can an atheist go to heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone denies God exists but lives their life as a wonderful, caring, person who accepts others( faults and all) with a Christian type attitude and helps others in any way they can.

My father in law was such a person. Will he be in Heaven?

What do you think?
    Enough is enough

Waves, I think so..I personally believe that 'atheist', 'God', 'heaven', 'hell'...are just words and labels and that what we think of as heaven is beyond any of our own comprehension..I do think it's a state of mind/consciousness..I don't think there is any 'body' standing at the pearly gates asking what you what your mind believed in terms of labels..I do believe in 'love' as being the closest adjective that I can think of to describe the state of consciousness required to be in the state of heaven. As a christian, I focus more on what Jesus taught as being the way to that 'heaven' than I focus on proclaiming that I believe in Jesus..I don't think that is what he meant...I also believe that this message has been taught in many different ways on many different levels..so for me, believing in the launguage of a belief system isn't enough and that one could reject the language and be filled with the holy spirit all of the time, and he will be the one to enter the Kingdom of God before the one who idolized a book of words with no real experiencing of what the words pointed to.

Comment

Waves, I'm sorry you have lost your father in law but do you not see the irony of your question? I'm sure your father in law would.

Seriosuly, if there is a god, then it is the same god for everyone and surely the decency of the person comes ahead of slavish devotion to one or another of the different religious texts.

Comment

I agree with all of the above. I am supposed to be a practicing Catholic because that is what husband and I agreed upon when we decided to have children, although I find organized religion silly. We get into each Lent when we are not supposed to eat meat on Fridays. I purposely eat meat because, as I tell my husband, if the God I believe in won't let me into a better after life (assuming there is one) because I had a few bites of steak on a Friday then I don't want to be part of that club.

Waves, did your FIL pass or is he very ill? I am sorry if that is the case. I believe goodness prevails no matter what your faith is.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Dilayne, I think that was a very well put, wow!

Lush, I think the practice of not eating the steak on Friday during lent is a sacrifice, a gift that Christians give to our Lord ( I try to give up something like sugar or dairy, funny I've never been able to give up alcohol, though ), to remind us of the gift he gave us of dying on the cross for our sins. I don't view it as a requirement for salvation.

Waves, I'm so sorry your father in law passed away, I will pray tonight for peace for your heart.:l
          :h :h :h :h

Comment

Just a thought..................why would an atheist WANT to go to Heaven?
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

I do understand the theory behind it, but while my husband believes in the strictness of it, I believe we can sacrifice in different areas; not just not eating cow on a particular day of the week. Funny, how wine has never been on my list either. They teach at my daughter's school that instead of sacrificing something that they should GIVE something, i.e, their time to a nursing home, etc. and I think that is just so much more positive. And Di, I really loved what you wrote. Very much how I think as well...............

Comment

Lush, thanks...I only recently returned to the church..the Episcopal..I really love the liturgy and the ritual..I don't believe that it's 'required,' it's like a little discipline, a routine, a ritual..a way to remember my connection to God..It's just another form that I could take or leave and still feel deeply connected to God..I'm very aware that the rituals are man made. I really respect anyone's choice of religion..it's just a path, anyway..

Comment

Nancy,

I think Waves wants him to be in Heaven. I know I would want all my loved ones to be there too when I arrive.

Love to all,
                  Rachele
                  :h :h :h :h

Comment

Waves,
                    I'm sorry if my question sounded insensitive. Of course we all want our family to be with us in Heaven.

My Bible, which I consider as God's instruction to me as a believer says some very straightforth Truths about how we get to Heaven. In the Old Testament we had to follow every step of The Law Of Moses. This included acts like killing animals and of some "blood" sacrifice that the priest would take into the Holy of Holies(inner tent) and offer them to God to "pay" for our sins. But the Old Testament foretold of a Savior coming who would once and for all be "The Blood Sacrifice" for everyone's sins.
                    There were about 400 years between Old and New Testaments.
                    When Jesus came He said some very straightforth things about how to get to God, His Father. He said "I am the way the truth and the life. No man come to the Father but by me". You see when Jesus died the veil(curtain) in the Holy of Holies was torn supernaturally from the top to bottom to give us ALL access to God ,only now our High Priest is Jesus.
                    This is why Christians pray "in the name of Jesus". He is our way to relationship to God our Father.
                    He choose us.
                    All He wants from us is for us to be gratefull children and say "thank you Father". And like our earthly fathers, He longs to hear from us all day long and know that we are thinking of Him and we are ok.
                    Just a thought.
                    Love,
                    Nancy:l

Comment

Rachele, your interpretation of the question was spot on. It's me who cares about him being in heaven. He didn't believe in heaven's existence.

Thanks everyone for all your answers. Dilayne you pretty much expressed what I feel perfectly ( as usual) . Nancy, I'm not upset by your post. I wouldn't have posted the question if I didn't want honest answers.
                      Enough is enough

Comment

Waves,
                        I do KNOW that we are promised no tears in Heaven.
                        "In this world we will have tribulation, but fear not I have overcome this world."
                        Blessings of Peace to you,
                        Nancy:h

Comment

Dil,
                          Very well said.

Nancy,
                          I respect your belief. What I find difficult is that many so-called Christians do a lot of things that I think would be appalling in the eyes of God. They grind the faces of the poor into the ground with their economic policies and then go to church. This makes me sick. You, on the other hand, sound thoughtful and mindful of the totality of what it means to be Christian. "Even as you do it unto the least of thee, my brethren, you do it unto me."

Ivy

Comment

From an atheist

I thought I'd weigh in here as an atheist. Do atheists go to heaven? You've all answered this question in the above posts. However, the fact that an atheist believes in neither heaven, nor hell, nor God nor devil, perhaps makes it that much harder for those left behind that do believe to reconcile the death of an atheist. There can be no comforting thoughts of the atheist in heaven. And, without such comfort, the atheist is no longer a part of life - smiling down from wherever, or having gone to a better place to reunite with at another time. The death of an atheist is permanent.

Perhaps comfort can be taken from the life of an atheist. The acute life. The atheist loves life because the atheist believes there is no other - life ends. And, without that second chance, the life of an atheist might be slightly sharper. At least mine has been from the day I realized I was an atheist.

I'm sorry for your loss and that I have no traditional words of comfort to offer. As an atheist I welcome questions regarding my beliefs (or lack thereof) which might help in understanding. And, I thought I'd speak up - there aren't many of us out there.
                            Yah, I know Moderation; I pass it every day on my way to Excess.

Comment

Very, very profound, Blue. Thank you for your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                              X