My Utmost For His Highest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Utmost For His Highest

This is one of my favorite short devotionals to read each day. It comes in an updated language version also.Nancy:l

What do people read in your life?

"Your lives are a letter written in our hearts, and everyone can read it and recognize our good work among you. 2 Corinthians 3:2 NLT
    "

My Utmost for His Highest

"Oswald Chambers was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1874, the son of a Baptist minister.

Chambers and his wife Gertrude, known to all as Biddy, were dedicated to a life of ministry. When World War I broke out, they were sent by the YMCA to minister to English and Australian troops stationed in Egypt. They set up "study huts", places where soldiers could come and relax?and hear teaching from the Bible. In Zeitoun, up to 400 packed in each night to hear him, and hundreds came to Christ. In 1916, the YMCA planned evangelistic crusades throughout all of the Egyptian military camps with Chambers as evangelist.

On October 17, 1917, Chambers returned from a Wednesday night prayer meeting feeling ill. Within two weeks, his appendix had been removed. Chambers began to recover, but on November 4 he developed a blood clot, and on November 15, 1917
    , he died.

Chambers had written just one book before he died, Baffled to Fight Better, but he kept a journal. Biddy was a trained stenographer and had taken down word for word many of his hundreds of messages.

Several years after Oswald's death, Biddy began editing his material into 365 daily readings and named it My Utmost for His Highest. She completed it in 1927, and it remains among the top-ten Christian titles sold annually. Biddy edited 12 more books from Oswald's material and published them under his name, never once mentioning her own.

adapted from the
    The One Year? Book of Christian History by E. Michael and Sharon Rusten (Tyndale) p 640-41
    "
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10
Working...
X