Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday, November 8

Good morning everyone!

I just wanted to jump on and start a thread for the day. I don't have anything profound to start with, but it is always good to have a thread for the day. Gets the discussion going, at least. Gives people a place to "check in."

Speaking of checking in, today I am checking out of my hotel and going on a tour around the island of Oahu. They call it the Royal Circle Island Tour. The whole time I've been here (until last night's luau) I was here at the hotel or within 1/2 mile along the beach in front, so I wanted to get an idea of the lay of the land before I have to go. We are supposed to see rain forest, the famous North Shore beaches, pineapple and sugar plantations, the set of Jurassic Park, and more.

So, out of my experience here today, two thoughts come to mind related to my sobriety.

First, I am exploring new territory. When I was drinking, or even when I was trying to quit but not committed to staying sober, I was stuck in old familiar territory. I wasn't expanding my horizons. I knew where a drink would take me. It wasn't a good place, but at least I knew where it was. And even after I supposedly decided to abstain I would "slip" over and over and over again -- and why was that? Many reasons perhaps, but one of the reasons was that it kept me in familiar territory. I knew I was psychologically safe in the land of drink. Or the land of quitting drinking. I did not know what to expect on the other side. (Emotions, for one thing -- and how to deal with those??) Anyway, this trip to Hawaii and this tour of the island are symbolic to me of my newfound sobriety. Since I have made the commitment to stay sober long term, and have accepted the fact that drinking (including having slips) is simply NOT an option, I have found myself in truly undiscovered country. Sure, it is a little bit scary, but what isn't? It is also unbelievably beautiful.

The second thought that comes to mind is very simple. I just want to savor every moment of this sober life, just as I am this time on a tropical isle.

Blessings,

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Wednesday, November 8

Hi Mike, thanks for starting the thread. My daughter lived on Oahu a few years ago when she was in the army. We went to visit..actually in October 2003 (I believe). Beautiful!!! I loved Hanauma Bay..we spent a whole day there and snorkeled. Enjoy..be as a child with your new lenses!
    bbl

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

Its quiet in here.
      shhhhhhhhhh
      place of reflection is ok.
      Brigid

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

I know what you mean for me it's like I'm exposing myself in this new territory. In reality I was more exposed by being blitzed, but numbing myself so I didn't care. It's really difficult to explain, I'm enjoying life more now and feel free and excited to experience what comes my way in my new frame of mind, but at the same time apprehensive. It's those past wounds of failing that are still hanging around and guess and I still scare myself. I know I'm shocked beyond belief on how well I'm doing and feeling.

I want to go to Hawaii - sigh maybe someday.

Enjoy!
        spacie

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

opps it was quiet...I'm tip toeing away.

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

Katesm, I am covering my ears..wow, your Ba-boom, just made it to Arizona, and shook the cactus, I mean the cacti (plural).Nighty-nite you all. Let's all have "Sweet Dreams" about being in Hawaii...Aloha, Mona Cat
            Meow-Meow
            MonaKitty

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

She's back!!!!!
              but what happened to my moment?

At times like that Kate, I need Neils space machine to help me deal with the consequences!!!

Neil.. enjoy any space travel you do today... I might meet you there in my meditations.
              Brigid

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

I've been there

Sorry if that sounds presumptious but I come from the UK and visited those gorgeous islands summer last. However, I am not sober and would love to be. I did see it through the eyes of the teenager I was when I vowed I'd go but need the serenity of the place to see me through. How did you start out? What do I do? Help!

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

Hanauma Bay was absolutely beautiful! Wish I had had the time to go snorkeling. But I'll have to put that on the agenda for next time..... I'm determined that there WILL be a next time!

There's a big wide world out there waiting to be seen. And I'm more likely to get off my butt and go do it if I'm not stuck in an alcoholic rut.
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Wednesday, November 8

Hi Kona, and welcome --

I'm in an airport right now and have to sign off soon. So I don't have time to write a lengthy reply.

The short answer is: stick around this website, read a lot of posts, ask a lot of questions. Read the My Way Out book (as it outlines the program) and see how the program might fit for you. It took me a couple of tries, but it is possible to quit drinking if you really want to. There are lots of people here who can offer support and encouragement; we've all been through the hell of alcohol abuse.

I wish you the best and hope you'll stick around. Take good care~

Aloha!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X