree with you. N. Americans have a strange relationship with drinking (among many other things!). The constant advertising, the fact that governments make huge amounts of money from the tax revenue (don't get me started on gov't revenue from gambling!!!!). And then the horrible stigma attached to losing control over this potentially highly addictive substance. And there's the guilt thing: have you ever noticed that the people who really should feel guilty, don't, and good people are often consumed with guilt over very trivial human actions and behaviours... Weird. :huh:

Eve - Way to go. I do believe that you are onto something (and of course Sunbeam, too). It's probably a lot like kicking the white sugar/white flour thing - cutting down simply perpetuates the cycle. Occasional is definitely my ultimate goal.

That all being said, I'm in for a very moderate October. The days I don't have early classes, I have really
                early fieldwork. And that is truly out-in-a-field, rain, snow or shine, at 7am. :shocked: I need a very clear head for all that.

Comment

Working...
                X