Paraphenalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paraphenalia

I have a question for those of you with long term abs success, or long term success with sobriety as you may prefer.

Did you get rid of your paraphenalia- like your favorite martini glasses, shaker, wine glasses, port glasses, beer mug, etc? The reason I ask is because I just opened a cabinet and saw a wine glass and it was a trigger- not one I cannot fight off but a trigger nonetheless that I would prefer to do without.

I guess the longer the glasses are not used, they will gradually shift to the back of the cabinet but what about those on the wine rack? How have those with long term success on the board dealt with the paraphenalia that accompanies the booze?

Thanks! And congratulutions by the way! Well done!
    Lucky

Paraphenalia

Hi Lucky, thats a good question. I dont know cuz I only liked coors light. Anxious to see what everyone else says.
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Paraphenalia

Excellent question Lucky.

Wish I could just smash all my wine glasses, it would be a great catharses! Do you get the visual?

But, my husband would not be happy drinking his fine wines out of an OJ glass.

Hugs for you Lucky,
      Mona
      Meow-Meow
      MonaKitty

Comment

Paraphenalia

Wine glasses?? Yes, I do have a beautiful collection in my hutch, but unfortunately they are all dusty and were never used. That would be too obvious. I disguised my poison in dark plastic cups or coffee travel mugs. Now when I see them, it serves as a reminder of my insanity. I do debate whether I should toss my corkscrew. I've done it before, and ended up having to buy a new one. And what about guests? Maybe, someday, I'll feel comfortable enough to serve wine without partaking. Hmmmm....who knows??

Comment

Paraphenalia

Oh yes Gina, I can relate to the travel mugs, been there, done that. Wonder if I was fooling anyone?
          Meow-Meow
          MonaKitty

Comment

Paraphenalia

Hmmm.... I was mostly a cocktail drinker and didn't own any wine glasses. I do have a wine tool, though. I actually thought about throwing it away, but decided to keep it. Who knows, I might have a dinner party and I'm not opposed to serving wine if my guests want it, or happen to bring it for themselves.

I am not sure I would want a lot of wine glasses, racks, bottles, etc. just hanging around, though -- especially if I had been a big wine drinker.
            "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Paraphenalia

good question! Before I took the plunge to quit drinking, I had purchased lots of new wine glasses..my husband and I renewed our wedding vows a year and a half ago and I've collected a bunch..I prolonged going AF because of those darned glasses for a while!!! They are not really triggering me yet..it's only been a month, but I have been looking for creative ways to use them..we like to eat ice cream from them and I'm looking for other fun drinks to have with them...I do like alcohol free champagne myself..but I do know that AF drinks can be major triggers for alcoholics, so, I'm not recommending that. I do know that I should probably get rid of a good many of them..i certainly don't need 25 wine glasses hanging around!

Comment

Paraphenalia

Good question, mine are in a hutch in my dining room. I only get them out for special occasions which aren't that often! The last time we had wine in our house was our Thanksgiving! My mistake was pouring wine in wine glasses for my sisters, but fortuantely I didn't drink (in my seventh month of abs).....

Comment

Paraphenalia

Bren you're doing great so if I can count it's over 1 1/2 years for you?
                  Lucky good question, I have all of my glasses and stuff and have been able to keep the remainder of the booze I didn't drink in the house but not displayed like before. I'm not trying to tempt myself by keeping booze in the house but am working on the understanding that wherever I go booze will be there. Once before I mentioned that I cannot entertain the thought of drinking for over two/three seconds or the inner voice starts debating. What I visualize now when I see cocktail commercials or people drinking is they are drinking other things not adult beverages. But I have not yet served cocktails and am not comfortable with that at all, but like you said maybe some day.

I can't remember who it was but one of our friends on these boards said they were serving champagne and the glass overflowed and they almost sipped it, but caught themselves and spilled it on their guests foot - now that was quick thinking!!

Comment

Working...
                  X