Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, November 9th

Greetings and salutations:

Tonight is cardio night. Going to do the inside exercise bike, as it?s too dark to ride outside, which is a shame. The weather is almost like September right now, instead of November.

Made some interesting progress in the past two or three days. I?ve been listening to the NLP audio program again, and new things are being apparent. It?s strange, that I can listen to it a few times, and put it aside for a month or two, and then upon listening again, it?s as if I completely spaced out certain things. It?s like I could swear that these are not the same tapes that I heard two months ago. Somebody must have stolen them, recorded different stuff, and then put them back in my CD wallets.

This just tells me that as I become more aware, and my mental facilities clear up and become sharper, that my cognitive abilities are improving. This is healing at its root level, and is further encouragement. Now approaching the 11 months mark next week, and yet new improvements in new ways are becoming manifest.

So I have no real topic here. It?s just an observation, that expansion into new areas is an ongoing process. It?s not like I figured in the beginning that if I could only make it to six months, I would have it all straightened out. Far from it. The stories that scare the crap out of me, are the ones of people being abstinent for 2, 3, 4 years, and then crashing back into the depths of alcohol misery. So I have to ask myself everyday, ?What would cause this to happen in my case??, and then try my best to build a shield or a defense.

The main work right now is digging into the psychological make-up. It?s like the exercise in a lot of ways. One can go great guns for a short period, and then burn out, and quit altogether. I know deep down in my case, that this is the beginning of the slide back into despair. So it is with the self-analysis work. It?s gets to be tedious and painful if done with unforgiving regimental rigor, and the burn out soon occurs. So a certain amount of flexibility must be built into the system.

So I?m going to paraphrase Forrest Gump a bit here, and come up with a new slogan for myself. Sober is, as sober does.

Be well,

Neil

Thursday, November 9th

Run Forest run, I know what you mean for instance Robin Williams sober for 20 years and then slips makes you wonder what triggered and caught him off guard.

I'm soaking in the wealth of information you and others are sharing in re-wiring the brain and self analysis. When I'm ready to move on to that phase I'll probably have more questions than anyone will want. I know myself well enough not to start too many things or I will crash and burn. I'm sticking to dealing with my new emotional state, keeping on track, making sure I eat regular meals, taking the supplements and exercise. I found out if I don't eat regular meals my cravings come hard and fast. It's from all the years of not eating so my buzz would be the best - it's a sure trigger for me.

tah tah for now,
    spacie

Comment

Thursday, November 9th

Hi spacie:

I just had a great session on the bike.

Hit the target, at 134 beats per minute average heart rate. 20 minutes exactly.

3 minute warm-up, and 3 minute cool down. Broke a good sweat, and feel like I did exactly the right amount for once. Not too much, and not too little.

Tonights menu is going to be massive salad greens. They started putting the baby spinach back on the shelves a week or so ago, and I really missed it during the spinach scare.

When I was drinking, I would eat a salad only a couple of times a month. Now it's several times a week, and I like those bagged pre-mixed greens. I'll mix the field greens, with the romaines, and the baby spinach. Then some soy bacon bits, a little lemon-pepper seasoning, and whatever dressing I feel like at the time.

Much better than Taco Bell burritos and a bag of cookies. One great thing, is that my little pot belly is slowly going bye-bye!

Comment

Thursday, November 9th

Hi all,
        Sounds like you have things on track Neil. You mentioned a few days ago about how working on yourself its like you think you have opened the last door to find it only opens to another chamber of doors inside. I've been cruising outside what I thought (well, I knew it wasnt, but I hoped it was) one of my last doors... but... guess what... another 24 doors inside that... only for me, I do it in caves!!!!! so you are in space and I'm underground!!!

Best thing about this work is I'm not frightened by it anymore. Sure it can be tiring.. but geesh, its so worth it....

When I think how messed up I was last year its like it was another person... and in part it was. I feel like I've changed my DNA on some issues, the change is so deep (caves are like that!!) However, I must not forget that I still have work to do...

So i'm getting on with it.
        Brigid

Comment

Working...
        X