What is withdrawal actually like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course this depends heavily on the person, but I mean Minor withdrawal, without needing high doses of Valium every hour until stable, that you have done at home. I felt very relaxed going to be at 9pm, but although I had some very funny closed eye visuals (not dreams, I was awake) early, I hardly slept at all.

Today I merely feel very week and tired, and had a brief temptation but luckily the bottle store was still closed. I am now only tempted to get some Valium to replace the Librium. The latter slowed me down too much. Otherwise I don't feel much.

Hi Brady,
    Don't think we've met so :welcome:

Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms

Have a look at the above link. The not sleeping or only sleeping a few hours are completely normal for the first week or so.

Hope this helps.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi JackieClaire. Thanks for the welcome! I was actually hoping to get some accounts of people's own experiences here. Some seem to have had a very rough time, while others only seemed to have missed the company of their booze.

Comment

I have to say,Brady, I did the a home de-tox with diazapm/valium as I needed medical help to get through the first couple of days. If you've been drinking as long and prolonged as I had, it's very dangerous just to stop cold turkey.
        Their are quite a few that have done it the non-medical way and I'm sure they'll stop by with their experiences.
        J x
        :l
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Sleep

Sheri;960392 wrote: Hi Brady & :welcome:
          The symptoms I had were similar to those I had every morning with a hangover only they lasted about 3-4 weeks. Of course, my hangovers lasted 30 years, so 3-4 weeks of feeling foggy and tired and headachy and shakey was really nothing in comparison.

Wow, I've done withdrawal before, but they've been more than a day or two. That's probably because I did then after only a few weeks of drinking. I fear that may have visited the kindling effect on me, beause I get symptons very easily, e.g. drink for two days and on the third I'm quite bad. Until Saturday I used to fix that with a breakfast beer.:H

Sheri;960392 wrote:

I did not use any of the prescription medications because I was worried about my liver at the time, but I certainly would have considered it if what I was doing didn't work. Luckily for me, it did.

Best wishes on your journey.

Sheri
          Thanks. I'm going to try get a few Xanax tomorrow though - I feel very mentally immobilised by anxiety. BTW, for sleep issues I just Phenergan (promethasine) or Somnil (doxylamine succinate), both quite harmless sedating anti-histamines. Normally about I week after no alcohol I can sleep without them.

Comment

BK......withdrawals can be a bitch...you can be a bitch ! You'll be irreatable, shakey and have some sweats. Sleeping will be a blast too ! May I suggest taking herbals......( Evening Primrose Oil, Milk Thistle, Kudzu, L-Glutamine ) This treatment will help your cravings and help your body to recover and calm you down at this time........IAD
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD;960655 wrote: BK......withdrawals can be a bitch...you can be a bitch ! You'll be irreatable, shakey and have some sweats. Sleeping will be a blast too ! May I suggest taking herbals......( Evening Primrose Oil, Milk Thistle, Kudzu, L-Glutamine ) This treatment will help your cravings and help your body to recover and calm you down at this time........IAD
              Thanks dude. I think half of what makes me a bitch is being so tired. I am taking Milk Thisle, Vit C, thiamine, B6, and...Minamno syrup (that has nearly everything ever fund in a body, even spleen and liver extract. But I'lll get some L-Glutamine, had a good read on it today. My shakes and sweats have stopped and I have no craving.

I'll try kudzu if I decided to moderate after this month, they say it reduces cravings by affectiving the pleasure centre associated with alcohol. I.E is actually more effective when you drink at stopping you craving more.

Comment

Add Evening Primrose Oil........it will calm you down....Good luck Hon ! Tony
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Evening Primrose Oil

IAD;960775 wrote: Add Evening Primrose Oil........it will calm you down....Good luck Hon ! Tony
                  I just got some, and told the girl at the store what it was for. She seemed quite knowledgeable about detox and was concerned if I was getting enough B suppliments as well. She said I could take quite a bit more than the recommended dose and just get a nicer skin.

How much should I take and how often?

Comment

Working...
                  X