Yoga Advice/Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going on a Yoga & Meditation Weekend in November with a friend and I am new to the yoga. I've been on Amazon looking through the books and DVD's and just don't know where to start. Is there anyone out there who could recommend the best Yoga Guru to look out for, or the best DVD for beginners.

I'd really like to get an understanding of the basics so that when I go on the Weekend I can get the most out of it, although the course is for all levels of experience.

Thanks,

Dewdrop :h
    Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Maya Fiennes Kundalini Yoga

Dewdrop - I like Maya Fiennes who is a Kundalini Yoga person. I don't know much about it other than there are many different types. I think she's great but I guess it depends on the style you want. She's English and I think you would be able to find her tapes there. I ordered mine from Acacia, an online store.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hi DewDrop: If you know what "style" of yoga and meditation will be taught, I can probably guide you to appropriate resources. If not, I suggest you contact the organizers/teachers and find out what style (or you can use the word, "tradition") they teach.

The issue is that there are several best yoga (and meditation) gurus and, although it all comes from the same source, they teach with very different methods and techniques. I can imagine being overwhelmed at Amazon! I'd like to help you get some preparation for what you'll be doing so it stays cohesive.

I took my first yoga class in 1978 :H:H so I've seen a lot of how it's unfolded all around the world.
      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Dewdrop!! I am so envious! I've been taking a yoga class in my little community for about 3 years now, and it is one fitness routine I won't ever give up. It is so good for the mind, body and soul! We do a form of yoga she calls "Power yoga" it focuses on strength.

I have a few DVDs for beginners. I would think if you could learn the sun salutations you would be off to a good start. There are a lot of good videos on you tube, if you search for yoga, or what ever form of yoga they will be using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-4SFqaRGIA[/video]]YouTube - POWER HOUR FLOW FOR BEGINNERS PART1

I like Sadie, but if you go to youtube you will see there are a million choices!

Enjoy!
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thank you all so much for your advice and input so far. I have found out that the yoga teacher is Iyengar qualified which is a form of Hatha Yoga? Here was me thinking yoga was yoga and all I needed to do was buy a pair of comfy yoga pants and turn up!

Appreciate all your support.

Comment

Hi!!!
            I think that best way for beginners to start yoga classes is with expierienced teacher not DVD's..DVD's and books to read than can suggest your teacher.Why? Because in the beginning you need support and adjustments from teacher to do correct asanas, meditation etc. otherwise you can harm yourself if you try to much or you don't know precisely how to do..When you have some expierience you can start to do yoga at home alone or with DVD's...Just my suggestion..I did one yoga teacher's course..
            For beginners are small gruop classes or some individual classes after some time.
            The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
            /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

I did yoga for 2 years and absolutely LOVED it, can not recommend it highly enough.
              Can't imagine doing it via DVD but what ever gets you "in the flow"!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thank you Deebee and to everyone else who has offered advice. Yoga is quite a complicated discipline yet at its very essence is quite simple and basic, I'm not sure if I've explained that right! However I thoroughly enjoyed my yoga weekend and really appreciate the fact that yoga fits so well with my meditation. I have managed to find two classes nearby one on a Tuesday evening which is a failry energetic class and another on Thursday nights which is a much gentler routine, although just as effective, and I feel I am getting the best balance.

I did buy a dvd and a book however you are all right in that you need guidance and constant checking and monitoring both the positions and the breathing to get it right. I'd highly recommend yoga to anyone wishing to gain some balance in both their mind and body.

Comment

yoga!

Hi Dewdrop and all who wrote on this thread. I am a Registered Yoga Instructor and as you can see also a regular of MWO. I believe you chose a very good routine to attend one challenging and one gentle class a week. I started practing yoga eight years ago because of sports injuries I could not overcome. After practicing yoga I felt immediate improvement in flexibility and reduction of muscle tightness and tenseness. The other benefits that have come over time are increased strength and a more calm way of looking at things. I began my 200 hour teacher training in July of 2008 and completed it to become a registered teacher last April. I teach a weekly core conditioning and hatha class and also a gentle hot class on a weekly basis. I also try to go to two other classes a week for my personal practice.
                  Overtime it is very gratifying to see people come into yoga class for the first time and see their improvement in strength, flexibility and pain relief. If they practice at least two times a week the change is greaat. I believe that a yoga studio is best way to practice but there are many good classes in rec centers, health clubs, ymcas, etc.
                  Keep up your regular practice and he will become hooked like I have.

Comment

Thank you so much MG for your advice. I am already, in such a short space of time, finding a difference in my flexibility and suppleness and enjoy the relaxation and also the connectedness with others that I feel after an hour of yoga.

I think that I am already hooked, might even look into the teacher course you have intrigued me!

Comment

I love to do regular yoga and now learning different technique of yoga by the help of yoga DVD.

Comment

Here my guru Pollard, he little friend of ProphetHarry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQl0YUj-Oc[/video]]2 Year Old Yoga Teacher - YouTube
                        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Hi
                          I like Rodney Yee. He has a beginners DVD.
                          Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

katemidlletone;1330903 wrote: I love to do regular yoga and now learning different technique of yoga by the help of yoga DVD.
                            Back in the 1970s there was a great TV show called Lilia's Yoga. I'd do it along with her every morning before work. Maybe I should give Yoga another chance?
                            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Anyone remember her? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOerl7F1BSY[/video]]YOGA #2 - YouTube
                              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Working...
                              X